if NHL goes back to Olympics, what would USA roster look like?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Assuming a 25 man roster here are the names you would likely see

Goaltenders (x3):

Starter: Connor Hellebucyk
Back-up: Jake Oettenger
3rd stringer: One of Thatcher Demko or Jeremy Swayman

Defensemen (x8):

Adam Fox-Charlie McAvoy
Jaccob Slavin-Brett Pesce
Quinn Hughes-John Marino
Zach Werenski-Mikey Anderson

Forwards (x12):

Matthew Tkachuk-Auston Matthews-Johnny Gaudreau
Jason Robertson-Jack Eichel-Kyle Connor
J.T. Miller-Tage Thompson-Jack Hughes
Jake Guentzel-Dylan Larkin-Brady Tkachuk
Extras: Clayton Keller and Alex Tuch

Honestly, this is as good as gets historically for the U.S. I'd probably still give the edge to the 1996 World Cup of Hockey team due to the number of HOFers on that squad but top to bottom this team may have more depth. This would be a very difficult team to play againt. Every line has speed, size, and skill.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Assuming a 25 man roster here are the names you would likely see

Goaltenders (x3):

Starter: Connor Hellebucyk
Back-up: Jake Oettenger
3rd stringer: One of Thatcher Demko or Jeremy Swayman

Defensemen (x8):

Adam Fox-Charlie McAvoy
Jaccob Slavin-Brett Pesce
Quinn Hughes-John Marino
Zach Werenski-Mikey Anderson

Forwards (x12):

Matthew Tkachuk-Auston Matthews-Johnny Gaudreau
Jason Robertson-Jack Eichel-Kyle Connor
J.T. Miller-Tage Thompson-Jack Hughes
Jake Guentzel-Dylan Larkin-Brady Tkachuk
Extras: Clayton Keller and Alex Tuch

Honestly, this is as good as gets historically for the U.S. I'd probably still give the edge to the 1996 World Cup of Hockey team due to the number of HOFers on that squad but top to bottom this team may have more depth. This would be a very difficult team to play againt. Every line has a speed, size, and skill.
On paper the lineup is unreal. No weakness and lots of insane strengths in every position.

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022
depends on who is the coach.

with tortorella:

B.Tkachuk - JT Miller - M.Tkachuk
Kreider - Trochek - Zucker
Lee - Bjugstad - Oshie
Wood - Lowry - Hathaway

McCabe - Trouba
Samberg - Pionk
Samuelsson - Carlo
Lowry is Canadian. Played for Canada at 2022 WHC I do believe

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Change of national eligibility (The ‘four-year’ case)
A player, who has previously participated in IIHF competition, can switch national eligibility (but only once in a player's life) if:

• He/she is a citizen of the new country of his choice
  • A male player has participated for at least four consecutive years (1460 days) in the national competitions of his new country, during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country and has not played for his previous country in an IIHF competition during this four year period. For female players the period is two consecutive years (730 days).
  • He/she has an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national association of the new country and which was approved and dated at least four years (two years for female players) before the start of the IIHF competition in which the player wishes to participate.

More detailed information can be found in the IIHF Statutes & Bylaws.

Reactions: Play

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022
He did indeed. and played a pretty good tourney.

wrong.
Ty for confirming that

A player, who has previously participated in IIHF competition, can switch national eligibility (but only once in a player's life) if:

• A male player has participated for at least four consecutive years (1460 days) in the national competitions of his new country, during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country and has not played for his previous country in an IIHF competition during this four year period. For female players the period is two consecutive years (730 days).
  • He/she has an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national association of the new country and which was approved and dated at least four years (two years for female players) before the start of the IIHF competition in which the player wishes to participate.

I tried to add that but it didnt work for me. Thank u

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022
depends on who is the coach.

with tortorella:

B.Tkachuk - JT Miller - M.Tkachuk
Kreider - Trochek - Zucker
Lee - Bjugstad - Oshie
Wood - Lowry - Hathaway

McCabe - Trouba
Samberg - Pionk
Samuelsson - Carlo
You are forgetting a ton of good players

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Recently passed Petr Klima just had his twins go through this. They played CHL for the London Knights. Didn't get drafted etc. Returned to extraliga... have been their 4 years and can now represent the Czech team.

We wanted Arber Xhekau (Czech mom, speaks Czech) but he'd have to quit the NHL and play in the extraliga for 4 years.. not happening.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Recently passed Petr Klima just had his twins go through this. They played CHL for the London Knights. Didn't get drafted etc. Returned to extraliga... have been their 4 years and can now represent the Czech team.

We wanted Arber Xhekau (Czech mom, speaks Czech) but he'd have to quit the NHL and play in the extraliga for 4 years.. not happening.

That's a stupid rule. Any player with dual citizenship should just file for transfer of his card. have a waiting period (18 months is reasonable) where he can't play for the other country (in this case Canada) and be done with it. This rule of requiring to play in the domestic league for 4 years is idiotic.

I'm raising two kids who are duals. so I have a bias.

Reactions: mattihp

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That's a stupid rule. Any player with dual citizenship should just file for transfer of his card. have a waiting period (18 months is reasonable) where he can't play for the other country (in this case Canada) and be done with it. This rule of requiring to play in the domestic league for 4 years is idiotic.

I'm raising two kids who are duals. so I have a bias.
Funny thing.. it became a social rights issue. I guess several kids in Canada wanted to represent Syria and the only way they can would be to play in the Syrian Professional Hockey league for 4 years.lol I"m assuming these are Junior B type players that could help Syria win the D division or wherever they are.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Next Winter Olympics will be in 2026. I believe Luke Hughes, Sanderson and Beniers will be on that team and another forward and defenseman “X” (someone like Cooley) will have distinguished themselves as a shoe-in star by then.

Tkachuk-Matthews-Hughes
Robertson-Eichel-Connor
X-Thompson-Gaudreau
Beniers-Larkin-Tkachuk
Keller

Fox-McAvoy
Hughes-Sanderson
Hughes-Werenski
X

Hellebuyck
Oettinger
Whoever else is having a good year