If Orr started playing in todays NHL

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
You have to understand though that some of the things you mentioned aren't really that relevant in the overall argument.

Just because all those pages were wasted debating whether Orr was THE best defensive d-man or just one of the best of his era does not mean it's all that important of a point.
Kinda like arguing over which was more important, the 7th goal or the 8th goal in a 8-0 victory.
Same with the "watered down" league argument, all that argument does is reduce player points across the board, doesn't diminish anyone's dominance over his peers.

In fact, the only argument that I believe has any weight to it against Orr in this whole thread was about how Orr wouldn't have as much of a speed advantage today.
I still believe he would be among the fastest in league today quite easily, there just wouldn't be as many players that he could leave in the dust.

As far as opinion vs fact goes...the facts are on the side of the "older" crowd and the endless list of players with 15-20+ years played.
The "newer" crowd has nothing but opinion. I mean there are some decent theories but that's all they are just like Adjusted Stats, nice theory but they actually aren't real.

A guy like me, who's watched and studied the game for so damned long having watched star player after star player stay ahead of and continue to adjust to the game year after year, it just baffles me to hear some of the crap around here.
At some point people have to realise this game is more about talent and hockey IQ than about how big or how fast you are.
Especially after watching the Habs game tonight seeing a freakin 43 year old Recchi out there when according to most theories here, the guy shouldn't even be able to lace his own skates up let alone keep up to these "new" players heh.

The level of talent and the actual "gameplay" in any league is important when looking at how a guy dominates his peers.

Yes Orr dominated his peers but it was also easier to do so because the talent and the way the game was played was so much different in 1972 than in 2010.

Orr quite simply would not be allowed to play the same way in 2010 than he did in 1972. No player would, all teams except their players to play within their systems and dedicate at least part of their game to defense.

Nice Recchi straw man though.

His story is a good one though and playing well timed 15-16 minutes in a game with the right teammates still is possible for the right type of forwards like Modano and Selanne as well.

Obviously changes in training and diet help a long way in this regard.

Here is a list of how the oldest players are doing in todays NHL.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2011_skaters.html

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I just don't see how people don't understand how it's harder to stand out today. No one has said anything like Orr, Lemieux and Gretzky weren't natural freaks, they were and their true greatness is understood. What Stray Wasp is saying is the same with hockey, if everyones robotic, more well coached, plays more of a team game, in a salary cap era, with 30 teams in a league with deeper talent than we've ever seen, then how wouldn't it be harder to stand out?

The answer to this is simple: There is no one today as great as Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux. If there were, they would stand out. You seem to think that just because no one stands out today like Orr, that it is impossible to do so, instead of recognizing that maybe players like Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux may come around every 25-50-100 years.

But I will say this, Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are proof that it is possible to stand out. Over the last handful of seasons, these guys have both stood out compared to their peers. It's just that neither of them are as gifted as Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux... they are more along the lines of other greats, such as Jagr, Yzerman, Lafleur and Forsberg.

If someone as great (and dominant) as Orr comes around soon I would be very shocked. And it's not just because the talent level is so high and competitive right now, it's because the theory of hockey is too robotic and systematic, even down to the Atom and Pee Wee level.

Even the best player in the world right now (Sidney Crosby) lacks the creativity, finesse, artistry and hockey sense of Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux. In fact, it's not even close. Crosby is very talented and is special because his dedication and work ethic matches his talent. But he is nowhere near as blessed as any memeber of the trinity.

The way I see it, a player would have to come around nowadays that has the raw skills of Alex Kovalev with Crosby's dedication & hockey mind, and Alex Ovechkin's flair in order to be considered maybe as dominant of the trinity. Is it possible? Yes. It's not like a human being couldn't be born great and grow into the other intangibles, but I just find it unlikely because of the state of today's game. And at the end of the day, that doesn't make the game (or player's) today better... it just makes them all good clones.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yes Orr dominated his peers but it was also easier to do so because the talent and the way the game was played was so much different in 1972 than in 2010.

So then why didn't anyone else dominate like Orr if it were so easy?

Let me tell you something, Bobby Clarke took a Reggie Leach slapper off the head and didn't miss time with blood dripping down his face. And Reggie had one of the hardest slappers in the game, hence the nickname "Rifle".

That tells you just how hard those guys played back in the day. Dominating in an era where players battled hard for 60 minutes was no easy feat. They may have not been as big, fast or systematic, but those guys as a whole had more heart, courage and competitiveness than the players today. I will NEVER be convinced otherwise.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
The answer to this is simple: There is no one today as great as Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux. If there were, they would stand out. You seem to think that just because no one stands out today like Orr, that it is impossible to do so, instead of recognizing that maybe players like Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux may come around every 25-50-100 years.

But I will say this, Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are proof that it is possible to stand out. Over the last handful of seasons, these guys have both stood out compared to their peers. It's just that neither of them are as gifted as Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux... they are more along the lines of other greats, such as Jagr, Yzerman, Lafleur and Forsberg.

If someone as great (and dominant) as Orr comes around soon I would be very shocked. And it's not just because the talent level is so high and competitive right now, it's because the theory of hockey is too robotic and systematic, even down to the Atom and Pee Wee level.

Even the best player in the world right now (Sidney Crosby) lacks the creativity, finesse, artistry and hockey sense of Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux. In fact, it's not even close. Crosby is very talented and is special because his dedication and work ethic matches his talent. But he is nowhere near as blessed as any memeber of the trinity.

The way I see it, a player would have to come around nowadays that has the raw skills of Alex Kovalev with Crosby's dedication & hockey mind, and Alex Ovechkin's flair in order to be considered maybe as dominant of the trinity. Is it possible? Yes. It's not like a human being couldn't be born great and grow into the other intangibles, but I just find it unlikely because of the state of today's game. And at the end of the day, that doesn't make the game (or player's) today better... it just makes them all good clones.

Bolded part started out with promise, especially on Crosby as his game is far more complete than AO's then it fell back into the usual standard argument (how guys fared statswise is the implied thing here and their lack of dominance stat wise over their peers).

Of the 4 guys listed only Forsberg had anything close to Crosby's 1st 5 years overall and we can only hope that a healthy Crosby comes back to full form.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Bolded part started out with promise, especially on Crosby as his game is far more complete than AO's then it fell back into the usual standard argument (how guys fared statswise is the implied thing here and their lack of dominance stat wise over their peers).

Of the 4 guys listed only Forsberg had anything close to Crosby's 1st 5 years overall and we can only hope that a healthy Crosby comes back to full form.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Yes, Crosby's game is more complete than Ovechkin's, but that doesn't make him as talented or great as the trinity, far from it. I evaluate Crosby as a player with a similar skill set to Yzerman (who was very gifted), with the compact strength like Forsberg (not real big and strong, but very hard to knock off his skates and take the puck from). In other words, I am saying Crosby is one hell of a player. But he is just not as great or dominant as the Big Three all-time. Orr was just a prodigy. Personally, there may never be anyone like him again and that's alright. It seems like you're upset with that and want to disrespect what he accomplished for some reason and I don't quite get it.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
So then why didn't anyone else dominate like Orr if it were so easy?

Let me tell you something, Bobby Clarke took a Reggie Leach slapper off the head and didn't miss time with blood dripping down his face. And Reggie had one of the hardest slappers in the game, hence the nickname "Rifle".

That tells you just how hard those guys played back in the day. Dominating in an era where players battled hard for 60 minutes was no easy feat. They may have not been as big, fast or systematic, but those guys as a whole had more heart, courage and competitiveness than the players today. ] I will NEVER be convinced otherwise.

I guess the bolded part is stating the obvious.

And how exactly do you measure a guys courage, heart or competitiveness level across time?

One thing I will say is that the most competitive guys of any era probably stack up with the competitive level of any other era but my mind is open to reasonable arguments on the matter.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Yes, Crosby's game is more complete than Ovechkin's, but that doesn't make him as talented or great as the trinity, far from it. I evaluate Crosby as a player with a similar skill set to Yzerman (who was very gifted), with the compact strength like Forsberg (not real big and strong, but very hard to knock off his skates and take the puck from). In other words, I am saying Crosby is one hell of a player. But he is just not as great or dominant as the Big Three all-time. Orr was just a prodigy. Personally, there may never be anyone like him again and that's alright. It seems like you're upset with that and want to disrespect what he accomplished for some reason and I don't quite get it.

I'm thinking maybe that you and some others are not fully understanding what I've been trying to say here.

Bobby, Wayne and Mario were all the best players in the world during their careers but to not acknowledge as part of their dominance over their peers the fact that the level of play, player and defensive level was lower, that it is easier to dominate in a "overall weaker" league than in a more competitive league.

The failure to do so is to diminish the players of today.

Also to your 1st point look closely to what the trinity and other 4 guys listed all did in their 1st 5 years and then put Crosby in there and see where he places in those 5 years.

Look at regular season, playoffs and each players role on their team.

There is an extremely strong argument for a top 2 or 3 placement there.

Even if you knock him out of the top 3 he is way closer to the trinity as you call them than the other 4 guys mentioned although Forsberg was close to Crosby in his 1st 5 years.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Nice Recchi straw man though.

Dude...seriously, enough with this constant straw man crap already.

I simply mentioned that when I saw Recchi play last night, hustling, keeping up and still being a factor at 43 years old, it made me think of this newer is better crap and made me chuckle.

There's no straw man here, just Recchi blowing kisses in all your faces and flushing your theories down the crapper ;)

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Dude...seriously, enough with this constant straw man crap already.

I simply mentioned that when I saw Recchi play last night, hustling, keeping up and still being a factor at 43 years old, it made me think of this newer is better crap and made me chuckle.

There's no straw man here, just Recchi blowing kisses in all your faces and flushing your theories down the crapper ;)

Ya I guess the only reason guys like Rechhi can keep up today is because the league is so bad, nothing to do with training habits at all eh?:amazed:

Actually not sure of what I see is a theory rather than observation of the most simple kind although it is entirely random when and where great players show up.

I guess I'll just come out straight and ask you does the level and quality of play, player and coaching have anything to do with levels of dominance or is the level of dominance (or lack of it) simply due to talent?

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Ya I guess the only reason guys like Rechhi can keep up today is because the league is so bad, nothing to do with training habits at all eh?:amazed:

Actually not sure of what I see is a theory rather than observation of the most simple kind although it is entirely random when and where great players show up.

I guess I'll just come out straight and ask you does the level and quality of play, player and coaching have anything to do with levels of dominance or is the level of dominance (or lack of it) simply due to talent?

So what you're saying is that improved training and coaching is what makes players better today and that better training and coaching should make any player better?

Wouldn't that mean that players as blessed in raw talent and instincts like Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr would be EVEN better today than they were?

Seriously, which theory are you on now?

(I'll be honest though, I saw your argument heading to this pages ago and have been waiting for it ;) )

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll get to the outscoring green by 15% part 1st. His 88 PPG pace is 8 points better than any season in the 21st Century. He played in the perfect situation, as he was allowed to join in the attacking style that Washington played that year.

How far ahead was Orr in terms of ppg compared to everyone else in the 70 or so prior years of the 20th century when he started putting up 100 plus point seaons? Well ahead of where Green's ppg compares to other defencemen over the last decade. I would also have to assume that any coach with Orr on his team would change his gameplan to suit the strengths of his best player, so style of play would likely not be a huge concern.

When Orr played he was allowed, and able to because of the talent level (or lack or it), to play as a modern day rover.

Orr was no rover. Orr was a defenceman who happened to be far better than everyone else. It's hard to imagine a rover as among the best defensive players in the world. Orr did not put up massive points by neglecting his defensive responsibilities in the way a rover would. Not even close.

If he was allowed to attack any time he wanted and actually played an offensive game 1st and foremost with little to no attention to to detail he might in a perfect storm season crack 100 points , but he wouldn't even do it all the time in a perfect situation in the 2010 NHL.

So basically you are saying that in a perfect storm Orr just might be able to outscore Mike Green by 15%, but not most years, even if he is allowed to attack any time he wanted, which is a luxury he did not enjoy with Boston even. If you honestly believe that then there is no point continuing, because basic reasoning is not going to work here.

Checking is too good, goalies equipment and technically are too hard to beat (compared to the toothpicks in net during Orr's day and how they played stand up), teams play more systems and almost all players block shots now as well.

So because of the way the game has changed basically all the players of Orr's era would struggle to score. That is interesting, because I provided the example of Ray Bourque, who came into the NHL just five years after Orr, who was clearly not all that close to Orr, and who still managed to be a great player in 2001. That would seem to contradict what you're implying, unless of course the game changed greatly from 1975-1980 or from 2001-2011, much more than it did from 1980-2001. Of course those changes would have to be so great that Orr goes from by far the greatest defenceman ever to just an elite defenceman.

I honestly don't think that most coaches would allow Orr to play the same way that he did in his time and that would severely cut his scoring opportunities that succeeded to the level that 80-95 points might be possible in the right situations.

I agree that Orr would not play the same way. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. To suggest however that Mike Green level scoring "might be possible in the right situations" is honestly just too absurd to take seriously. That would basically imply that Mike Green is Orr's equal offensively, and thus quite a bit better than peak Potvin offensively. If he is that much better than peak Potvin offensively then he would be well ahead of guys like Bourque who closely followed Potvin and were at best his equal offensively. Most would agree that Bourque was somewhat better than Lidstrom offensively, so I suppose that Green must be absolutely blowing Lidstrom away offensively since he is a few years past his peak. That does not seem to be the case, does it. Perhaps there is a flaw in your reasoning.

On to Lemieux, I'm not sure on how many seasons he was the best player in the NHL but scoring the most points and being the best player don't always equate to the same thing IMO.

Obviously they don't. Lemieux wasn't just winning scoring titles by a few points though. When healthy, Lemieux was dominating scoring races unlike anyone other than Gretzky or Howe. He would do that even when he was not healthy. His offensive domination was so thorough that Lemieux did not need to play defence at all in order to be extremely effective, as he controlled the puck for large amounts of time and even when on defence the other team would be worried about keeping him in check at all times. That being said, Lemieux did contribute defensively anyway.

The previous 2 Hart winners beofre Mario's last one in 96, Lindros with 115 points in 73 games and Federov with 107 points in 78 games were all round excellent players who brought a lot more to their game than Mario's secondary impact beyond his points.

The gap between Lemieux's offence and the offence provided by Lindros and Fedorov more than makes up for whatever they bring additionally that is above what Lemieux brings, and quite easily. If Lemieux was healthy in either of those seasons he would have been the MVP easily. This is incredibly obvious.

Put another way, if GMs and coaches were asked to build a team around a player in 96 (for one season so age wouldn't matter), I think Lindros, Federov, Forsberg and the Moose might have been in the mix with Mario as well.

This is insane. Not one person would pick any of those guys for one season over Lemieux. Lemieux was a clear, obvious step up from all of those guys. Eeither you are joking and I'm missing it or you just did not exist/pay attention during Lemieux's career.

Mario was the most offensively gifted player that I have ever seen but he doesn't have the label of a winner like Wayne, and quite a few others deservedly have.

Whether or not he has that label hardly matters (although his two Conn Smythe trophies are more than all the guys you mentioned combined). Everyone knew at the time that Lemieux was the best player in the world easily.

I'm sure Orr would have outscored Potvin, I only point this out because if anyone other than Brad Park had come close to Orr it might bring him back to earth a bit, well not for everyone I know, and also I think Potvin gets under appreciated by a lot of people on these boards as well.

It hardly matters that Orr was dominating the defencemen offensively so much. What is truly impressive was that he was dominating the best forwards offensively.

My comment on the 72 series was more of a statement of the game in the NHL at that time ( I know they didn't have Hull or Orr) but frankly the fact that the Russians came so far in such a small amount of time was amazing and I think part of it was that maybe the NHL wasn't as kick ass as everyone makes them out to be at that point.

If the NHL players were not all that great at the time(which I'm taking as the implication of your statement), then there were basically no great players in the world at the time. If that is the case discussing this is just pointless.

Dalton

Aug 26, 2009
Ho Chi Minh City
I'm thinking maybe that you and some others are not fully understanding what I've been trying to say here.

Bobby, Wayne and Mario were all the best players in the world during their careers but to not acknowledge as part of their dominance over their peers the fact that the level of play, player and defensive level was lower, that it is easier to dominate in a "overall weaker" league than in a more competitive league.

The failure to do so is to diminish the players of today.

Also to your 1st point look closely to what the trinity and other 4 guys listed all did in their 1st 5 years and then put Crosby in there and see where he places in those 5 years.

Look at regular season, playoffs and each players role on their team.

There is an extremely strong argument for a top 2 or 3 placement there.

Even if you knock him out of the top 3 he is way closer to the trinity as you call them than the other 4 guys mentioned although Forsberg was close to Crosby in his 1st 5 years.

I would say that all things being equal for all players at any given time, certain players stood out. Some remarkably. This is talent. Those talented players would stand out at any time. They would still dominate.

If one wishes to argue that they didn't have the talent in the first place then you must diminish their statistical dominance and observers opinions. Does the 'competition was weaker' argument accomplish that?

If you're arguing that the talent level of the average player increases over time, that there is a gradual mutation of human DNA with respect to hockey skills over time well that is absurd. Last I heard human beings haven't evolved physically or mentally for the last 40,000 years. Even if this mutation theory were true Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux if born today would also benefit. They would still dominate.

Player selection, training etc have evolved as this is just human activity being perfected over time. We learn from our mistakes generally. But this only implies that scouts would be better able to spot talent and organizations better able to nurture it. But guys like Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux would also benefit. They would still dominate.

The only way to argue that Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux would be less dominant today is to assume a genetic flaw or a systemic bias towards them.

However if you're arguing that the talent level overall was lower in certain time periods precisely corresponding to the length of the careers of Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux, well that's not quantifiable. You can't measure that. Using the careers of those players to support that notion is a classic example of circular reasoning.*

The only way to argue that Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux would be less dominant today with this argument is to assume a conspiracy or lack of judgement from observers. But this cannot be proved. So finally one must simply disregard all observers completely which is absurd.

*Circular reasoning is a formal logical fallacy in which the proposition to be proved is assumed implicitly or explicitly in one of the premises. For example:

"I don't believe these stats, the competition must have been very weak. These unbelievable stats are proof of this."

Such an argument is fallacious, because it relies upon its own proposition — "the stats are unbelievable" — in order to support its central premise. Essentially, the argument assumes that its central point is already proven, and uses this in support of itself.

Infinite Vision*

Someone answer me this then, because most of you still seem to be missing the obvious point. If the league now became a 6 team league, tell me what you think it would look like, and if you think Crosby and Ovechkin would be able to stand out as much statistically. Just want to see if some of you are even getting the point.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I would say that all things being equal for all players at any given time, certain players stood out. Some remarkably. This is talent. Those talented players would stand out at any time. They would still dominate.

If one wishes to argue that they didn't have the talent in the first place then you must diminish their statistical dominance and observers opinions. Does the 'competition was weaker' argument accomplish that?

If you're arguing that the talent level of the average player increases over time, that there is a gradual mutation of human DNA with respect to hockey skills over time well that is absurd. Last I heard human beings haven't evolved physically or mentally for the last 40,000 years. Even if this mutation theory were true Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux if born today would also benefit. They would still dominate.

Player selection, training etc have evolved as this is just human activity being perfected over time. We learn from our mistakes generally. But this only implies that scouts would be better able to spot talent and organizations better able to nurture it. But guys like Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux would also benefit. They would still dominate.

The only way to argue that Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux would be less dominant today is to assume a genetic flaw or a systemic bias towards them.

However if you're arguing that the talent level overall was lower in certain time periods precisely corresponding to the length of the careers of Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux, well that's not quantifiable. You can't measure that. Using the careers of those players to support that notion is a classic example of circular reasoning.*

The only way to argue that Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux would be less dominant today with this argument is to assume a conspiracy or lack of judgement from observers. But this cannot be proved. So finally one must simply disregard all observers completely which is absurd.

*Circular reasoning is a formal logical fallacy in which the proposition to be proved is assumed implicitly or explicitly in one of the premises. For example:

"I don't believe these stats, the competition must have been very weak. These unbelievable stats are proof of this."

Such an argument is fallacious, because it relies upon its own proposition — "the stats are unbelievable" — in order to support its central premise. Essentially, the argument assumes that its central point is already proven, and uses this in support of itself.

Yes I know what circular reasoning is as we see it on this board on a daily basis.

The talent level comes into play on the defensive side of things even more so than the offensive side.

Defensive systems that all coaches employ are more effective when all the players involved are better skaters as a whole than the teams in Bobby's, Wayne's and Mario's days.

Goaltenders are much better equipped, literally, and train better to stop goals than as late as the 80's, just look at the size of their equipment compared to Ken Dryden I and some of the other goalies in the Bobby Orr videos on this thread and tell me which era is easier to score in.

It's not just a genetic thing, although players are bigger, stronger and faster than as little as 20 years ago and this also helps on the defensive end in making it more possible for teams to stop other players from scoring.

the talent level in past days may not be quantifiable in any sense of an exact formula but anyone with a set of eyes and any tapes or video from Orr, Gretzky and Mario's playing days can clearly see that the level of play is on average more competitive and more difficult for players to score in. there might be some minor peaks and valleys but this has been a constant trend since the late 80's.

The influx of talented players from Europe also contributed to this.

The opinion that past stars would not be as likely to dominate under 2010 conditions does nothing to diminish their past greatness and I really wonder were some guys are coming from in this thread.

Go watch some hockey games and then watch some tapes form the 70's and 80's and see if there is any difference and how that might affect scoring.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Someone answer me this then, because most of you still seem to be missing the obvious point. If the league now became a 6 team league, tell me what you think it would look like, and if you think Crosby and Ovechkin would be able to stand out as much statistically. Just want to see if some of you are even getting the point.

Does Gary Bettman stay commissioner? If so, I'm wondering which three O6 franchises would get the boot to keep teams in California, the south and of course Phoenix.

In this scenario Crosby benefits from top-notch wingers to help counter stronger checking lines and defences. Presumably there'd be fewer jobs for shutdown defensemen who couldn't pass the puck well or PMDs who aren't up to scratch in their own end. Theoretically, no team in the league should have trouble making the transition from defence to attack. Whatever happened, the "stats repressed/inflated by teammates" argument would carry less currency.

If a team got a dominant lead in the game, would players be more likely to seek goals to pad their stats? After all, lots of capable players would be in the AHL waiting to take their jobs at the first sign of a slump. Any star who showed complacency would be out the door soon enough too. Maybe some more mentally fragile players wouldn't be able to handle the extra pressures of increased competition too. No star could hide in a low-profile market either.

Last edited:

Infinite Vision*

Does Gary Bettman stay commissioner? If so, I'm wondering which three O6 franchises would get the boot to keep teams in California, the south and of course Phoenix.

In this scenario Crosby benefits from top-notch wingers to help counter stronger checking lines and defences. Presumably there'd be fewer jobs for shutdown defensemen who couldn't pass the puck well or PMDs who aren't up to scratch in their own end. Theoretically, no team in the league should have trouble making the transition from defence to attack. Whatever happened, the "stats repressed/inflated by teammates" argument would carry less currency.

If a team got a dominant lead in the game, would players be more likely to seek goals to pad their stats? After all, lots of capable players would be in the AHL waiting to take their jobs at the first sign of a slump. Any star who showed complacency would be out the door soon enough too. Maybe some more mentally fragile players wouldn't be able to handle the extra pressures of increased competition too. No star could hide in a low-profile market either.

Thanks for responding, although I don't quite agree with the response. What I think inevitably would happen, and not that Crosby or Ovechkin would be any worse players than they are in the actual sense, is that they would standout less statistically than they do. The answer is because they are playing better people on average, same reason why like seventieslord has already said in this thread that players in Junior A level standout more, and the scoring is higher. Crosby dominated his peers his whole life, and looking at everything in the proper context, he's dominated his peers since he's stepped into this league, just not by nearly as much, because the league is really deep with talent at all positions.

Look at the top 30 scorers here. The only distinct seperation I see is Crosby. Anyone else who has any amount of lead over the next guy, also happens to play with an equally talented elite offensive player (also shows that yeah the offensive numbers you produce are helped by who you play with). The degress of seperation are getting smaller, the main point I hope some can take in, and that would apply to Orr, Lemieux, and Gretzky himself.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?component=completePointLeadersList&page=statshome&service=direct

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Crosby/Ovechkin would stand out less in terms of the difference between their points and each other player's points. I don't think the ratio between their points and those of the other players would change that much though. Overall they would appear less dominant. Crosby might be hurt a little less than Ovechkin in this regard because his linemates would improve moreso than Ovechkin's would compared to who they currently play with, but that isn't really the point.

Something interesting in this theoretical situation is that because the talent pool is now so large there would be some players who could be ignificant factors in the scoring race who would not even make the league, or at least be able to play significant roles. For example it is unlikely that at the start of last season a team would have put the Sedins on their top line if they had the choice of one in every six nhl players. In this way Crosby/Ovechkin would benefit, since they clearly would make anyone's top line. That being said, they would still score less clearly and appear less dominant in the absolute sense.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

Not sure what kind of point you're looking for here, we already see this situation albeit on a smaller scale through the Olympics and the Canada/World Cup's over the years.
It is what you're looking for though, the world's best on 6-8 teams and going back we see that players like Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr had little trouble standing out.

Also, would this 6 team league only play 70 games a season too like back in the day.

Infinite Vision*

Not sure what kind of point you're looking for here, we already see this situation albeit on a smaller scale through the Olympics and the Canada/World Cup's over the years.
It is what you're looking for though, the world's best on 6-8 teams and going back we see that players like Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr had little trouble standing out.

Also, would this 6 team league only play 70 games a season too like back in the day.

In world tournaments a lot of the talent is highly spread throughout the elite countries, so that's not a good indication at all. Plus the sample size isn't big enough, but using your logic though in the 87 Canada Cup tournament Gretzky had 21 points, Lemieux had 18, Makarov 17 and Krutov 16 I believe it was? Likely Gretzky seperates himself from them even more over a full season, just like he did to Lemieux that year on a per game basis, although the two of them certainly appeared to be clearly better than anyone in the league besides Gretzky and Lemieux IMO from the games I've seen. This has almost nothing to do with my overall point though.

If you look at scoring from top to bottom this year and last, then do the same in any year in the 70's/80's, you'll notice that there's on average bigger degrees of seperation between players statistically even excluding outliers and their linemates.

In a league with less parity, less of a talent pool to draw from, less teams assuming the talent pool is equal or worse, and less emphasis on defense in the overall game, it becomes easier to standout statistically, percentage wise over your peers.

Also for those who still don't quite believe that the more talent there is facing each other the lower the scoring will be, look no further than the playoffs.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I'm a bit disappointed this turned from comparing ONLY the Defensive Aspect their Game into just another generic overall best + era slamfest. :(

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
In world tournaments a lot of the talent is highly spread throughout the elite countries, so that's not a good indication at all. Plus the sample size isn't big enough, but using your logic though in the 87 Canada Cup tournament Gretzky had 21 points, Lemieux had 18, Makarov 17 and Krutov 16 I believe it was? Likely Gretzky seperates himself from them even more over a full season, just like he did to Lemieux that year on a per game basis, although the two of them certainly appeared to be clearly better than anyone in the league besides Gretzky and Lemieux IMO from the games I've seen. This has almost nothing to do with my overall point though.

If you look at scoring from top to bottom this year and last, then do the same in any year in the 70's/80's, you'll notice that there's on average bigger degrees of seperation between players statistically even excluding outliers and their linemates.

In a league with less parity, less of a talent pool to draw from, less teams assuming the talent pool is equal or worse, and less emphasis on defense in the overall game, it becomes easier to standout statistically, percentage wise over your peers.

Also for those who still don't quite believe that the more talent there is facing each other the lower the scoring will be, look no further than the playoffs.

You're confusing raw point totals with percentages there my friend.
Gretzky getting 200 points with the next best at 150 is the same percentage as him getting 160 and the next getting 120.

All that you're trying to say is that more parity would reduce raw point totals, it would not change level of dominance especially on a percentile basis.

...and you can't use the playoff's as an indicator as there are so many other factors involved like playing the exact same team over and over to ramped up effort levels to ref's putting whistles away more often.

Last edited:

Infinite Vision*

You're confusing raw point totals with percentages there my friend.
Gretzky getting 200 points with the next best at 150 is the same percentage as him getting 160 and the next getting 120.

All that you're trying to say is that more parity would reduce raw point totals, it would not change level of dominance especially on a percentile basis.

...and you can't use the playoff's as an indicator as there are so many other factors involved like playing the exact same team over and over to ramped up effort levels to ref's putting whistles away more often.

No, you're still missing the point. I'm not talking about raw point totals at all, I'm talking about the percentage players are able to standout over others statistically. Continue arguing things I haven't even stated and brush off countless evidence that contradicts your opinion. Everything I've stated would decrease their overall level of dominance, which means less than 160 is likely what he'd get. 150 tops depending on the year or situation. The whole point is if someone like Crosby can score around 140 consistently combined with his overall game, he's dominating to the same degree if not more so than Gretzky, considering players like Ovechkin, the Sedins and Stamkos are the only ones I'd consider a lock for 100, and one of those isn't even on pace for that this year. He's arguably a generational talent himself.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
So what you're saying is that improved training and coaching is what makes players better today and that better training and coaching should make any player better?

Wouldn't that mean that players as blessed in raw talent and instincts like Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr would be EVEN better today than they were?

Seriously, which theory are you on now?

(I'll be honest though, I saw your argument heading to this pages ago and have been waiting for it ;) )

Once again you are missing the overall point here in that the increased talent level, and all the other factors involved, makes it harder for players to score period today than in other past eras.

It doesn't matter if player X(from top to bottom in the league) from today can score or not, the point is that every player X is better equipped in stopping other players from scoring.

Whether the play is better or it is better hockey is completely subjective and a matter of taste to some degree.

And your last part in brackets is priceless, I'm not stuck in a box and don't have the inability to change my mind, don't presume that everyone on here is as inflexible and rigid in their opinions as you seem to be.

Just an idea.

I think it's entirely possible that Bobby, Wayne and Mariocould dominate today as in their era, but it's highly unlikely and I wouldn't bet anything on it.

Rather I would bet money and think it is more likely that they would fall to the pack and maybe even only be among the league leaders from year to year because we have no idea on how each player would react and be used in today's game.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I'm a bit disappointed this turned from comparing ONLY the Defensive Aspect their Game into just another generic overall best + era slamfest. :(

this is the OP

"If Orr started playing in todays NHL
What would Bobby Orr's stats look like?

Would he be the best defenseman ever? or the greatest defenceman ever?"

Pretty hard to talk about any player without talking about era and conditions unless one thinks they always stay the same or matter very little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad