If Tampa loses in the Final -- changes coming?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
They are the most skilled team in the league with talent that's been brewing since the last time they made the Finals. Give them a pass for that because they were going up against the dynasty Hawks with a young core + Stamkos coming off of injury.

Since then, this is their track record:
  • Lose 4-3 in CF -- 2016
  • Missed playoffs (odd year) -- 2017
  • Lose 4-3 in CF -- 2018
  • Swept in QF -- 2019
  • Finals?? -- 2020
You can argue that since 2017/18, they have been the best team in the league and have proven it with dominance in the regular season. Last year was such an embarrassment on top of getting shutout in the final 2 elimination games in 2018 against the Caps, they have shown a tendency to fold.

Now I'd say they somehow semi-made up for it by doing what they should've done last year by at-least making the Finals. They are heavily favoured with tons of playoff experience on that roster. If they lose though, do you see changes coming? This would be 3 years straight of having a monster contender not get it done when it matters most.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Probably the cliche "fire and replace the coach" stuff. They are a good team and they don't need much changed. Eventually it has to all come together. It eventually did for Washington.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You don't mess around with teams having regular success. It takes a lot more than skill to win the cup.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
You just have to keep trying. This year is the closest we've ever gone and we seem to have found a style that uses our strengths and is successful at the playoffs. The cup is a really hard trophy to win. You have to run it back with this team.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
if they lose changes will absolutely come in hopes it gets them closer to the cup.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Changes will be coming to that team regardless, due to the salary cap.

As for changes that may have an impact on the general makeup of the team? I can't see too many of those.

They did add some sandpaper to their team this year, compared to last year, and all three series this year shows that they can survive against physical teams. In 2018 against the Capitals and 2019 against the Blue Jackets, it appeared that playing them physical was their weakness. I don't think that is a weakness anymore.

They also learned from previous years, 2019 specifically, that the regular season is meant to be paced and not sprinted. I think they focussed too much on the wins and points record in 2019 that they had nothing left in the tank come the Playoffs. I even recall Tampa Bay playing some banged-up players down the stretch in 2019, rather than resting them for the Playoffs, because they wanted those wins and points records so badly.

The same thing happened to Detroit in 1996. In fact, it was during Detroit's 2 weakest regular seasons that they finally ended up winning their 2 Stanley Cups in the 1990s. They were stronger in the regular season during 1993-1996, but only finally won the Stanley Cup in 1997 when they learned to pace themselves during the regular season.

It would depend on how they would potentially lose against Dallas that would determine if any noticeable changes are made to their team. For example, does Dallas end up exposing a significant weakness that isn't apparent or obvious right now? If Dallas were to to do, then changes would be made. But I can't see what that significant weakness would be at the moment, since everything seems to be clicking so well for them at the moment in all areas.

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
.....but this is the team they have AFTER making changes and it's gotten from from 'lul Tampa chokers' to Stanley Cup Final.... so like, what?

I'd keep the entire team the same (even if I think Killorn and Johnson kinda suck), it's gotten them this far.

Reactions: Bluesguru

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
.....but this is the team they have AFTER making changes and it's gotten from from 'lul Tampa chokers' to Stanley Cup Final.... so like, what?

I'd keep the entire team the same (even if I think Killorn and Johnson kinda suck), it's gotten them this far.
We have to move cap out to keep Cirelli and Sergachev, and those are the two most likely to move (or maybe get bought out in the latter case).

Reactions: Riseonfire

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If we lose in the Finals we still came pretty close with an injured Point and without Stamkos. Change will come either way due to our salary cap and RFA situation though. Some middle pieces will be replaced, some talent likely lost but we’ll see. We have faced “cap hell” like three years in a row now and always found a way to stay competitive.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
In a league with soon to be 32 teams, the lightening have been incredibly successful.

You dont tear that team apart if they haven't won the big prize yet. You make a little tweak here and there.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would really depend on how exactly the would happen to lose. If they get slapped and lose in 4 or 5 games with little fight then ya I could see something more drastic happening. If it's a hard fought 7 game series and they just barely lose then no, nothing huge is likely to happen.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
The regular season is nothing like the playoffs, and the team that plays in the 1st round is nothing like the team that plays in the finals. TB is so banged up. Point is probably 50%, and it's almost certain that Kuch, Palat, and Cirelli have been nursing injuries. Stamkos hasn't even played. So I don't know how you can even think about making changes when, to be honest, the fate of the team lies more with injury luck than anything else right now. And this goes for both teams. The compressed schedule has certainly made this worse.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
TBay made the much needed changes after losing to CBJ. They added the straight line, hard to play against guys needed for playoff success. Their skilled guys see how those new guys are playing and (now) following their coach’s insistence to play north - south, and no longer sacrifice playing the right way to score points.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Tampa is built to to win a shortened season like this one. Now way they lose this.

They should make changes regardless to improve their chances of winning for future seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad