If Phoenix gets expansion. Is Murelo the owner?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I agree.

I hope I can just buy a regular streaming service to watch Utah games. I don’t want this OTA junk anymore and I’m not buying cable or satellite.

The Bally App was the best thing ever for me. Spoiler for DVR that never had issues and was priced reasonably per month.

I wonder if the Jazz have a good streaming/DVR service. And if so, I wonder if Smith can just add the hockey team to it and I can just buy the Utah service.
Man I f***ing knew it. The ONLY silver lining was the possibility of getting Center Ice (or whatever they call it these days) again and being able to watch the team without any blackout bullshit. I was never able to use Scripps because it had very limited support (E.g. no app or browser support on Xbox/PS5) and to top it off from what you're saying it sounds like it's not a great experience anyway. Man I swear if anything went right for Coyotes fans I assume the universe would instantly collapse into a black hole.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Who would report it locally?? It's been very obvious for a long time that the only local reporter, Morgan, is noting more than Team PR and was never gonna rock the boat.
If you're relying on reporters, that's your first problem. This isn't Toronto.

I will never blame Gary for our situation or losing our team, like some of our Canadian friends like to do for their situation and the rest of the league fanbase. He went out on a limb for my team. Did more than I would ever expect from a commish.
I wouldn't either, not entirely, but he should have kept his mouth shut about Glendale not being sustainable. Nothing positive comes from that type of rhetoric.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Even if it were true it'd be irrelevant, I think we all know that the players' opinions of Mullett had nothing to do with the sale of the team. It was likely more of a "ok AM even if you win the Desert Ridge auction can you actually get this entertainment district built in a reasonable time" and after AM f***ed up the Tempe vote (and hasn't even met with the mayor of Phoenix yet), Bettman is right to be skeptical. And you can't stay in a college arena indefinitely.

Anyway this is just our resident Leafs troll trying to troll one last time before F40 goes inactive. More power to him I guess
I sincerely believe they were terrified of a playoff appearance at the Mullett, Gary slipped in the pressure today, giving that theory a confidence boost.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The premise that Alex and Alex Jr were involved in hand picking players is absurd.
Scared the hell out of me when he said now I know how it all works, or something to that effect. I mean, on the chance we do get a team back here, does he think he and Jr can have a roll in such, when the best thing he did was stay the hell away from hockey ops..... terrifiying

My confidence level in his abilities was low and now it is less.
I don't know if my confidence is higher, but I now understand why he stays away from public speaking. Shines a brighter light on the cheese that is XG though and why a guy who doesn't seem to grasp such would choose the cheese.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I hope that AM fails and we never see him again.
Or to say it with the words of the german dub of "The good, the bad and the ugly":

Then you apparently don't want a team in the valley, because no one in their right mind would give it a shot here. Look no further than all the suiters we've had.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Then you apparently don't want a team in the valley, because no one in their right mind would give it a shot here. Look no further than all the suiter we've had.
The thing is we all want a team here. We also would love a team that is successful.
But hearing from the presser i doubt that AM will deliver that.
Really there has to be another way, because AM is not able to do that.
And even if today was just him having media anxiety, its still bad. And things will come out over the next weeks that will destroy his reputation more and more.

If we want a team, we need another person to do it. Thas a simple fact. And I know it can work here. But you have to convince the right people to do it. That is gonna be hard. But in my mind it is possible. But AM is so toxic to the valley that he does not have the means to pull it off.

Reactions: PainForShane

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
The thing is we all want a team here. We also would love a team that is successful.
And even if today was just him having media anxiety, its still bad. And things will come out over the next weeks that will destroy his reputation more and more.

If we want a team, we need another person to do it. Thas a simple fact. And I know it can work here. But you have to convince the right people to do it. That is gonna be hard. But in my mind it is possible. But AM is so toxic to the valley that he does not have the means to pull it off.
He’s got a lot of work to do, but as of now he’s unfortunately the best option to make it happen. You don’t need to be good at talking to build a building. And while it’s gonna obviously take more than just building a building, it gives us our best shot at getting a team back in the foreseeable future..

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

AM's already done it. I think we can all agree that our current on-ice situation has the best outlook the team has ever had here and AM was at the helm.

You seem overly concerned with judging a book by it's cover, that's never wise.

Maybe don't hold your breath on what's going to "come out," you might turn blue.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@JasonDemersWasOkay yeah its seems like that.
But I doubt the NHL sees it like that. They are throwing him a bone. Say all the right things.
But behind closesd doors they are hoping for him to fail.
Therefore I will take a leave of absence till the building is completed or a new owner is around.

@Coyotedroppings
I never try to, but right now this situation is too weird and too fluid for me to not think that this is gonna fail. I might be wrong and everything will turn up great. But i doubt it.
And yes I am happy with the On-Ice product. I always will defend that and I was and will be the last to say somebody fcked up. But this changed over the week.
I still love the way they handled the rebuild but they flunked the other stuff. And that makes me not trust them.

If they want to do this and succeed then they need somebody to hold his hands, call the shots and be the public person. Nobody would be better in the valley for that than Shane Doan. IF they get him. It can work. If they get him I will give them a bit more trust. But I doubt that they will get him as the face of the franchise.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
He’s got a lot of work to do, but as of now he’s unfortunately the best option to make it happen. You don’t need to be good at talking to build a building. And while it’s gonna obviously take more than just building a building, it gives us our best shot at getting a team back in the foreseeable future..
Work to do and a lot to learn.... I think he's already learned quite a bit.

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023
He wasn't forced to sell. He was provided an opportunity to sell a portion of the franchise for ~3 times the perceived value of the entire franchise. He wasn't going to get a better deal than what the NHL offered him.

We do not know if he would have gotten another offer because no other potential buyers were notified and given an opportunity to submit an offer.
The league is constantly exploring other options privately. Years in advance. They already know what the appetite is in a place like QC with regards to price, ownership, and how the other owners feel about it. It's why Quebec doesn't have a team despite deserving one. The math isn't mathing. Winnipeg's downturn isn't helping matters.

Brother it's a professional hockey franchise, and a billion dollar one at that. The market is limited and the league controls all the relevant levers. We had an entire long ass court case to reaffirm that. I don't know what "ineptitude" you've actually seen.

Hard to show damages when you're talking purely hypotheticals AND you profited massively off of the transaction that did go through. Meruelo gave them this legal recourse with his behavior, any slight misgivings he has are irrelevant at that point. It's mostly just a massive hit to his outsized ego.

We have no idea if they had discussions with other investors and even if they did that is different than a marketed auction process by an independent third party. Additionally, AM was adament that he was not going to sell until the NHL forced him to, so any prior discussions the NHL had with potential investors, were tainted from the get go. Why would a potential investor submit an offer for a business that is not for sale?

Contrary to what you might believe, sports franchises sometimes are sold in auctions run by investment banks. They are typically private auctions and only include a small pool of potential buyers, but because the investment bank is independent, and they do reach out to multiple probable buyers, they can ensure it is a fair deal. The NHL forcing AM to sell the team to a friend of the chairman without approaching other buyers is not independent.

Just because AM made money does not mean he was not damaged. If a Houston investor group knew the Coyotes were for sale, and were willing to pay $2bn, he still got damaged. We will never know because the NHL did not look at any other options after they decided to force a sale through.

I do think the option was key to getting this deal through because they will argue AM still has the opportunity to own a team once the team meets NHL requirements. AM also was able to negotiate for and get something he wanted, which could be evidence against coercion on the deal. Where the NHL could run into issues is if they did not offer that option in good faith and plan/hope AM fails.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Scared the hell out of me when he said now I know how it all works, or something to that effect. I mean, on the chance we do get a team back here, does he think he and Jr can have a roll in such, when the best thing he did was stay the hell away from hockey ops..... terrifiying
Jr will be the new GM now that he knows what he's doing. :laugh:

How embarrassing for Gary to have to clarify AM's comment about hating the media.
"he doesn't really hate the media."

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Jr will be the new GM now that he knows what he's doing. :laugh:

How embarrassing for Gary to have to clarify AM's comment about hating the media.
"he doesn't really hate the media."
More empathy from Gary. Embarrassing to AM and his family.

Edit: I've got some similar experience and the embarrassment is short lived, when theirs love and respect for a self made man, willing to try new things when he could have easily retired decades ago.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Man I f***ing knew it. The ONLY silver lining was the possibility of getting Center Ice (or whatever they call it these days) again and being able to watch the team without any blackout bullshit. I was never able to use Scripps because it had very limited support (E.g. no app or browser support on Xbox/PS5) and to top it off from what you're saying it sounds like it's not a great experience anyway. Man I swear if anything went right for Coyotes fans I assume the universe would instantly collapse into a black hole.
Maybe the Jazz have a reply nice streaming platform that the Yetis will just be tacked onto?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe the Jazz have a reply nice streaming platform that the Yetis will just be tacked onto?
If you have a Chromecast, there is a CoyotesCentral/Scripps streaming app. I used it all this season. It's excellent. I'm sure it will be what Utah uses.

rt

May 13, 2004
If you have a Chromecast, there is a CoyotesCentral/Scripps streaming app. I used it all this season. It's excellent. I'm sure it will be what Utah uses.
I thought you couldn’t record it and watch later and couldn’t fast forward through commercials? Like it’s 20 years ago or something. Did they fix that?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Man I swear if anything went right for Coyotes fans I assume the universe would instantly collapse into a black hole.
Lol. Next year we're gonna get exactly 42 wins (wink wink Hitchhiker reference that I'm pretty sure you'll get) and then .... FWOOOOOP!!! .... Void.

• Haha
Reactions: Sinurgy

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I thought you couldn’t record it and watch later and couldn’t fast forward through commercials? Like it’s 20 years ago or something. Did they fix that?
They offered full game rewatches, IIRC. That's about all I know.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Watching Gary lose patience little by little with AM responses was so funny. Finally just grabbed his arm at the end to shut him up. This was nothing short of stroke of genius by Gary on all accounts. Unless Utah fails within next 15 years.

AM stays out of microphones for the exact reason we all saw today! Guy speaks his mind for better or for worse! Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least he is smart enough to realize that. As long as he writes the check, I will be happy to have him as my owner.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004
Watching Gary lose patience little by little with AM responses was so funny. Finally just grabbed his arm at the end to shut him up. This was nothing short of stroke of genius by Gary on all accounts. Unless Utah fails within next 15 years.
Watch the Smith presser. If he leaves the hockey to BA then Utah will be just fine.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Gary to Alex: "Why are you so *^%#*&$ awkward, bud?"
And that’s saying something, I watched both pressers today. I thought Bettman at one point wanted to walk out on Meruelo. I laughed when he cut him off when AM was nattering on about the history of AZ Yotes hockey, basically told him to shut up without telling him to. The guy is the most uninspiring advocate for AZ hockey I think I’ve ever heard speak. I wish AZ good luck because if he’s the guy….woof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad