If it's of any use to the board (Upd: 1939 Stanley Cup Finals coverage)

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
As part of my job I often go through old newspapers and magazines and the like...I went through a lot of old Sports Illustrated's (1955-1956 mostly). I came across a Jean Beliveau cover and didn't think twice about searching for the accompanying article - I was fascinated by it as I've been spending a lot of time learning the history of the game in the past few months (in large part thanks to the HoH experts).

Anyhow, upon completing the article I immediately thought of the HoH board...so I figured I'd post it here (with permission from Doctor No) in case it offers even one little tidbit of information to any poster that isn't Canadiens1958 (perhaps he knows this article already ;).

In addition to this article from January 23, 1956, I actually acquired a The Hockey News Yearbook from 1985 which has awesome articles titled [paraphrasing] "Will the Oilers become a dynasty?" and "Mario Lemieux: Last Chance for the Penguins in Pittsburgh?" (essentially). I have that magazine physically in my possession and would be happy to share anything from it if anyone is interested although it is from a recent enough time where many posters here already have a firm grasp of that timeframe.

Anyhow, here it is:

302t9fl.jpg

2nm3sz6.jpg

2hqttah.jpg

24xpeyr.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Bill Carse, Mac Colville, Neil Colville. Frank Brimsek, Flash Hollett, Eddie Shore.
2urrqr4.jpg

Article about the Rangers/Bruins series. On the right, there's the start of an article the Wings/Leafs series. Some focus on Don Deacon.
9icwlh.jpg

Continuation of the article from the above picture regarding the Leafs/Wings series. Just pick up where the article leaves off on the second picture or you'll end up with a headache...here's a chance to apologize for picture quality, I did the best I could without a scanner. I can read the article, if anyone wants a write-up, I can do that.
2e3ttz7.jpg

Between-game article about Toronto fans throwing things from the cheap seats (literally, they were 40 cents) and the police protection that was summoned.
2vlv4g8.jpg

Picture of Burke McDonald, Syl Apps and Gordon Drillon.
nqv0bk.jpg

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The next article is difficult to read, I can post if it if you like, but here's a typed version...for reference, it's the article to the left of the Syl Apps picture in the above photo. It's on the spine, so it'll be easier to read for me on my computer where I can zoom in and what not.

Headline: Dumart Scores for Hub Sextet in First Period
Sub: Brimsek, Helped by Shore and Portland, Thwarts Toronto's Early Thrusts

Article:
NY Herald Tribune via Boston AP April 6 said:
The Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs tonight opened their best four out of seven games series fro the prized Stanley Cup before an overflow crowd of almost 17,000 at the Boston Garden.

Boston won, 2 to 1.

Both clubs were at full strength and, as injury insurance, each had several farm hands standing by for emergency servicec.

About 2,000 of the spectators were standees and when the doors opened, four hours before the starting faceoff, a large detail of police confiscated an assortment of missiles, including bottles, and one brick, from those headed for the rush seats in the top balcony.

- Police Keep Vigil -

When the game started, police details were scattered about the arena under orders to arrest any one caught throwing objects on the playing surface.

Bill Cowley and urph Chamberlain opened the game by facing off and before the action was a minuteold the former was sent off for slashing Nick Metz. The Leafs hurled five forwards against the short-handed Bruins, only to be held under firm control for the two minutes.

Going to half time, the teams continued to feel the other out and most rushes were broken at the blue lines. During that interval the teams had two shots each at the enemy nets. Shore and Bauer fired for Boston and Jackson and Kampman for the Leafs.

The Bruins' first opportunity came ____ 11 minutes when Bingo Kampmann suffered the first Toronto penalty. The first Boston rush put heavy pressure on Hal Broda, but once it was broken up, the short-hnaded Leafs held their own until they regained full strength.

- Dumont Scores for Boston -

With five minutes remaining in the session, Red Horner went off for cross-checking Gordon Pettinger. When Eddie Shore launched a rink-length rush. Woody Dumart took the defenseman's pass from the backboards and slapped a ten-footer through Broda to open the scoring at 16:04.

Dumont drew a penalty a few seconds after his scoring shot and the period ran out with the Bruins leading, 1 to 0.

During the first minute of second period play, Mel (Sudden Death) Hill, rushing with Shore, jumped through the Toronto defense from the left side boards and missed the defenseless Broda's case by a foot from ten feet out.

Roy Conacher gave the Leafs a chance to get rolling by going off for interference. The visitors put the forwards into action against Shore, Portland, Weiland and Hollet, but failed to cause Brimsek much concern. Apps had the honly shot at the Boston goal while the Bruins were shorthanded.

- Boston Attack Checked -

Jackson and Hamilton relieve each other in the penalty box, but the under-manned Leafs held firm during the four minutes, and broke up a half dozen thrusts. At halftime the Leafs were trying to shake Syl Apps loose, but the canny Bill Cowley kept him in check.

The Bruins had an easy time halting Toronto's not too efficient aggressiveness tactics during the first half of the third frame, before Big Jack Portland came to the visitors' rescue by drawing an interference penalty. As he headed for the box, the Leafs rushed on five forwards, for the third time in the game, but Drillon ruined their hopes by drawing a holding penalty. Before he went off, that winger blazed away from five feet at Brimsek, but the latter foiled him and then spoiled equally hard tries by Apps and Metz.

The line up:

Boston..........Toronto:
G: Brimsek..........Broda
RD: Shore..........Kampman
LD: Portland..........Horner
C: Cowley..........Chamberlain
RW: Hill..........Kelly
LW: Conacher..........Metz

Boston "spares": Schmidt, Dumart, Bauer, Clapper, Crawford, Pettinger, Hollett, ___liffe, Hamill, Weiland. Toronto: Apps, Drillon, Davidson, Hamilton, McDonald, _____nes, Langelle, Jackson, Marker, Fowler.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Picture of Bobby Bauer, Hal Broda, Bucko McDonald, Nick Metz "futilely" guarding Woody Dumart,
r25hsm.jpg

The article below the Broda/Dumart picture is also a victim of my poor photography skills. Here it is...

Headline: Hockey Rivals Rest and Toss Verbal Checks
Sub: Both Leafs and Bruins Say They Were 'Off' in Opener, Sure to Win Tomorrow

NY Herald Tribune via AP Boston April 7 said:
An exchange of sneers was the only aftermath of the Stanley Cup hockey opening registered today by the ______ Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs.

Unaccustomed to such a ____ when Toronto's Connie Smythe is in this vicinity, hockey writers called upon the resting Leafs. The visitors were unable to ruffle Smythe, who was too intent on revising his strategy for Sunday night's second game, but they did succeed in drawing fire from some of his players.

After expressing regrets over their 2-1 defeat last night, a Toronto spokesman expressed amazement that the Maple Leafs came so close to defeating the Bruins while playing so poorly.

"If that's the best the Bruins are going to show us, we've got the Stanley Cup as good as won now," he boasted.

The Bruins, too, admitted they were far off form.

"It's a good thing we were not playing the Rangers last night," said Gordon Pettinger. "We were hitting on only two cylinders all night. If that's the best the best the Maple Leafs can do against our worst, they may as well give up now. We couldn't possibly be that easy again in the series."

Cooney Weiland, the Bruins' captain and assistant manager, was more tolerant about his team's winning methods.

"After all, this is Stanley Cup hockey," he explained, "and we're much more interested in winning than we are in providing thrills for the spectators, as we have done, to our sorrow, in the last four playoffs with Toronto. We want the cup, and the only way we can get it is by outscoring the Leafs. What did we ever get by merely outplaying them?"

Neither team suffered any serious injuries. Both sides had the usual quota of minor cuts, the most serious of which was Eddie Shore's gashed leg. That wound will not prevent the Boston defense man from appearing Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad