If or when the EPL cancels their season will teams end up in the court?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was on a ZOOM chat with fans of different football clubs last night and it turned nasty.

What started the problem was someone suggesting Liverpool gets the trophy but that did not cause the biggest argument.

It was relegation and a good case was put forward that is not as clean cut as some want to think.

One team in the relegation zone has a clear bases for disputing getting relegated. Aston Villa

The problem while they are in the relegation zone, they have one game in hand on teams directly above and they make the case that if they win that extra game in regulation that moves them up and moves Watford down--so Watford fans than chimed in and where not happy

but the fun part of he argument (Which it was by this time) is when the fans of the teams in the top league suggested that all teams stay in the same league and we play a full season next year

Both Leeds and West Brom have put great effort into getting promoted for next season and staying in the lower league could have dire circumstances as they made transactions based upon getting promoted and believe they could be unfairly punished for what has happened

The Papers here in the UK are saying if Leeds and west Brom are kept down it could cost them around 100 mill£ and there is no doubt that Villa, Bournemouth and Norwich will fight tooth and nail to stay up

and on top of that, reports today suggest the EPL could be out up 1B£ if they cancel the season

will be interesting to see what they decide

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think West Brom and Leeds should come up and then the Prem has 22 teams next year. 5 go down or something like that.

I don't know how that would effect finances but I have seen it thrown around as an idea for some other leagues.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think West Brom and Leeds should come up and then the Prem has 22 teams next year. 5 go down or something like that.

I don't know how that would effect finances but I have seen it thrown around as an idea for some other leagues.
You can't promote Leeds and West Brom automatically when they haven't mathematically clinched promotion spots. This is nonsense.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I think they have to finish the season and then try and work around the up coming Euros & World Cup.

The Schedule will also be made worse by the fact that the off season will not line-up with the Euros or World Cup in the normal way either. So if you need to add say 2 months for the players between seasons (4 weeks holiday, 4 weeks pre-season) and that just makes the crunch worse.

If they can get this year finished by say end of September and can squeeze the football year from 10 months to 9 months there is a way to get 2 seasons in before the 2022 World Cup........ Only issue is it leaves you in January 2023 with all the leagues finished.

(This is assuming teams are able to get back to training in July & we are only looking at finishing League campaigns only and cancelling Cups)

Aug 20 - Sep 20 - Finish Season

Oct 20 - Nov 20 - Off Season / Pre-Season

Dec 20 to Oct 21 - New Season (2020/21) - (with 2 month gap mid May to mid July for Euros)

Nov 21 - Dec 21 : Off Season / Pre-Season

Jan 22 - Sep 22 : New Season (2021/22)

Oct 22 - Dec 22 : World Cup

Where you go from that point I don't know. It would almost be better if they could move the World Cup around to say Feb & March. That would give you a couple of more months to space out the 2 Seasons prior to that. You could then start the new 2023/24 season a bit earlier (July)....... that option does mean you are losing a full season but I think no matter what they do that's going to happen.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Another thing is the calendar of every team, imagine (haven't checked) that Aston Villa has faced against all top-6 teams and Watford still has to face them... that would be quite unfair too

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not 46. And its entirely possible not everyone played against every other team even once.

Well then what is a better strategy for the league going forward? Also I'm almost positive everyone has played each other one.

The thing is there is essentially no way to end this year 100% fair if it ends without the games begin played. The season has to end in some capacity and they will not be able to wait it out forever. So what is the best strategy you can come up with it?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think they have to finish the season and then try and work around the up coming Euros & World Cup.

The Schedule will also be made worse by the fact that the off season will not line-up with the Euros or World Cup in the normal way either. So if you need to add say 2 months for the players between seasons (4 weeks holiday, 4 weeks pre-season) and that just makes the crunch worse.

If they can get this year finished by say end of September and can squeeze the football year from 10 months to 9 months there is a way to get 2 seasons in before the 2022 World Cup........ Only issue is it leaves you in January 2023 with all the leagues finished.

(This is assuming teams are able to get back to training in July & we are only looking at finishing League campaigns only and cancelling Cups)

Dec 20 to Oct 21 - New Season (2020/21) - (with 2 month gap mid May to mid July for Euros)

Where you go from that point I don't know. It would almost be better if they could move the World Cup around to say Feb & March. That would give you a couple of more months to space out the 2 Seasons prior to that. You could then start the new 2023/24 season a bit earlier (July)....... that option does mean you are losing a full season but I think no matter what they do that's going to happen.

isnt football in the Olympics this year or now next I should say

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Another thing is the calendar of every team, imagine (haven't checked) that Aston Villa has faced against all top-6 teams and Watford still has to face them... that would be quite unfair too

that game in hand is also a killer

a Sunderland fan suggested they may go by pt % then and that knocks Watford down and Aston Villa up

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Agreed.

Given that elements of the print media that traditionally support the government are stealthily ramping up scrutiny and criticisms of the lockdown, I think it likely the league will begin playing even sooner than you've suggested.

Reactions: YNWA14

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Finishing this season IMO is way more important than playing next season. In other words, itd make more sense to start football with the current tables and scenarios regardless of when that is. A football version of the Long Parliament so to speak for the history buffs out there.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

Finally the rest of the world moves to the MLS calendar...

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Finishing this season IMO is way more important than playing next season. In other words, itd make more sense to start football with the current tables and scenarios regardless of when that is. A football version of the Long Parliament so to speak for the history buffs out there.

Can you elaborate on why?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Can you elaborate on why?

Legal certainty. You can't just pretend this season didn't happen. Too deep into it. On the other hand, every method of ending it with current standings would lead to potential claims of malfeasance and ramifications down the pyramid. There'd be bitterness all over the place. Finishing it so everything can be put in the books properly is more important than starting 20/21 in August. Why? You can decide on how to handle 20/21 in advance and if everyone agrees they have nothing to complain about when it does happen that way. It's easier to come up with a new solution for the future than to impose a new solution on something that was begun in the past and has now been altered by circumstances no-one could anticipate at the time. There's a reason we have the legal concept of 'grandfathering' in old contract rules etc. Things being changed after the fact has always been perceived as an injustice.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Legal certainty. You can't just pretend this season didn't happen. Too deep into it. On the other hand, every method of ending it with current standings would lead to potential claims of malfeasance and ramifications down the pyramid. There'd be bitterness all over the place. Finishing it so everything can be put in the books properly is more important than starting 20/21 in August. Why? You can decide on how to handle 20/21 in advance and if everyone agrees they have nothing to complain about when it does happen that way. It's easier to come up with a new solution for the future than to impose a new solution on something that was begun in the past and has now been altered by circumstances no-one could anticipate at the time. There's a reason we have the legal concept of 'grandfathering' in old contract rules etc. Things being changed after the fact has always been perceived as an injustice.

Absolutely - as has been pointed out elsewhere, what to do about the 2019/20 tranche of parachute payments in the event of a season expunged from the records would be an especially vexed question.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad