If McDavid retires tomorrow is he in the HHOF?

If McDavid retires tomorrow is he in the HHOF?

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Given hes been the best player in the league for almost 5 years now, yes. Never mind the Hart, 2 Pearsons and three first AST's. Or his scoring finishes of 1,1,2,2.

He wouldn't get in right away (I clicked first ballot by accident) but there is no way you can keep someone with a resume like that out for long.

Even if he retired to play golf or something and it wasn't a career ending injury, it wouldn't matter.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Lack of games would be a problem. He'd be the modern player with by far the fewest NHL games in the Hall. And if it was due to personal choice rather than brutal injury, it'd raise eyebrows and there'd definitely be opposition to it.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
He would be the best player in the history of about 16 teams, no questions asked.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Well, Lindros is in. If McDavid wins the Ross, Hart and Pearson this season and has a good playoff showing, a decent number of hockey people would say he's surpassed Eric's career.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Scenario: McDavid shocks the NHL and tomorrow says he's calling it a career as he doesn't want to play hockey anymore and wants to do something else, and indicates that he is retiring immediately.

Does he make the HHOF?

Remember that entry into the HHOF is voted on, if McDavid retired tomorrow because he wanted to do something else those voters would hold that against him if he is on the ballot.

Not sure why I'm even thinking about this though, it's a really silly scenario to discuss.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, Lindros is in. If McDavid wins the Ross, Hart and Pearson this season and has a good playoff showing, a decent number of hockey people would say he's surpassed Eric's career.

I'd argue he's already surpassed Eric's career. Lindros' last season of being a dominant player was age 25 in his 7th season, when he scored 40 goals and 93 points for the Rangers. After that, he either was injured or didn't produce like a dominant player.

After this year, McDavid will be finished his 6th season in the league and has more hardware than Lindros had.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd argue he's already surpassed Eric's career. Lindros' last season of being a dominant player was age 25 in his 7th season, when he scored 40 goals and 93 points for the Rangers. After that, he either was injured or didn't produce like a dominant player.

After this year, McDavid will be finished his 6th season in the league and has more hardware than Lindros had.
He was still a Flyer that year (1998-1999).

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
No he does not get into the HHOF if he retires now. the issue isn't talent its that he hasn't driven enough team success to overlook the longevity issue of playing less than 400 games and only 17 playoff games.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
No he does not get into the HHOF if he retires now. the issue isn't talent its that he hasn't driven enough team success to overlook the longevity issue of playing less than 400 games and only 17 playoff games.
Kunitz > McDavid

Reactions: Thenameless

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'd vote him in without blinking an eye. He's showed me more than enough. He is way better than many of the guys already enshrined.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Don't know if he will, but he should, certainly over the guys who accumulated "great career stats" over a long period of time, but were never truly dominant

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
"Playing ability (very good), sportsmanship (weak), character (meh) and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general (limited)."

I don't think he's anywhere near yet at this point, current ability would be his only argument.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
3 Art Rosses after this year

the only other players to have that many are Howe/Bobby Hull/Mikita/Esposito/Lafleur/Gretzky/Lemieux/Jagr

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Cam Neely got in on 6 productive full seasons which were nowhere near McDavid level in a higher scoring era so 100% McDavid should

Yeah I was going to say Neeley would be the closest comparison. McDavid is like a way better Neeley. Neeley had no trouble getting in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad