If Oil make playoffs, is all forgiven?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
100% make the playoffs and no one talks about the last 8 years, we talk about playoff hockey in Rexall and how the oilers are upsetting favorites on their way to the finals. no Marc Andre Bergeron and no ty conklin and we just coast to the cup, all is forgiven.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Guarantee that the Oilers aren't making the playoffs this season.

Drought for playoffs will reach 9 years after this season comes to an end.

Yes, we know. You want the Oilers to tank for McDavid. It's what every single one of your posts revolves around.

Anyway, of course all will be forgiven if they make the playoffs. Why wouldn't it be? The last 8 years will be long forgotten in no time.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Ummm, first of all, I don't think 30th, 30th and 29th was a reasonable progression.
nor do I think things were on track.
therefore I lost faith in the organization well before last season.

Well, ok. Fair enough. I should have added: if they had finished around 19th last year. Then it would have been 30, 30, 29, 24, 19. That's reasonable in my mind. I know I wouldn't have lost it with that, and I did lose it last year.

To see a team actually get worse, and not just a little bit worse, but play disorganized AHL calibre hockey, was nothing short of shocking. They actually would have done better without a coach.

For me to regain the faith, Eakins has to prove that MacT was smart to replace Kruger with him, and the team MUST take a real step to the next level. from a free space for other teams to a team that is in every game and can win any given night.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Tambo doesn't deserve all the blame but he really didn't do anything to improve the team. And really the only guy who really messed up that's still here is Lowe.
Aside from finishing poorly and drafting the highest rated prospect available what else could Tambellini really have done to improve this roster? He had no marketable talent to move. I'm not trying to excuse what happened here on his watch but really, what was he left with when he took over? This team was sewered so badly it was always going to take up to 10 years to build the organization back into a contender. They still appear to be on this timeline, even with Mactavish in charge. Tambellini's dismissal was nothing more than trying to buy more time and goodwill from the fans.

As far as Lowe being the only one left to blame I think that's ridiculous. Mactavish had just as much to do with what happened here after the cup run to the time he left as Lowe did. He said himself that he was heavily involved in every player personnel decision. Those decisions led to what happened here. A last place team spent to the cap. That things appeared to get so much worse after he left makes me wonder if he was the one calling the shots before he left too.

Last edited:

Bangalter

Aug 21, 2013
People who say they give up on this team if we fail this year are going to just come back and watch again when the team makes the playoffs the year after.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
People who say they give up on this team if we fail this year are going to just come back and watch again when the team makes the playoffs the year after.

That's true. But we've gone from diehards that bought x number of tickets a year and merch to causal or bandwagon fans or just less interested fans that don't buy tickets or merch. I haven't spent a cent on the Oilers (unless u include the Oilkings) in two years, and that hasn't happened in probably 20.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Last year was rock bottom.

God I hope it was.

The only thing that could be worse is to be out of it before Halloween.. again.
Then go on some Pejorative Slured win streak with like 10 games left that drops us to 3rd last.

Then top it with a draft lottery loss to a team behind us to knock us to 4th pick. Right where the talent starts to even out for 10 or so picks.

Not gonna mention injuries because they suck and I'd never forgive myself.

*knocks on wood*

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
In the back of my mind, I could never forgive 8 years of incompetence. I especially despise Kevin Lowe for making so many bad decisions.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Since 1990

9 playoff appearances (highest as 6th place and 5 times past the 1st round)

13 times we missed the playoffs

obviously the 80's were epic but holy crap that is dismal

obviously not as bad as no cup since 67' like Toronto, or no cup period like Vancouver.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
No. This is their second rebuild, don't forget. What was That tanking and jettisoning a bunch of veterans for youth in the late 00s all about?

If we win a championship, that will justify it. Or a least a finals appearance. But 8 years of misery? No. Not justifiable, especially considering how they went about it-- horrible trades, incredible incompetence, no semblance of a plan until MacTavish showed up again, holding the fans hostage over an arena deal. All of that so that we can make the playoffs? No freakin' way. Especially because the league isn't like it was 15 years ago where there were clear playoff contenders and clear pretenders. Colorado went from worst in the conference to best in their division and I think they could easily miss the playoffs again this year. Even IF Edmonton makes the show this year, it's not like there is anything which would guarantee them to be back the year after, especially with the dog's breakfast we have for a d-corps against a very tough western conference.

Once we get somewhere close to Stanley, we can revisit this. Now? Forget it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yes, we know. You want the Oilers to tank for McDavid. It's what every single one of your posts revolves around.

Anyway, of course all will be forgiven if they make the playoffs. Why wouldn't it be? The last 8 years will be long forgotten in no time.

I certainly won't go on record for this but Its unlikely the Oilers will be in the McDavid Sweepstakes.

If Eakins can't figure out his job and the Oilers don't replace him quickly if he has not figured it out, then it's possible we finish bottom 5.

Roster wise we should not be bottom 5 in the league again for hopefully many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad