If Ovechkin Wins His Eighth Rocket Richard Trophy, Will He Be The GOAT Goal Scorer?

Will Ovechkin be the greatest goal scorer ever if he wins an eighth Rocket Richard trophy?

• Total voters

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Assuming it's another 50 goal season, I think so, since he's also had a pretty good playoff record in regards to goal scoring. Howe might be close but would probably be behind in career value if Ovechkin were to win an eighth Rocket.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yup he's already got it. Its pretty much a 50/50 as to weather or not he beats Gretzky's record, but he's already proven he's the GOAT goalscorer.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I would vote for "he arguably already is and a eight Rocket won't make much difference". I mean if we look at purely goalscoring I believe his case is already very strong, that said if someone like Lemieux or Gretzky(The usual suspects) focused more on goalscoring and sacrificed a bit of their playmaking I wouldn't be so sure. An eight Rocket would however, in my eyes, make him the most accomplished goalscorer of all time.

I also believe his competition in the latter years is not all that great so his number of actual Rockets might have been lower in another era but as I said that doesn't take away from his capacity.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I would vote for "he arguably already is and a eight Rocket won't make much difference". I mean if we look at purely goalscoring I believe his case is already very strong, that said if someone like Lemieux or Gretzky focused more on goalscoring and sacrificed a bit of their playmaking I wouldn't be so sure.

I also believe his competition in the latter years is not all that great so his number of actual Rockets might have been lower in another era but as I said that doesn't take away from his capacity.

Pretty much. I was not completely aboard the train, but last seasons victory (following the 35 goal year) and another one this season might settle it. I would like for him to reach around Gordie's total however. So 800.

In regards to the bold text, that is something along the lines of what I think. Gretzky scored 92 goals (212points) when Kurri and Lumely were 80 point getters and no good goal scores. He pretty much had to do it himself. Once Kurri got better Gretzky turned in to his more preferred playmaking position. So for example "Only" 52 goals along with his 215 point season.

In Lemieux's case I hate the what ifs. But to be fair. IF he had not been injured as much, his goal totals would be more extreme and he would be considered as better than Ovechkin. Up until his first retirement his goals total pretty much trailed his games by around a hundred. After a three year hiatus he scored 35 goals in 43 games in the dead puck era. So I'm willing to call Lemieux a better goalscorer.

Edit: I mean if you needed a goal would you prefer a prime Ovechkin or a prime Lemieux? Mario just had so many more ways in which he could score a goal.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
It’s not 50/50 more like 8/92 but still he doesn’t need 894. In my opinion for him to be guaranteed goat goal scorer he needs 802 and 8 rockets. I don’t see how an arguement could be made against him in that scenario

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
In Lemieux's case I hate the what ifs. But to be fair. IF he had not been injured as much, his goal totals would be more extreme and he would be considered as better than Ovechkin.

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
It’s not 50/50 more like 8/92 but still he doesn’t need 894. In my opinion for him to be guaranteed goat goal scorer he needs 802 and 8 rockets. I don’t see how an arguement could be made against him in that scenario
you will still have some with the notion of "if you're the supposed greatest at something, you need be at the top of that something", meaning needs to be at the top of the goal-scoring list

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
you will still have some with the notion of "if you're the supposed greatest at something, you need be at the top of that something", meaning needs to be at the top of the goal-scoring list

Yah foresure but I’m confident that the majority of people understand different eras enough that it would be a very small minority that thinks he needs 895

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd agree that he already is

but I think it's by a fairly narrow margin at the moment,an 8th will make that narrow margin into a clear one

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No. He's close. He needs to beat Gretzky to be considered the best. "Goal scoring" and being a "sniper" are two different things. Ovechkin is a sniper in the mold of Bossy, Hull, etc. Gretzky wasn't a pure shooter like those guys but he scored tons of goals in other ways - using anticipation, backhand, dekes, banks, trickery, etc.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
No. He's close. He needs to beat Gretzky to be considered the best. "Goal scoring" and being a "sniper" are two different things. Ovechkin is a sniper in the mold of Bossy, Hull, etc. Gretzky wasn't a pure shooter like those guys but he scored tons of goals in other ways - using anticipation, backhand, dekes, banks, trickery, etc.
you mean by shooting it thru the legs of a goalie standing straight up wearing newspapers? Want Ovi to get to Gretzkys record but he doesn't have to. Also 535 assists good for 152nd all time Assists per game. Not bad for a non-center turret.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
When and if he passes Gretzky then I think he totally has a case. I think Ovi could play past the age of 40 though, 50 is debatable.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Probably is, although it's hard for me to compare to players before my time.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He might be, but I don't think him accumulating Rockets really changes his case against a guy like Lemieux, since Ovechkin is already a much more healthy player.

Mario Lemieux is the greatest goalscorer of all-time for me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad