If Phoenix gets expansion. Is Murelo the owner?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Listening to the Gambo interview.

"The team is still there" is one of his favorite things to say. Yeah? We have a team in Arizona right now Mr Meruelo? June 27th is when the franchise is going to be reactivated? Yeah? Uhuh. Okay buddy.

The people who use the arena are going to be taxed, but not the taxpayers? And that's something you're looking for from Phoenix? Uhuh. Okay.

"If it doesn't work with me, it won't work for anyone" Oh? Yeah? That's what Bettman said?

Guy brags about keeping the RR. "This never happens, btw".

I only listened, but after watching some of the podcast too that was posted earlier, yeah, that dude is a walking slimeball and reminds me a ton of Trump.

Overinflated ego for sure.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
My take on the situation is this:

The NHL had a big Coyotes and Meruelo's problem. To have it solved, at least in such partially, in such a short period of time is quite extraordinary.

Gary and co are very seasoned and experienced and lawyers- they are achieving this right now:

- getting/selling a franchise to a much better owner in a market they are ok with (Smith and SLC)
- keeping the other owners and the NHLPA happy
- partly severing the relationship with Meruelo

Quite the coup.

The compromise is that Meruelo is still around somewhere in the background and is given a chance. The devil will be in the details of how that chance is really being provided - hopefully we should know more today or in the coming days about the "hoops" Meruelo needs to jump to get the franchise reactivated.

It will likely be a bunch of challenging and exhausting things as reported in the last week, not impossible of course, but that the NHL is comfortable that it won't happen.

Honestly, you have to be a little mad to pursue such a massive arena/neighbourhood project, that will cost you an absolute fortune in the end (as the billion will need to be returned + cost of the auction + cost of building everything etc.) under a timescale that is not that long all things considered (usual opposition, delays etc.) in a public opinion environment that is VERY negative.

Gary is also probably hoping that Meruelo comes to his senses at some point and just take the billion, and move on. It could also be that this already happens by end of June if Meruelo's do not bid at the auction in the end.

Maybe that's the plan all along, it would not be the first time that Meruelo's nose would prove longer than Pinocchio's.

It is likely that there have been conversations with Ishbia - that's the type of owners the NHL want. Ishbia has much greater local pull power and influence than Meruelo.

The Suns are going to need a new arena at some point. To have at least two franchises sharing it from a same owner is a proven model that works - see Denver, Utah I suppose etc.

That's the goal for the NHL - maybe a likely goal for Ishbia too; and he has already set a business up to develop a sport franchises portfolio. This is very speculative on my part though.

The NHL probably wants hockey back in Phoenix but is absolutely not a rush for this to happen. Timing with Ishbia would work: 10-15 years.

It sucks for us but would be better in the long term.

It could also simply be that Ishbia is not interested at all, let's be honest.

If that's the case, considering all the problems getting an arena and a ownership group that works, we may be looking at a much more distant time when the NHL hockey eventually returns.

But let's go back to now and yeah, Meruelo can give it a go - and if he makes it happen, great - hockey will be back in the Valley in a few years. The NHL, owners and NHLPA probably won't be that thrilled, I bet, but hey they can deal with that there and then, I suppose.

Meruelo seems very much a bit of an oddity so who knows really. Maybe he should rename the Tucson Roadrunners to Tempe Locos if they come to the Mullet and he pursues the whole project wholeheartedly; that would be a good reflection of the situation considering what Meruelo is trying to achieve and how unpopular he is.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
interesting that he talks about it not being fair to the players as a driver of the decision. He also says he has seen other buyers over the years. I am sure he has but at what price and terms? Not great I suspect and the NHL wasn't onboard.

Economics and money are always the real driver.

He didn't say; "I sold the team at a big discount or I lost a ton of money but I am doing the right thing for the players".

What he should say or could say: "The Utah buyout came along, is all cash and I get paid $550 mill more then what I paid for the team. This is a huge windfall, I had to take it. And to top it off, the NHL gave me a 5 year option at the same price to get a new franchise. We all know franchise values are going up, so I will get a new franchise at 50% or more less than the going rate in the future."

Now he dealt with sins of the past and all kinds of head winds, some not his fault. What he completely mishandled was the Tempe vote/arena. The money is almost always made when you buy, and he purchased a scarce asset at a distressed price, knowing franchise values will be higher in the future, he was right.

I don't care about a new team in 5 years, might or might not happen. I might be somewhere else or have other interests by then.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm with you in it's plausibility. I don't like the way he goes about many things and have been quite vocal against him and his group of "asshats." I do believe he can learn from mistakes (aka, not an idiot), but he's not overly personable and has little time to be hands on and that seems to bother many.

Most importantly folks are pissed right now, even though they should have seen the writing on the wall some time ago and the lynch mob mentality is prevalent..... folks love a scapegoat, when they're frustrated.
"Not overly personable." You hit the nail on the head. He likes to pat himself on the back. He stuck his neck out, let's see if we end up patting his back or kicking his ass.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
interesting that he talks about it not being fair to the players as a driver of the decision. He also says he has seen other buyers over the years. I am sure he has but at what price and terms? Not great I suspect and the NHL wasn't onboard.

Economics and money are always the real driver.

He didn't say; "I sold the team at a big discount or I lost a ton of money but I am doing the right thing for the players".

What he should say or could say: "The Utah buyout came along, is all cash and I get paid $550 mill more then what I paid for the team. This is a huge windfall, I had to take it. And to top it off, the NHL gave me a 5 year option at the same price to get a new franchise. We all know franchise values are going up, so I will get a new franchise at 50% or more less than the going rate in the future."

Now he dealt with sins of the past and all kinds of head winds, some not his fault. What he completely mishandled was the Tempe vote/arena. The money is almost always made when you buy, and he purchased a scarce asset at a distressed price, knowing franchise values will be higher in the future, he was right.

I don't care about a new team in 5 years, might or might not happen. I might be somewhere else or have other interests by then.
The quote below is from Friedman and I'm guessing played a major role in this move. Most people were OK with Mullett short term and we got very few loud complaints and almost none from Coyote's Players. But you could sense that the noise was increasing and while Mullett was great for a game or two the voices were getting louder. I highly doubt Friedman writes that last sentence if Coyote's Players didn't tell him their OTR real feelings on Mullett.

"The NHL got queasier as it became clear the auction would be scheduled for late June. There were too many variables. What if Meruelo lost? Even if he won, the earliest the new arena would be ready was fall 2027. Three more years in Mullett Arena appealed to no one — especially the Coyotes players."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Listening to the Gambo interview.

"The team is still there" is one of his favorite things to say. Yeah? We have a team in Arizona right now Mr Meruelo? June 27th is when the franchise is going to be reactivated? Yeah? Uhuh. Okay buddy.

The people who use the arena are going to be taxed, but not the taxpayers? And that's something you're looking for from Phoenix? Uhuh. Okay.

"If it doesn't work with me, it won't work for anyone" Oh? Yeah? That's what Bettman said?

Guy brags about keeping the RR. "This never happens, btw".

I only listened, but after watching some of the podcast too that was posted earlier, yeah, that dude is a walking slimeball and reminds me a ton of Trump.

Overinflated ego for sure.
Nothing wrong with Trump. Another billionaire with an ego. Most have one.

• Haha
Reactions: Sinurgy and Kaizen

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Even if Muerello wins the auction, brings the team back, does everything he just said:

I don’t believe this succeeds unless he hires a CEO who has experience in owning or running a sports team.. Muerello is a businessman and thinks like a businessman.. that ain’t going to work

I have absolutely no worry that he can’t deliver on the building of the arena and doing what he said.. he does real estate developments all over the states..

Will Phoenix work with him to expedite all the permit? I don’t know if the city wants to hear updates or information from the news rather than the source

But in any case.. I don’t think thinking like a business man and not like a fan works.. He doesn’t seem to get it … He thinks he pulled off a victory by keeping the name.. ( and maybe he did) but Fans care about the players .. that’s who the team is..

It’s like he is saying “ don’t worry everyone .. all is well , we still have the name and logo”

The other thing is he and XG . wherever he is, seem to have a habit of causing stress and uncertainty by making statements to media and not understanding that everyone will read or hear about it..

Example not telling ASU they are moving the roadrunners to Mullet.. Not telling the Tucson staff.. Not telling the city of Tucson they are breaking the lease..

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The quote below is from Friedman and I'm guessing played a major role in this move. Most people were OK with Mullett short term and we got very few loud complaints and almost none from Coyote's Players. But you could sense that the noise was increasing and while Mullett was great for a game or two the voices were getting louder. I highly doubt Friedman writes that last sentence if Coyote's Players didn't tell him their OTR real feelings on Mullett.

"The NHL got queasier as it became clear the auction would be scheduled for late June. There were too many variables. What if Meruelo lost? Even if he won, the earliest the new arena would be ready was fall 2027. Three more years in Mullett Arena appealed to no one — especially the Coyotes players."
So the players were fine with another two years, but not three? Anyway, it's done, we have to look ahead and hope AM pulls this off.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So the players were fine with another two years, but not three? Anyway, it's done, we have to look ahead and hope AM pulls this off.
I think you can be fairly confident that the Players were never fine with it, they just tolerated it to get to a better place. And you say one year yet just last year it was Tempe getting done and now 12 months later there really isn't any concrete plan??

Edit: remember Jakey as some of us starting hearing the PA get a little more vocal and Mureulo giving them no updates folks like yourself wanted Mureulo to tell them to pound sand as it's none of their business. That's not looking like such a smart business decision now is it.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think what wil really tell the tale is Craig Morgan’s interview today.. I wonder if AM cancels it. Craig it sounds like won’t pull any punches ( though I haven’t witnessed him do this before)

He says he will ask follow questions and push for answers and I am really dive deep.. I can’t wait because all interviews I have heard so far have been pretty easy

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Even if Muerello wins the auction, brings the team back, does everything he just said:

I don’t believe this succeeds unless he hires a CEO who has experience in owning or running a sports team.. Muerello is a businessman and thinks like a businessman.. that ain’t going to work

I have absolutely no worry that he can’t deliver on the building of the arena and doing what he said.. he does real estate developments all over the states..

Will Phoenix work with him to expedite all the permit? I don’t know if the city wants to hear updates or information from the news rather than the source

But in any case.. I don’t think thinking like a business man and not like a fan works.. He doesn’t seem to get it … He thinks he pulled off a victory by keeping the name.. ( and maybe he did) but Fans care about the players .. that’s who the team is..

It’s like he is saying “ don’t worry everyone .. all is well , we still have the name and logo”

The other thing is he and XG . wherever he is, seem to have a habit of causing stress and uncertainty by making statements to media and not understanding that everyone will read or hear about it..

Example not telling ASU they are moving the roadrunners to Mullet.. Not telling the Tucson staff.. Not telling the city of Tucson they are breaking the lease..
I agree, but he has to think like a businessman not a fan to get this done. AM has to temper his arrogance and have a spokesman other than the not very likeable XG. Also, they have to make sure Shane Doan is given part ownership, CEO and spokesman of the team. Not saying that has to happen tomorrow, but before the arena opens. Doan will have time to hon his skills for the next four years. I believe Shane Doan has to be part of this somehow. The ownership and the COP have to know what a treasure they have in Shane Doan. Shane Doan gave his life and soul to this team, city and state.

I think you can be fairly confident that the Players were never fine with it, they just tolerated it to get to a better place. And you say one year yet just last year it was Tempe getting done and now 12 months later there really isn't any concrete plan??

Edit: remember Jakey as some of us starting hearing the PA get a little more vocal and Mureulo giving them no updates folks like yourself wanted Mureulo to tell them to pound sand as it's none of their business. That's not looking like such a smart business decision now is it.
I still stand by that. Walsh is going to be a big problem for the NHL.

Reactions: Llewzaher

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I hope the market decides.

While I think Meruelo actually does want to prove people wrong, and build this thing just to spite people. I think a lot of damage has been done under his Ownership.

No idea if Ishbia is the answer, as not only is he not even a local owner, but it seems he has heart eyes for the NBA and Basketball, but not much else. If he were to get involved, would he even care about the team along with the fan base or would it just be to fill dates ?

I hope fans understand what I mean when I say this, but I hope the League waits for the right owner to come a long, so that this thing gets done properly right from the get go, and that the Potential Owner is passionate and gives the Yotes fans what they deserve.

Being a fan of a popular team is easy, but Die Hards stick around through the worst of it, so I hope you guys gets your flowers one day soon.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
While I think Meruelo actually does want to prove people wrong, and build this thing just to spite people. I think a lot of damage has been done under his Ownership.

Meruelo does want to prove people wrong. His ego won't allow him not to.

The problem is, his ego doesn't have anything near the people skills, political skills, and community-building skills required to build a successful sports franchise anywhere, much less here in Arizona.

He is the wrong guy for the job, no matter what size his checkbook might actually be.

Every indication I've seen from his public statements (ALL TWO OF THEM IN THE WHOLE TIME HE'S BEEN OWNER) and from his actions, both confirmed and alleged, tells me that all he's going to provide us if he establishes an expansion team is more of the same bullshit we had to put up with over the past quarter-century plus.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just listened to Ryan Smith on YouTube. Seems like a very likeable guy, so down to earth. No wonder the NHL liked him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The players thing is window dressing, not saying players or PA weren't happy, thats not why he sold the team. AM cut a great exit sale price deal. AM has a history of buying low, renovating, then turning it into a cash flowing asset. In this case, it was never a cash flow play, it was a scarce asset he purchased at a low price that increased in value.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
The players thing is window dressing, not saying players or PA weren't happy, thats not why he sold the team. AM cut a great exit sale price deal. AM has a history of buying low, renovating, then turning it into a cash flowing asset. In this case, it was never a cash flow play, it was a scarce asset he purchased at a low price that increased in value.

100% agree. He's not selling the team at $500m regardless of the players' feelings, he needed that cool billion. His on the record remark of "oh I'm selling the team because this position isn't fair to the players" what are you even saying, no one believes you.

I wish he would've just said something normal. Something like, "I'm fully committed to hockey in Arizona but the NHL gave me a deal I just couldn't refuse. We're going to do our best to win the auction and build the arena in Desert Ridge, once we do that we've been promised an expansion team.

Obviously this is terrible for all involved, but with hope the decades of instability and will be over when we introduce the new Arizona Coyotes during our home opener at Desert Ridge in 2029"

Instead he repeatedly says some version of "we still have the team, nothing's changed" what a clown. I'm relatively young (early 40s) but personally wouldn't mind waiting a few decades to get a team run by someone who is not incompetent or a continual liar. Hopefully we get there at some point after this Meruelo clown goes away

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I agree, but he has to think like a businessman not a fan to get this done. AM has to temper his arrogance and have a spokesman other than the not very likeable XG. Also, they have to make sure Shane Doan is given part ownership, CEO and spokesman of the team. Not saying that has to happen tomorrow, but before the arena opens. Doan will have time to hon his skills for the next four years. I believe Shane Doan has to be part of this somehow. The ownership and the COP have to know what a treasure they have in Shane Doan. Shane Doan gave his life and soul to this team, city and state.

I still stand by that. Walsh is going to be a big problem for the NHL.
Keeping your employees happy is part of being a good business owner. If he can't even do that, what is the hope of him bringing the hockey team back?

I hope he goes off back to Nevada and the Coyotes/Roadrunners have a new owner when they come back.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Just listened to Ryan Smith on YouTube. Seems like a very likeable guy, so down to earth. No wonder the NHL liked him.
"Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloak themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.Waiting for the right climate in which to flourish."

Captain Picard

Don't trust people who are too nice. The quote should also apply to AM when He bought the team.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Note to all: Jamieh's reference to Coyote's players, or even a single Coyote player is completely and entirely speculative on his part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad