if Lindros/Crosby/Daigle shared the same draft year how would you rank them?

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
This will be interesting to see. Daigle was VERY highly touted, but Lindros was just DOMINANT and both he and Crosby were in the limelight well before they were even in junior.

IMO Eric Lindros was the most dominant player in an era of hockey. He was about 5-8 years before his time, not unlike Cam Neeley... just at a higher level. He brought a physical element that made other teams aware of the Flyers.

That being said.. Crosby is my choice. People still debate but IMO Crosby is the best player in hockey. OV is the most exciting by a mile but Crosby back checks, wins faceoffs, scores etc... he's the whole package... too many intangibles to pass up

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The thing is...
If you're the Nordiques.
And without knowing the things to come.
You pick Daigle or Crosby.

Probably Crosby.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
This much I know: Eric Lindros would be the near-unanimous choice for #1. People who think the hype for Crosby was high probably weren't around when Lindros was coming into the league. The sad thing is, he was living up to the hype too, until his inability to keep his head up caught up to him.

Eric Lindros was truly something special to watch from about 1993-1998. The most physically dominant player I have ever seen. People like to describe Ovechkin as a power forward. Those people did not watch Eric Lindros in his prime.

I think Crosby would go before Daigle. Daigle was a very high-end prospect, and he seemed to have the confidence and the talent (remember that celebration at the World Jr's?), but he wasn't quite as hyped as Crosby or Lindros was.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
This much I know: Eric Lindros would be the near-unanimous choice for #1. People who think the hype for Crosby was high probably weren't around when Lindros was coming into the league. The sad thing is, he was living up to the hype too, until his inability to keep his head up caught up to him.

Eric Lindros was truly something special to watch from about 1993-1998. The most physically dominant player I have ever seen. People like to describe Ovechkin as a power forward. Those people did not watch Eric Lindros in his prime.

I think Crosby would go before Daigle. Daigle was a very high-end prospect, and he seemed to have the confidence and the talent (remember that celebration at the World Jr's?), but he wasn't quite as hyped as Crosby or Lindros was.

Lindros wasn't living up to the hype at all. He was supposed to be as dominant as Wayne or Mario, and this was not the case at all. The man never even won the Art Ross (though he tied Jagr in the half-season, he lost on the tiebreaker).

Even before Eric finally got his clock cleaned, people were already arguing that Forsberg was better.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Diagle? really? talk about random...why not Patrik Stefan while you're at it...

Because nobody was calling Stefan "the next one." He was just the best prospect in a crappy year. Daigle, on the other hand, was supposed to be a franchise-saving superstar. I still don't think he was hyped as much as Lindros or Crosby.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Lindros
Crosby
Daigle

Without any doubt or hestitation.

You are absolutely right.

If you're talking about the hype that surrounded each player it is definitely in this exact order, and it's not even close.

The OP was probably interested in who would put the way the players turned out aside, and place Daigle ahead of the other two, but even when I do that, Daigle is still 3rd.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Lindros
Crosby
Daigle

Crosby absolutely crushed the rest of the Q in scoring as a 16 and 17 year old. Those two seasons might be the best pair of seasons by a 16 and 17 year old in Canadian junior hockey history. If they aren't, it's behind only players like Lemieux and Orr.

But Lindros had incredible scoring numbers as a 17 year old as well, and I don't know if you could pass up the total physical package. I'd take him over Crosby, but it would be close.

Daigle doesn't belong with these two as a prospect, even without considering anything after they were drafted. He was very good in junior, but he didn't even lead his league in scoring. Crosby and Lindros blew away their competition in scoring and brought a more complete game.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Lindros wasn't living up to the hype at all. He was supposed to be as dominant as Wayne or Mario, and this was not the case at all. The man never even won the Art Ross (though he tied Jagr in the half-season, he lost on the tiebreaker).

Even before Eric finally got his clock cleaned, people were already arguing that Forsberg was better.

I think that speaks more towards the unrealistic expectations of certain people more than Lindros' performance. Crosby was compared to Gretzky too, hell, even Wayne said he could break my records, but most of us knew/know that no one is ever going to touch Gretzky/Lemieux.

He averaged a 1.53 points/game between 1994 and 1997, but he just couldn't stay in the lineup. His performance in the 1997 playoffs was simply amazing, that is until the Cup Finals, but I can't overlook how dominant he was in the first three series beating Gretzky, Lemieux, and Hasek.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia

Yes, Lindros was hyped to the max, while entering a league that had Lemeiux, Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, etc. at or near their prime. The package of players and picks traded for him was astounding, yet he was supposed to be worth that!

He was living up to the hype as much as can be realistically expected, but his injuries were an issue from the time he entered the NHL.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Hype, etc............

A few misconceptions have to be removed from the discussion.

Even before the start of Eric Lindros' OHL career there were serious concerns about the "Hockey Parents" aspect surrounding him and how it would impact at the NHL level. History shows us that it became a major distraction.

Also certain junior scouts had doubts about Eric Lindros being able to sustain his game at the NHL level. They doubted that he could play with his head down against men who would not be intimidated like 16 year old boys and who were mature physically.Work ethic and hockey smarts were questionable. Most obvious question being "If an 8 - 10 year old can be taught or learn how to play with his head up why can't Eric learn?"

Alexander Daigle. Also a product of a hockey parent - one that stayed in the background. Those who followed his career from the pre junior days were well aware of the fact that Alexander was not really into hockey. The work ethic simply was not there and he lacked the proper pro mindset. The raw talent was there but you never saw improvement in the areas that needed work (work being the operative word).

Sidney Crosby - raised in an excellent hockey environment. Dad played in the Q, goalie, last round entry draft pick. Ideal hockey upbringing - away from the spotlight until junior, junior in Rimouski, not a media center. Great skills and pro mindset.Actually works at getting better and overcoming weaknesses.

#1 Crosby - the rest are not even close.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If Crosby were in the 91 draft he would've been four years old...

(yeah I'm a jackass)

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
A few misconceptions have to be removed from the discussion.

Even before the start of Eric Lindros' OHL career there were serious concerns about the "Hockey Parents" aspect surrounding him and how it would impact at the NHL level. History shows us that it became a major distraction.

Also certain junior scouts had doubts about Eric Lindros being able to sustain his game at the NHL level. They doubted that he could play with his head down against men who would not be intimidated like 16 year old boys and who were mature physically.Work ethic and hockey smarts were questionable. Most obvious question being "If an 8 - 10 year old can be taught or learn how to play with his head up why can't Eric learn?"

Alexander Daigle. Also a product of a hockey parent - one that stayed in the background. Those who followed his career from the pre junior days were well aware of the fact that Alexander was not really into hockey. The work ethic simply was not there and he lacked the proper pro mindset. The raw talent was there but you never saw improvement in the areas that needed work (work being the operative word).

Sidney Crosby - raised in an excellent hockey environment. Dad played in the Q, goalie, last round entry draft pick. Ideal hockey upbringing - away from the spotlight until junior, junior in Rimouski, not a media center. Great skills and pro mindset.Actually works at getting better and overcoming weaknesses.

#1 Crosby - the rest are not even close.

You bring up some very interesting points. But I'm purely speaking from a media and fan standpoint, not someone affiliated with the league and who really knew the "inside scoop", especially regarding Lindros' parents, although we all got a good peek at it when he refused to play for the Nordiques.

But on a media-alone standpoint, wouldn't you say Lindros was the most hyped? That's just what I can gather from memory and an "outsider's" point of view on the raw hockey skills he brought to the table, which honestly were more prevalent than Crosby and Daigle.

The thing is, I'm ranking them not on how they turned out, but on the complete package they were coming into the league. Obviously Crosby would be picked first, in hindsight. Or would he?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
You bring up some very interesting points. But I'm purely speaking from a media and fan standpoint, not someone affiliated with the league and who really knew the "inside scoop", especially regarding Lindros' parents, although we all got a good peek at it when he refused to play for the Nordiques.

But on a media-alone standpoint, wouldn't you say Lindros was the most hyped? That's just what I can gather from memory and an "outsider's" point of view on the raw hockey skills he brought to the table, which honestly were more prevalent than Crosby and Daigle.

The thing is, I'm ranking them not on how they turned out, but on the complete package they were coming into the league. Obviously Crosby would be picked first, in hindsight. Or would he?

Had a look at the parent situation with Lindros when he refused to play for the OHL team that drafted him and was traded to Oshawa. pre NHL entry draft and pre Nordiques saga.

Not really sure what you mean by raw hockey skills. Looking good against physically immature teenagers who you outweigh by upwards of 60 lbs skews evaluations. Even if that consideration is set aside you still have to balance the skill package and potential against a rather obvious, potentially fatal flaw - playing with his head down. Now if your ego is such that you think that your team's coaching staff can correct such a flaw that other team's and coaches have not despite having app 10 years to do so then go ahead, draft him and live with the risks.

Lindros was the most hyped because he was the most accessible. Oshawa is a short trip from Toronto. Victoriaville and Rimouski are respectively 2 1/2 hours and 7 hours away, one way from significant media coverage(Montreal). Again the media hype just shows that the media, in general, is a poor judge of hockey talent(McKenzie and Joyce would be the two obvious exceptions that come to mind).

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Based on predraft interest/hype:

Lindros
Crosby
Daigle

If Lindros stayed healthy, that would have been the correct order as well.

For the above that said Lindros was disappinting even before the concussions, that certainly isn't true.

Also Lindros was never expected to put up point on a Gretzky/Lemieux level. He was supposed to be a bigger and better version of Messier, and that's exactly what he was.

Lindros was a top 5 all-time ppg player (Gretz, Mario, Orr and Bossy), while being a devastating physical player. That was with the majority of his career being played in the deadpuck era.

His issue was that he was fragile, and not just the concussions ... (Knees, punctured lung, etc.)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It might not be the point of the thread, but if anything, the hype around Daigle was that would end up a Gaborik-like player.

Franchise, superstar winger.

But not generational.

Something Crosby and Lindros were hyped as.

Turned out Crosby IS a generationnal talent, while Lindros wasn't.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
I was under the impression that there never was as much buzz around Daigle as it was around Lindros and Crosby. I was actually thinking about starting a thread about the hype around Lemieux, Lindros and Crosby and who was the most highly touted prospect of these three. In retrospect it's of course easy to remember Lemieux as the most hyped because of his career but was he considered a better prospect than Lindros on draft day?

Is there any other #1 pick that comes close to Lemieux/Lindros/Daigle/Crosby? What about Lafleur in 71?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad