If Oil make playoffs, is all forgiven?

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Last year honestly was probably the worst of the entire rebuild.

At least some of the other years had games where we would beat Chicago like 8-2 or something or Gagner's 8 point game or RNH scoring a hat-trick in his 6th game or Eberle scoring a highlight reel goal on opening night or being in the 8th seed spot for like 24 hours (lol), etc. etc. etc.

Last year ... I can't really recall anything like that.

It was just like wall to wall crap with quite possibly the worst defensive structure I've ever seen any Oilers team play.

EDIT: I guess there was the Scrivens night where he stopped 329 shots vs. San Jose that was amazing, though even that is kind of embarrassing from the POV that we allowed that many shots against.

To me, the Ryan Smyth's last game was my favourite memory for the 2013-14 season.

Appropriately, that game was an end to the season that brought so much pain, agony and distraught.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well, I'm the wrong person to ask since I'm generally sympathetic to the team's problems. Everyone talks about a year timeline but it was only Sutter for Calgary who told the media that he planned on bringing the Flames to contender status within 5 years.

I supported the scorched earth rebuild, but I am not delusional about it. It comes with no guarantees and you can't expect linear progress either, much less a timeline. I completely agree that last year was the worst year of the rebuild though, but I even accept that one because we got our future 2C out of it.

This season there is a tipping point. Draft picks won't help this team at all. Now that we have Draisaitl, the only way to evolve the team is to help the development of the players we have, and that means we need to start winning games and exposing our young core to playoff hockey ASAP.

As for the fans down on the team and management, I don't think you need to forgive anyone, and it's entirely possible that we could make the playoffs in spite of the higher ups, not because of them, but as fans I wonder why we should care about anything other than the on-ice product.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
2010: 30th
2011: 30th
2012: 29th
2013: 24th.

STOP!!!

Looking at that, at the time, it seemed like a reasonable progression. It looked like things were on track. It was last year's regression and debacle that made us all lose our minds, patience in the rebuild and faith in the organization.

If the Oilers were to make the playoffs, or come very close (say, they battle right up untill the 81st game), can we chalk up last year as just a bad, bad, year... a perfect storm as the organization called it?

How much of a progression is needed in order to forget what happened in 2013/14?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

30,30,29,24 is reasonable progression. I needed that laugh.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I dont think they make the playoffs till they get in the new building, I think this is the point Katz steps in and makes some changes in the President and GM chair.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If we finish 19th-20 I'll still be openminded towards Mac-T. Still very questionable of Eakins.
If we finish 18th-17th I'll be sold on Mac-T
If we make the playoffs I'll be sold on Eakins.

Regardless of the odds of those things happening there will be no forgiveness until we're 4th or better in the west.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
If we make the playoffs it means we likely knocked out one of Colorado or Minnesota (Maybe SJ). It also means we probably had close to a 100 pts season or 40+ wins.

All will be forgiven.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I think the west is going to be extremely tough, if we can be middle of the pack as far as leagues standings go I will be happy. I don't expect the playoffs, but I really really hope we can be playing meaningful games most of the year.. Not many fans know the pain of their team being out by November every year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If we make the playoffs it means we likely knocked out one of Colorado or Minnesota (Maybe SJ). It also means we probably had close to a 100 pts season or 40+ wins.

All will be forgiven.

Um, unless we make it to the conference final we aren't facing either one of those teams. Fat chance either one takes the division.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It would take a miracle for this to happen so I don't see it. Like RNH having a 90+ point season combined with Scrivens being in the discussion for the Vezina trophy.

It's kind of sad that year 5 or whatever this is of this rebuild we're still relying on freshly drafted rookies to have to play key roles.

At this point I think people don't really even care about the actual results, they just want a brand of hockey that doesn't make them sick to their stomach.

I havent agreed much with soundwave recently but this statement is truth for me. I watched more flames games last year than oilers games because they were actually entertaining. The oilers were one of THE MOST BORING teams i HAVE EVER WATCHED. For the record...I WATCHED THE NINETYS...just for reference sake...the clutch and grab BS era. Yup...13-14 Oilers were pathetic.

If they play ENTERTAINING HOCKEY WITH EMOTION AND GIVING A **** and are in games...i will follow religiously again and not tune out ten games in. I was surprised i even lasted that long. I never understood how people could watch just highlights until last year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If the Oilers make the playoffs, all is forgiven, matter of fact I would be ecstatic. I blame a lot of our prolonged suffering on Tambellini and I isolate the brunt of my hatred/disdain just for him.
The organization wants you to blame Tambellini too. It continues to keep the focus off the guys that are really responsible. The guys that are still here. Tambellini inherited an organization with no talent and no prospects, what was he supposed to do with it? Who left him with that? It's easy to blame him but he didn't start this mess. Those are the guys that deserve all the blame here.

If this team makes the playoffs it proves these guys knew what they were doing. I still don't think they do so I can't see it happening.

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Ha

No! Not forgiven.

embarrassed maybe

Edit: And judging by an early look at the gagner trade, I'm also thinking unlikely or unsustainable

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
What's there to forgive? The Oilers didn't do anything to the fanbase in 2013/14, they just continued to the team tradition of clinging to incompetent people in a culture of cronyism and rewarding failure, with the usual predictable results.

Forgiving the Oilers for last year would be like forgiving a puppy that hasn't been house broken for peeing on your floor.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Every year, over half the teams in the league make the playoffs. Never forgive, never forget.

rickyrunfar

Mar 1, 2014
If they win a cup in the next few years all is forgiven, the old boys club have been an embarrassment on too many fronts to be so easily forgiven. it's been nearly a decade of epic suck.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
2010: 30th
2011: 30th
2012: 29th
2013: 24th.

STOP!!!

Looking at that, at the time, it seemed like a reasonable progression. It looked like things were on track. It was last year's regression and debacle that made us all lose our minds, patience in the rebuild and faith in the organization.

How much of a progression is needed in order to forget what happened in 2013/14?

Ummm, first of all, I don't think 30th, 30th and 29th was a reasonable progression.
nor do I think things were on track.
therefore I lost faith in the organization well before last season.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Um, unless we make it to the conference final we aren't facing either one of those teams. Fat chance either one takes the division.

Ummmmmmmm, i don't think we are talking about the same things here.

We are talking about the oilers making the playoffs... not the teams they play in the playoffs.

Oilers could only dream of a wildcard spot. IMO the most likely teams to be competing for those wildcard spots are the ones I described in my last post.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The organization wants you to blame Tambellini too. It continues to keep the focus off the guys that are really responsible. The guys that are still here. Tambellini inherited an organization with no talent and no prospects, what was he supposed to do with it? Who left him with that? It's easy to blame him but he didn't start this mess. Those are the guys that deserve all the blame here.

If this team makes the playoffs it proves these guys knew what they were doing. I still don't think they do so I can't see it happening.
Tambo doesn't deserve all the blame but he really didn't do anything to improve the team. And really the only guy who really messed up that's still here is Lowe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad