If "Nasty Nate" MacKinnon wins the Conn Smythe, where would you rank him among active players heading into next season?

With a 2022 Conn Smythe, McKinnon would be the ____ best player in the NHL?

• 1st

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • 2nd

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • 3rd

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • 4th

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • 5th

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • 6th

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • 7th

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 8th

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <10th

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I’m sorry but you don’t think Draisaitl is a top 5 player???????? Really????????????
I have him right at 6.

McDavid is obvious, MacKinnon is a better driver, Crosby is still a top 3 player after his playoff performance, Kucherov is an automatic top 5 due to his playoff performances, his cup, and overall play, Matthews is just slightly better

Draisaitl’s lack of defensive impact and lack of ability to distinctly drive lines is what holds him back from being top 5.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Winning a Conn Smythe doesn't really change his ranking. To me he's below Makar and Matthews, somewhere with Kuch, Drai, Hedman.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The question is if Mack wins this year, is he a top-x player going forward into next year.

Comparing players from 5,10, 20 years ago and using that as a basis for what a player is this coming October is stupid.

3 years is generous already, because when I think of what a player is today, I don't go that far back.

Also, of those myriad of assists, how many are on the power play?
Does he play a prominent position like centre, defense or goalie?
Is he more important than Hedman, Vasi or Point for those cup runs?
No

He better crush those other players offensively to make up for the positional disparity.

Edit:

Let me illustrate this power play mercenary thing a little more.

Over the last 3 playoffs (the 2 cup wins + this year), Kucherov has played 61 games, Point with 53, and Mackinnon with 56.

Point and Mackinnon have 38 and 34 even strength points in those games played. Kucherov has 44.

That means that while playing a much more demanding role, Point has 6 less even strength points, 6 more even strength goals, while playing 8 less games.

Mackinnon has 10 less even strength points, 5 more even strength goals while playing 24 less games.

Kucherov has become much less of a dominant player for the majority of the games (as power play time is significantly less than power play time) over the years and plays the easiest position in the game - Winger - in terms of on-ice responsibility.

McDavid has played 22 playoff games these 3 years. He has 2 less even strength goals and 16 less even strength points in 39 less games played.
That's a whole lot of words just to say you're clueless.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I have him right at 6.

McDavid is obvious, MacKinnon is a better driver, Crosby is still a top 3 player after his playoff performance, Kucherov is an automatic top 5 due to his playoff performances, his cup, and overall play, Matthews is just slightly better

Draisaitl’s lack of defensive impact and lack of ability to distinctly drive lines is what holds him back from being top 5.
I can respect this reasonable and level-headed take, thanks

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Crosby is still a top 3 player after his playoff performance, Kucherov is an automatic top 5 due to his playoff performances, his cup, and overall play,
you know what - Kucherov have more playoff points than Crosby and than anyone else in league in last 10 years frame while played only 7 or 8 years at playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad