Speculation: If Karlsson decides to stay...

Karl=Alf?

• Total voters

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Karlsson is overall better than Alfressson but he's not more loved/worshipped than him and that's even if Karlsson resigns. It would take quite a bit for Karlsson to reach Alfredsson level affection

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson is overall better than Alfressson but he's not more loved/worshipped than him and that's even if Karlsson resigns. It would take quite a bit for Karlsson to reach Alfredsson level affection

If EK re-signs he will be.

EK is still in his prime. If he comes close to repeating what he's already done(which he should considering we SHOULD put out a better team) then he'll 100% usurp Alfredsson in a few years, let alone at the end of his career.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I
If EK re-signs he will be.

EK is still in his prime. If he comes close to repeating what he's already done(which he should considering we SHOULD put out a better team) then he'll 100% usurp Alfredsson in a few years, let alone at the end of his career.
I don't think so. The love and admiration that Alfressson received was nauseating even for a die hard fan of the team and fan of the player.

He reaches outside of the rink. The way I see it at the end of the day, when we look back at both careers, Karlsson will represent as the most talented Sens ever while Alfressson will represent the Ottawa Senators and the city of Ottawa.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If he gets paid what he deserves, so he won’t be here because there is no way Melnyck pays him over $10 million.

If he wouldn’t do it for a legend line Alfie who wanted what was fair, he won’t do it for Karlsson.

What else did Eugene Melnyk tell you?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,EK will resign if he feels the team will move in the right direction...I think EM would understand that in order to keep the team progressing,he needs to talk less about what we cant do ..

Also him investing in the team now ,will pay off in the near future,the budget talk and trade leaks need to end...The Toronto media just feeds off of this ,and it needs to buttoned up tight...

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
That's the thing with insider knowledge. If you ever show your hand.. You quickly lose your knowledge.

Have you vetted your source(s) with the mods?

I used to have the opportunity to chat a decent amount with a member of the organization and I was made to prove it to mods. Makes sense, or else trolls (not accusing you whatsoever) are empowered to spread disinformation.

Your authenticity is particularly important to me because I’m in Ottawa for the first time in ages and if this is going to be EKs last home game... well, I feel more and more strongly each minute that I should eschew my current plans to see the most talented Senator ever play live one more time.

On the other hand, the team is terrible right now lol

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'll say no. Alfredsson always looked like he was working hard even though he was less effective than Karlsson is today and clearly not as good a player.

Combine that with captaining and leading the team on our first few big runs in the playoffs (especially the 07 one), it will be difficult for Karlsson to reach that level.

Karlsson is an effortless talent. He works just as hard but visually you don't see that when compared to a guy like Alfredsson. If he stays and we go on a few deep runs and he has some clutch goals and moments like Alfredsson did or like Karlsson himself did last year... then it's possible. But I'm leaning towards no because Alfredsson was first and he looks like a harder worker (even though Karlsson works just as hard).

In terms of the NHL Karlsson is way better and will be remembered. But to this franchise, I think he would need a cup win to cement his status in Ottawa above Alfredsson. If we have several deep runs that he captains, he could be at or slightly below the level of Alfredsson.

Alfie didn't reach Alfie status until later in his career anyway. He was ripped about for that Pominville OT goal, then of course the Craig Conroy rumors.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Meh ,EK will resign if he feels the team will move in the right direction...I think EM would understand that in order to keep the team progressing,he needs to talk less about what we cant do ..

Also him investing in the team now ,will pay off in the near future,the budget talk and trade leaks need to end...The Toronto media just feeds off of this ,and it needs to buttoned up tight...

every time we think that melnyk understands this he comes out and says something even worse

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
He is there already. Karlsson's playoff run last year eclipses Alfie's in 07 by a good distance. That was the best and most heroic performance we will probably ever see in a Sens uniform.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Karlsson is farther along in terms of popularity and individual accomplishments at this point in his career than Alfredsson was. If Karlsson retires today, he's a HHOF considering every other player with his level of individual achievements have gotten in. Alfredsson with twice as long of a career is not in yet.

In terms of reputation, Alfredsson benefited from being in his prime when the Senators were a contender. Karlsson has played out his career thus far on playoff bubble teams. Alfredsson never carried the Senators in the way Karlsson did during last year's playoff run.

For me, Karlsson is above Alfredsson even now. But to the general public, I still think Alfredsson is #1. Look at how successful the Senators milking his number retirement was for them. Outside of a very short window, they did not sell individual game tickets, tickets to the game could only be purchased as part of a package deal with multiple other games, yet it still sold out.

I think Karlsson will easily overtake Alfredsson in terms of how he is viewed league wide by non-Senators fans, but locally I don't think it is a shoe in if he stays. Fans are very fickle, so if we fail to make an impact over the next 8 years, regardless of how wrong it is, I think that might prevent Karlsson from overtaking Alfredsson locally. If we have even a minimal amount of success, maybe one more deep run with our typical playoffs every other year, I think Karl passes Alfredsson if he plays out his career here.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Have you vetted your source(s) with the mods?

I used to have the opportunity to chat a decent amount with a member of the organization and I was made to prove it to mods. Makes sense, or else trolls (not accusing you whatsoever) are empowered to spread disinformation.

Your authenticity is particularly important to me because I’m in Ottawa for the first time in ages and if this is going to be EKs last home game... well, I feel more and more strongly each minute that I should eschew my current plans to see the most talented Senator ever play live one more time.

On the other hand, the team is terrible right now lol

I didn't know that was a thing around here.

I wouldn't be opposed to it although I have serious privacy concerns.

It's basically been a response to mysens sauntering through saying he moves in such big wheel circles and that anyone who really knows anything about the situation knows Melnyk is overall great.

I'm sure he does know lots of people , but there are more then a few people on here who are very plugged in who don't say shit , because that's how it's works in the business and in life.

We arent going to get into some stupid public e-feud and burn our friends and family and colleagues to "win it". I don't care what other people are selling , the people I trust who have trusted me with bits of information are who matter, and they have been forthright and candid in telling a very different narrative.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

It's basically been a response to mysens sauntering through saying he moves in such big wheel circles and that anyone who really knows anything about the situation knows Melnyk is overall great.

I'm sure he does know lots of people , but there are more then a few people on here who are very plugged in who don't say **** , because that's how it's works in the business and in life.

We arent going to get into some stupid public e-feud and burn our friends and family and colleagues to "win it". I don't care what other people are selling , the people I trust who have trusted me with bits of information are who matter, and they have been forthright and candid in telling a very different narrative.
It's really obvious that particular poster has no sources or ties though. That's someone desperate for attention and their lies are paper thin.

Like you said, no one goes around boasting of their social status and charitabilty on some forum like this. That's a narcissist wanting to insert themselves into the conversation. It would absolutely shock me if that person in question has an adult brain.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
It's really obvious that particular poster has no sources or ties though. That's someone desperate for attention and their lies are paper thin.

Like you said, no one goes around boasting of their social status and charitabilty on some forum like this. That's a narcissist wanting to insert themselves into the conversation. It would absolutely shock me if that person in question has an adult brain.
Never boasting, when I am pressed to explain how I am able to hear and see such things, I try to paint a picture. In the process, I have become a "boasting" type and apparently am being questioned now. That is fine. But I have rubbed many people here the wrong way because of who I am, what I do with charities etc. Again, that is fine. I am extremely well respected not only in Ottawa, but in many parts. And yes, flame me for stating such a thing. Again, thats fine. My adult brain is more than capable of handling it....I could post pictures of myself and EM but then, I would reveal myself. I could post pictures of some of the players with my children, but that would reveal who I am.....believe it or not, I am very private, and with this place I can have some anonymity....besides, its more fun this way. EK is not going anywhere. Period.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Never boasting, when I am pressed to explain how I am able to hear and see such things, I try to paint a picture. In the process, I have become a "boasting" type and apparently am being questioned now. That is fine. But I have rubbed many people here the wrong way because of who I am, what I do with charities etc. Again, that is fine. I am extremely well respected not only in Ottawa, but in many parts. And yes, flame me for stating such a thing. Again, thats fine. My adult brain is more than capable of handling it....I could post pictures of myself and EM but then, I would reveal myself. I could post pictures of some of the players with my children, but that would reveal who I am.....believe it or not, I am very private, and with this place I can have some anonymity....besides, its more fun this way. EK is not going anywhere. Period.
giphy.gif

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I'm sure he does know lots of people , but there are more then a few people on here who are very plugged in who don't say **** , because that's how it's works in the business and in life.

Personally, I feel no need for you to verify yourself - although when I did so in the past, I was able to do so without revealing much of anything. If you are interested, find a mod you trust and see what it would take to get verified.

I am able, to some degree, to evaluate the validity of a claim that is being made on here. Melnyk being well-liked and respected? I know people connected to him in enough different ways who have their own impressions of him and impressions of what others think of him that I can form my own opinions on the matter. None of the people I know who have worked with Melnyk have looked me in the eye and said a single thing good about the man (at least not in the past 5-10 years) and I know a lot of people who are relatively closely connected to him. I don't think the poster in question is lying, but the fact that what he says goes against a lot of what I've heard from people that I trust makes me think he might be seeing things through a biased lense.

All that said, the only clarification I am seeking from you personally is this: was your original comment in this thread an honest expression of what you have heard from someone you trust, or was it just a tongue-in-cheek, jokey comment? I am not questioning your credibility at all - just trying to determine the tone of your post.

PS: while I know people who are connected to the Sens, I no longer have any contacts in management/player ops whatsoever.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
For all the adoration that Alfredsson received in this town, it was also tempered by a lot of doubt from basically the start of his captaincy through to the Cup run. People tend to forget that whole dark era when discussing Alfredsson's role with the team. Alfredsson guiding this team to the finals in 2007 wasn't seen as a surprise, but as the Senators finally breaking through and achieving something that had been within reach for years.

Contrarily, Karlsson was a darling from the start and, thus far, his captaincy has been painted as him leading the team to greater heights than they would otherwise achieve without him. The Senators going on that run to the Conference Finals was a complete shock and a lot of people point to Karlsson as the reason the team made it as far as they did. When Alfredsson was at Karlsson's age, he hadn't even been made captain yet. When Alfredsson was at the same point in his career, the lockout hadn't happened and we were in the midst of the infamous Leafs series.

And yet we're already at the point where we're comparing the two for their role with this team.

If Karlsson stays for the long-term. He easily surpasses Alfie in my mind.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Personally, I feel no need for you to verify yourself - although when I did so in the past, I was able to do so without revealing much of anything. If you are interested, find a mod you trust and see what it would take to get verified.

I am able, to some degree, to evaluate the validity of a claim that is being made on here. Melnyk being well-liked and respected? I know people connected to him in enough different ways who have their own impressions of him and impressions of what others think of him that I can form my own opinions on the matter. None of the people I know who have worked with Melnyk have looked me in the eye and said a single thing good about the man (at least not in the past 5-10 years) and I know a lot of people who are relatively closely connected to him. I don't think the poster in question is lying, but the fact that what he says goes against a lot of what I've heard from people that I trust makes me think he might be seeing things through a biased lense.

All that said, the only clarification I am seeking from you personally is this: was your original comment in this thread an honest expression of what you have heard from someone you trust, or was it just a tongue-in-cheek, jokey comment? I am not questioning your credibility at all - just trying to determine the tone of your post.

PS: while I know people who are connected to the Sens, I no longer have any contacts in management/player ops whatsoever.

It was an honest expression from someone that I trust that the org is committed to keeping him.

My contacts are/were entirely of the front office executive and business variety. Not hockey ops.

Probably alot like you.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad