If nothing else, the Hurricanes-Islanders series shows true poetic justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hurricanes have been plagued with bad luck in terms of what they should be accomplishing with their advanced stats. Islanders are the complete opposite, having a run on the back of elite goaltending and unsustainable stats. This series is truly a poetic justice series, and of all teams nothing is more pleasing to see the Islanders being the one losing to the poetic justice team. You can argue last season's San Jose-Anaheim series was also poetic justice, but nowhere near the extent this series has been. If the Islanders lose in a blowout in game 4, this will be the most poetic justice series in at least a decade (And hopefully in league history, although I haven't studied league history far enough to say).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Meh

This series has been incredibly evenly matched for the most part. The Canes seem to have that little bit of extra something - chemistry, leadership, synergy, whatever you want to call it - that gives them an edge. Actually the Isles outplayed the Canes for huge swaths of games 1 and 2. Puck don't lie, but they also don't look like the typical team that goes down 3-0 in a series.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Hurricanes have been plagued with bad luck in terms of what they should be accomplishing with their advanced stats. Islanders are the complete opposite, having a run on the back of elite goaltending and unsustainable stats. This series is truly a poetic justice series, and of all teams nothing is more pleasing to see the Islanders being the one losing to the poetic justice team. You can argue last season's San Jose-Anaheim series was also poetic justice, but nowhere near the extent this series has been. If the Islanders lose in a blowout in game 4, this will be the most poetic justice series in at least a decade (And hopefully in league history, although I haven't studied league history far enough to say).
Poetic justice... is that in the column right next to goals against on the NHL website?

Could you imagine a superstar leaving the pathetic team that drafted him, just to go to another team full of "superstars" and then that superstar all-star team finished lower in the standings than that pathetic team. LOL could you imagine? IF that actually happened the Poetic Justice/60 would be off the charts!
Are you also a fan of irony?

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
Islanders have Eberle. I was told he's a playoff warrior. Comeback imminent.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
Were you mentioning this before the series, or only now that the Canes are up 3-0?

It would've been much better if you made this thread before the series saying "the stats for the Isles show it's unsustainable and flukey. The Canes' advanced stats show they are actually better than their record. So if there is any justice (poetic justice may not fit), the Canes will win in a sweep."

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
A0FDC313-5C74-4B86-8B7B-A3A96BDFF6BE.jpeg

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
This series is truly a poetic justice series, and of all teams nothing is more pleasing to see the Islanders being the one losing to the poetic justice team. You can argue last season's San Jose-Anaheim series was also poetic justice, but nowhere near the extent this series has been. If the Islanders lose in a blowout in game 4, this will be the most poetic justice series in at least a decade (And hopefully in league history, although I haven't studied league history far enough to say).

220px-Poetic_Justice_%281993_movie_poster%29.jpg

Hey Janet.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If Isles lose their next game, will they be the first team to be swept in the second round, after sweeping in the first?
Answers in Petrarchan form are most appreciated, but at least make it rhyme.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

And for those who consider advanced stats to be of the devil?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If Isles lose their next game, will they be the first team to be swept in the second round, after sweeping in the first?
Answers in Petrarchan form are most appreciated, but at least make it rhyme.

New Yawk New Yawk
it's a hell of a town
they must be the first
four up, then four down

(I stole that from the Beastie Boys, and poorly I might add. sorry)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Doesn’t have anything to do with justice. The Isles just don’t have a good enough roster to make it any farther.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Meh

This series has been incredibly evenly matched for the most part. The Canes seem to have that little bit of extra something - chemistry, leadership, synergy, whatever you want to call it - that gives them an edge. Actually the Isles outplayed the Canes for huge swaths of games 1 and 2. Puck don't lie, but they also don't look like the typical team that goes down 3-0 in a series.

That's right. This is about as competitive a series could be for one team to be down 3-0. Isles have actually put together quite a few scoring chances in this series and their PP looks good. Canes are a very good stick-checking team though which has interrupted the type of cross crease passes that led to goals against the Pens.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I don't know about justice, but certainly not poetic. BTW: What exactly is a "poetic justice team?"

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't know about justice, but certainly not poetic. BTW: What exactly is a "poetic justice team?"
A group of people that band together to fight evil with irony . Or the Carolina hurricanes .

Idk I guess it would kinda be poetic justice if the canes won the cup forcing cherry to cover the bunch of jerks till the end of the season and then they do a twenty minute storm surge he has to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad