If Ovechkin Wins His Eighth Rocket Richard Trophy, Will He Be The GOAT Goal Scorer?

Will Ovechkin be the greatest goal scorer ever if he wins an eighth Rocket Richard trophy?

• Total voters

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think he arguably already is and if he wins this year with respectable totals (50 or more) I'd have him as the clear #1.

To be honest, I don't really see who should be ranked ahead of him in that situation.

Reactions: Hippasus

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Pretty much. I was not completely aboard the train, but last seasons victory (following the 35 goal year) and another one this season might settle it. I would like for him to reach around Gordie's total however. So 800.

In regards to the bold text, that is something along the lines of what I think. Gretzky scored 92 goals (212points) when Kurri and Lumely were 80 point getters and no good goal scores. He pretty much had to do it himself. Once Kurri got better Gretzky turned in to his more preferred playmaking position. So for example "Only" 52 goals along with his 215 point season.

In Lemieux's case I hate the what ifs. But to be fair. IF he had not been injured as much, his goal totals would be more extreme and he would be considered as better than Ovechkin. Up until his first retirement his goals total pretty much trailed his games by around a hundred. After a three year hiatus he scored 35 goals in 43 games in the dead puck era. So I'm willing to call Lemieux a better goalscorer.

Edit: I mean if you needed a goal would you prefer a prime Ovechkin or a prime Lemieux? Mario just had so many more ways in which he could score a goal.
Let’s not kid ourselves. Lemieux was a better goal scorer than Ovechkin.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Ovechkin has a higher goals per game than Gretzky in an era where goals are far harder to get, so I think that debate isn't much of a debate, even though Ovechkin is pretty unlikely to end up higher than Gretzky since he likely won't get as many goals as he keeps playing.

Ovechkin vs. Lemieux might be a real debate though. I'd still say Ovechkin

Reactions: WingsFan95

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Let’s not kid ourselves. Lemieux was a better goal scorer than Ovechkin.
That's pretty much what I said. But Ovie will still be considered the best goalscorer if he beats 894.

I would obviously pick Mario 10 out of 10 over Ovie if I needed a goal and even if Mario wasn't allowed to pass at all.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Already is. As much as I admire the Golden Jet for his 7 it was simply a different league and as much as people want to glorify the 6 team era for having more concentrated talent on teams you also often had 1 of the 6 be a doormat if not 2 so you'd have plenty of easy nights.

So yeah, getting the 8th just stamps it on the record books so we don't have silly debates.

Mario Lemieux is the greatest goalscorer of all-time for me.

I think generally when this question is asked it's about careers. Lemieux had inflated totals because of the era as well as Gretzky so can't take his numbers at face value per say, although even in this era he'd be able to garner 70+ as he showed in his twilight years with shortened seasons. However for his career Lemieux really only separated himself in 4 seasons. And I'm including 93 where he played 60 games. Health does play a factor in careers so even in 01 when he gets 35 in 43 games, although he might challenge Bure in a full season that's hypothetical.

In a clutch situation I'd take the Rocket, Lemieux and Bossy myself but for careers I do think Ovechkin has just done too much. 1st in 7 seasons looking at 8 and 3rd two other seasons. It's just too obscene now.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ovechkin has a chance of being the highest scorer while playing primarily in a low scoring period.

He already is the GOAT.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
you mean by shooting it thru the legs of a goalie standing straight up wearing newspapers? Want Ovi to get to Gretzkys record but he doesn't have to. Also 535 assists good for 152nd all time Assists per game. Not bad for a non-center turret.
Well... how many goals would Ovi have scored with the sticks Gretzky was using?

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
you mean by shooting it thru the legs of a goalie standing straight up wearing newspapers? Want Ovi to get to Gretzkys record but he doesn't have to. Also 535 assists good for 152nd all time Assists per game. Not bad for a non-center turret.
This. Ovi ainec.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Well... how many goals would Ovi have scored with the sticks Gretzky was using?
The light weight whip action of the new sticks does give an advantage todays players but its not like they were swinging tree branchs. Imo the quality of the goalies today compared to those in the 80s is a much larger leap. When watching the 80s highlights it looks as though goalies were not even aloud to drop down to cover the majority of the net. like they tried but were tied to the crossbar. Its not their fault, the goalie position simply had not evolved yet. Gretzky obviously was a talent ahead of his era but that doesn't change that the goalies were 2 eras behind.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The light weight whip action of the new sticks does give an advantage todays players but its not like they were swinging tree branchs. Imo the quality of the goalies today compared to those in the 80s is a much larger leap. When watching the 80s highlights it looks as though goalies were not even aloud to drop down to cover the majority of the net. like they tried but were tied to the crossbar. Its not their fault, the goalie position simply had not evolved yet. Gretzky obviously was a talent ahead of his era but that doesn't change that the goalies were 2 eras behind.
I think the point is, it's not a big advantage that Gretzky had. The goalies were different but so was the equipment to score the goals. Plus a myriad of other little details. And Gretzky did lead the league 5 times, everybody was shooting at those same goaltenders. Gretzky was a different type of goal scorer, it doesn't mean that he wasn't just as effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad