Proposal: "IF" Mrazek plays well

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
If Mrazek comes back and plays well - it is a Win / Win for Toronto

obviously it would mean continuation of winning games - however, I think the deeper value could then be the attractiveness to a team like
- Buffalo
- Ottawa
- Arizona
- Chicago
- San Jose
- Possibly Dallas and Colorado

- who all have NO long term goalie solution or NO CURRENT goalie solution

Obviously this is contingent on Mrazek not only playing well - but also STAYING HEALTHY

At this point the Leafs could choose to roll with two goalies playing well OR pull and 1992/93ish move and Give Campbell the "Felix Potvin treatment" and trade Mrazek (as they did with Fuhr)

Obviously Mrazek is no Fuhr - and they will not be getting an Andreychuk - however, the ability to then either go player for player (i.e. Miller for Mrazek or Bonino for Mrazek, or Connor Brown for Mrazek +, etc, etc) would go a long way for the Leafs.

- Even shedding the 3.8 M would then allow the Leafs to direct their attention to other areas
a) picking up a backup for the playoffs (at a cheap rate) - Like a Reimer or Halak, etc
b) Top 6 LW (Like a Giroux)
c) Depth Dman or Dmen (Miller, Braun, Giordano, etc)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Mrazek has a 10 team NTC. If he doesn't want to move, he can make it very difficult for Toronto to find a trade partner.

Avs have no interest in Mrazek, who is just another injury prone goalie.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Hawks maybe in the offseason but I can’t imagine them giving a decent pick for him.
Also a rebuild should be in order

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks have two goalies playing better than Mrazek this season and one is 25 and then have Gaudreau, Chrona, and Melnichuk in the pipeline. No interest whatsoever in Mrazek.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Mrazek has a 10 team NTC. If he doesn't want to move, he can make it very difficult for Toronto to find a trade partner.

I doubt that ALL of the 7 teams I outlined are on the No Trade list

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Sharks have two goalies playing better than Mrazek this season and one is 25 and then have Gaudreau, Chrona, and Melnichuk in the pipeline. No interest whatsoever in Mrazek.
some people need work on their "reading comprehension"

"IF Mrazek" plays well and comes back to form

he is either younger than Reimer or career better than Adin Hill who is a Backup

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I doubt that ALL of the 7 teams I outlined are on the No Trade list

Ottawa, Buffalo, and Arizona probably on his NTC. San Jose and Chicago are possibilities. Dallas has Oettinger coming up and Holtby/Khudobin signed for another 2 years. Colorado isn't interested.

So that leaves San Jose and Chicago as possibilities, but if Mrazek wanted to stay in Toronto, all he has to do is include teams that need a goalie to his list.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Ottawa, Buffalo, and Arizona probably on his NTC. San Jose and Chicago are possibilities. Dallas has Oettinger coming up and Holtby/Khudobin signed for another 2 years. Colorado isn't interested.

So that leaves San Jose and Chicago as possibilities, but if Mrazek wanted to stay in Toronto, all he has to do is include teams that need a goalie to his list.
From what I have seen out of the Avs goalies, I would think your GM is for sure looking.
Kuemper seems to have ptsd regarding his skates breaking, the guy last night was flat out bad. I guess you can hope Francois comes back from conditioning and plays well.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

To be fair every goalie aside from a select handful are all walking band-aids

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I suspect the market is going to be pretty small for a guy like Mrazek. In doesn't make sense for most of the those teams to trade assets or take on a contract like that.

As bad as it is in Ottawa, Gus/Forsberg are likely equivalent and the former probably better. No goalie can solve the team's defensive woes.

The contract itself is bizarre though. I'm not sure why Dubas went for that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
From what I have seen out of the Avs goalies, I would think your GM is for sure looking.
Kuemper seems to have ptsd regarding his skates breaking, the guy last night was flat out bad. I guess you can hope Francois comes back from conditioning and plays well.

Colorado may be looking for another goaltender, but there's no point getting another inconsistent, injury-prone stopgap signed for another 2 years after this season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
OP summed up in a gif:

VagueAbleApe-max-1mb.gif

Gonna need some assets to move that deal.
Weird deal from Dubas, not so much the AAV but the term.

Reactions: Kent Nilsson

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Colorado may be looking for another goaltender, but there's no point getting another inconsistent, injury-prone stopgap signed for another 2 years after this season.
If Kuemper can trust his gear again, he should be fine.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

he is either younger than Reimer or career better than Adin Hill who is a Backup

Sounds like you need help with your "communicating with others".

People made comments, putting them down doesn't really change that.

Mrazek just signed in Toronto, trading someone who just signed as UFA in his first year with the team is an awful look that could deter future UFAs.

Also, why so quick to rush out competent goaltending? If you start Campbell for 60-65 games, you'll run into the same problems you had with Andersen. Ride with it for a bit.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Some people need to understand that there’s 0 reason for the Sharks to trade pieces for someone who MIGHT be better than their backup. Just cause you made a stupid post and got called out for it doesn’t mean people can’t read. It means you made a stupid post.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If Mrazek comes back and plays well - it is a Win / Win for Toronto

obviously it would mean continuation of winning games - however, I think the deeper value could then be the attractiveness to a team like
- Buffalo
- Ottawa
- Arizona
- Chicago
- San Jose
- Possibly Dallas and Colorado

- who all have NO long term goalie solution or NO CURRENT goalie solution

Obviously this is contingent on Mrazek not only playing well - but also STAYING HEALTHY

At this point the Leafs could choose to roll with two goalies playing well OR pull and 1992/93ish move and Give Campbell the "Felix Potvin treatment" and trade Mrazek (as they did with Fuhr)

Obviously Mrazek is no Fuhr - and they will not be getting an Andreychuk - however, the ability to then either go player for player (i.e. Miller for Mrazek or Bonino for Mrazek, or Connor Brown for Mrazek +, etc, etc) would go a long way for the Leafs.

- Even shedding the 3.8 M would then allow the Leafs to direct their attention to other areas
a) picking up a backup for the playoffs (at a cheap rate) - Like a Reimer or Halak, etc
b) Top 6 LW (Like a Giroux)
c) Depth Dman or Dmen (Miller, Braun, Giordano, etc)

You made a signing of a guy that you had no reason to think was anything but a streaky, maybe backup caliber goalie. If you thought Mrazek was better than that? You f***ed up. He's a complete headcase in his play. You'll either get shutdown goaltending or he'll get lit up. There is no in between with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad