If John Tavares Leaves... Does Garth Snow get fired?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just something I was thinking about.

It's likely Garth Snow's number one project from now and July 1st is to get John Tavares to stay with the Islanders. There are already billboards around Long Island calling for his job.

If, on July 1st, John Tavares signs elsewhere, would Garth Snow lose his job the next days or weeks ahead?

Or would the Islanders allow Snow to continue?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Why would you fire a guy that traded a #4D for the next Karlsson?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Tavares held the Islanders hostage this TDL. If you know there's even a chance he's thinking of leaving you trade him. And Bailey too who you would have gotten a kings ransom for.

If you know for sure he's staying then you become a buyer and gear up for your last playoff run with Tavares on the biggest bargain contract in the league.

Problem is if you're a buyer and then JT walks, the firsts that you gave up become massive losses for a team that is going to be looking at rebuilding around Barzal.

They might end up with two lotto picks at this year's draft.. but I would have no faith in Snow to be making those picks if I'm an Islanders fan.

Just an ugly situation, but they should have traded Tavares at the deadline. At least you know what you're working with and can plan accordingly instead of having this huge cloud of unknowns that is clearly affecting Tavares and the rest of the team.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I guess it depends on how the owner feels. Garth probably laid the options on the table and made the him aware of how things could go. I suspect he proceeded with the blessing of the owner.
Thus, he would not be, I wouldn't think.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Charles Wang's parting """""""gift"""""" to the Islanders was to give Snow a sizable extension before selling the team.

The vast majority of fans want him gone, but it's easy to talk on the internet about buying out his contract with someone else's millions.

Reactions: Rob

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Tavares held the Islanders hostage this TDL. If you know there's even a chance he's thinking of leaving you trade him. And Bailey too who you would have gotten a kings ransom for.

If you know for sure he's staying then you become a buyer and gear up for your last playoff run with Tavares on the biggest bargain contract in the league.

Problem is if you're a buyer and then JT walks, the firsts that you gave up become massive losses for a team that is going to be looking at rebuilding around Barzal.

They might end up with two lotto picks at this year's draft.. but I would have no faith in Snow to be making those picks if I'm an Islanders fan.

Just an ugly situation, but they should have traded Tavares at the deadline. At least you know what you're working with and can plan accordingly instead of having this huge cloud of unknowns that is clearly affecting Tavares and the rest of the team.
They can trade with Montreal (or any non-playoff team) for the ability to sign him to an extra year. :dunno:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

What seller ended up cashing out at the trade deadline exactly?

Stastny, Nash, Kane - typical 1st/2nd + prospect nobody knows type of deals. Trading Tavares for a package like that would have been much worse than keeping him around.

Your Rangers move the biggest asset in McDonagh, and pretty much the universal consensus is that Yzerman took the Rangers to the cleaners, keeping Point & Sergachev and even getting JT Miller back.

Guys like Mike Green didn't even end up getting traded. Anticipating the huge, amazing, franchise-saving returns we could have gotten for Tavares and/or Bailey that we squandered isn't based at all in reality, it's based in predictions and assumptions of what could have happened during a year where buyers were only parting with expendable assets.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
What seller ended up cashing out at the trade deadline exactly?

Stastny, Nash, Kane - typical 1st/2nd + prospect nobody knows type of deals. Trading Tavares for a package like that would have been much worse than keeping him around.

Your Rangers move the biggest asset in McDonagh, and pretty much the universal consensus is that Yzerman took the Rangers to the cleaners, keeping Point & Sergachev and even getting JT Miller back.

Guys like Mike Green didn't even end up getting traded. Anticipating the huge, amazing, franchise-saving returns we could have gotten for Tavares and/or Bailey that we squandered isn't based at all in reality, it's based in predictions and assumptions of what could have happened during a year where buyers were only parting with expendable assets.

True. But standing pat was the worst possible thing.

Maybe Snow was trying to save face here? If he trades Tavares (for an underwhelming return, I do agree there) then he's the Ahole who traded the best Islander since the dynasty days.

If he walks well then all the heat is on Tavares for abandoning ship.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
They should've told Tavares to make a decision by the TDL. If he doesnt sign, then he's traded (unless the team is in the playoffs).

They might have two lottery picks this year, then you add what you get for Tavares + whoever else you sell off, and things can turn around relatively quickly, if they dont blow those picks. Plus you already have a 1C in Barzal.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
They should've told Tavares to make a decision by the TDL. If he doesnt sign, then he's traded (unless the team is in the playoffs).

Yep. At least that would be taking some control of the situation. Islanders are pretty much at Tavares mercy now. To first get his **** together on the ice and carry the Islanders into the playoffs and then to sign an extension.

That's why I'm willing to give Gorton the benefit of the doubt on trading McDonagh ASAP instead of holding out for a potentially better offer at the draft.

At least now he knows what he's working with instead of the unknown of what you MIGHT get 4 months from now with little time to prepare for the draft and making a big move to jump up some picks if we are on the outside of the top 5 or so.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
True. But standing pat was the worst possible thing.

Maybe Snow was trying to save face here? If he trades Tavares (for an underwhelming return, I do agree there) then he's the Ahole who traded the best Islander since the dynasty days.

If he walks well then all the heat is on Tavares for abandoning ship.

He's playing a game of chicken with Tavares. A dangerous game of chicken, but a game of chicken none the less.

Tavares - "I want to stay on Long Island, I love it here, I want to be an Islander for life, I just want to wait until the end of the season before talking with the owners"

Snow - "We want you here on Long Island, we're willing to back up a money truck to stay, we totally trust that you want to be here and won't even consider trading you to another team"

The second Snow starts shopping around Tavares, it'll leak to the media and that seal of trust gets broken. If he keeps playing chicken up until Tavares decides where he wants to play hockey next, the heat will be on JT if he leaves. However, that would absolutely strengthen the "Snow must go" subfaction, perhaps to the point that the owners feel they have to step in and fire Garth just to subdue the angry mob.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He should've been fired a long time ago, so no he won't. He'll only get fired if he did something to embarrass the team in the worst of ways, and I'm talking outside the rink.

But Tavares should get his contract right now.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If they haven't fired at this point I am not sure why they would now.

I mean I could see firing him for yet another non-play-off year from his team but the Tavares issue (if he leaves) seems to have as much to do with the uncertainty of where they are going to play and the general gong show of the organization which seems to be more of an ownership issue than a GM issue (even though I would say Snow is part of it for the terrible teams he has built over the years.)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Garth is invincible for some unknown reason. He’s awful and the Islanders will be stuck in mediocrity until he’s finally fired. It would certainly be a huge blunder if J.T. signs this off season with another team though. Talk about horrible asset management.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
He should've been fired a long time ago, so no he won't. He'll only get fired if he did something to embarrass the team in the worst of ways, and I'm talking outside the rink.

But Tavares should get his contract right now.

He would have signed by now IMO. He is taking a risk here by waiting it out. Stamkos would have been boned if his blood clot was more serious and he was forced to retire just 3 months away from the biggest payday of his life.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm not sure Tavares should be re-signed. In a league that is just getting faster and faster. Despite the respectable stats JT has put up this year. He has been very ordinary of late. From an asset management view point. A slowing 28 year old skater next season signed to a long term contract may not be the wisest thing.

Snow should be fired he didn't get any assets for JT, amongst other factors.

Reactions: pucky

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I'm not sure Tavares should be re-signed. In a league that is just getting faster and faster. Despite the respectable stats JT has put up this year. He has been very ordinary of late. From an asset management view point. A slowing 28 year old skater next season signed to a long term contract may not be the wisest thing.

Snow should be fired he didn't get any assets for JT, amongst other factors.

Agreed.

JT has not looked like a 12 million dollar player for half this season.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4