GDT: If it quacks like a Duck, it's probably bad at hockey and will get blown away by a Hurricane.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Also, I think I technically won an Emmy tonight. If you didn’t catch it, in the third period, they announced the broadcast team won an Emmy for Game 7 of the Bruins series last year. I didn’t catch what category it was, because the cheers over the headset drowned it out.

But since I contributed to that broadcast, I’m counting it as an Emmy win…or at least a honorary one.
If true (and by that I mean if you heard right and it's the national Emmys and not a regional or sports Emmy, because I have no idea their policies), you should get a trophy in the mail.

One of my friends works in the trailer for CBS football broadcasts and their crew won an Emmy for Super Bowl 50. He got his trophy a few months later and keeps it in his apt. Pretty cool stuff.

Congrats!

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I don't know this guy but I've seen him behind Shane and Hannah before and honestly he's one of the reasons why I wouldn't be upset if they quit doing their shows in the concourses. He had a sign one time asking Hannah to go out with him, very weird.

Fans with schticks are either really awesome or really annoying. Unfortunately I feel like our fanbase has the latter, there's also the person with the inflatable suit.

I hate that guy. I sat a couple rows behind him on opening night. He's a freak and a degenerate. Besides the wig and electronic message goggles and sequin jacket- he wears shiny red PVC stripper boots with like 4" platforms.

He was behaving erratically, ran his mouth constantly and turned around and kept trying to start shit with some CBJ fans behind him (which wouldn't have gone well for him).

I have a fairly clear view of where he sits from my normal seats, and frequently see him up to something strange.

For some reason my wife thinks the inflatable suit guy is funny. Then again she thinks Jim Gaffigan is funny. I guess she's easily amused.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Glad we agree

So you are going to read too much into it.

Meh, just an observation. I'll worry more if it keeps happening. Just interested in what we do at the deadline now.

Yep -
Rare svechhammer and Borsig agreement. Dude is a straight up boomerdouche.

Of all the "visible" fans, he's probably the biggest irritant. Unlike 3 horn guy. 3 horn guy needs like... IDK, a statue or something. A big statue cause he's a big dude.

By the way we sucked last night. I haven't watched the replays etc but from our seats andersen looked soft AF

3 horn guy (Big Mike) is officially affiliated with the Canes as a brand ambassador and used to be a part of the Storm Squad. I think he might be an unofficial part of the Canes Crew, wouldn't shock me if he's their coach or mentor or something.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Meh, just an observation. I'll worry more if it keeps happening. Just interested in what we do at the deadline now.

3 horn guy (Big Mike) is officially affiliated with the Canes as a brand ambassador and used to be a part of the Storm Squad. I think he might be an unofficial part of the Canes Crew, wouldn't shock me if he's their coach or mentor or something.
He moves around to different seats and zones and stuff so I beleive it. I just thought he was a fan who had been there so long he basically had free reign of where to go

Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If true (and by that I mean if you heard right and it's the national Emmys and not a regional or sports Emmy, because I have no idea their policies), you should get a trophy in the mail.

One of my friends works in the trailer for CBS football broadcasts and their crew won an Emmy for Super Bowl 50. He got his trophy a few months later and keeps it in his apt. Pretty cool stuff.

Congrats!

I imagine it’s a sports Emmy. As much as I love the crew there, I don’t think the regional broadcast for a hockey team in Carolina is going to be making a Super Bowl-level splash.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I imagine it’s a sports Emmy. As much as I love the crew there, I don’t think the regional broadcast for a hockey team in Carolina is going to be making a Super Bowl-level splash.
Actually looks like the trophies are all the same, so if you all won and not just heard a nomination announcement, you'll get an Emmy trophy.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
LOL, that was actually kinda refreshing to watch after so many wins. A real "classic" Hurricanes loss- play an inferior team, outshoot them 3 to 1, give up 3 goals on 15 shots, lose.

:)
At least Koko Miami's goal is progress.

But I sometimes wonder about the revolving door Canes keep at D. Just how many trades have they made outside Slavin and Pesce in recent years, per year? Some other teams have, like, a somewhat stable D core? That's like an anathema to the Canes FO. While they must be looking for something to hold on to for at least a while. It just makes no sense to me. (No fear. Most of hockey does. All good!)

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
At least Koko Miami's goal is progress.

But I sometimes wonder about the revolving door Canes keep at D. Just how many trades have they made outside Slavin and Pesce in recent years, per year? Some other teams have, like, a somewhat stable D core? That's like an anathema to the Canes FO. While they must be looking for something to hold on to for at least a while. It just makes no sense to me. (No fear. Most of hockey does. All good!)
I’d be interested in seeing how many teams have 50% of their D intact from 2020 (Slavin, Pesce, Skjei.)

I expect most teams see similar turnover on their bottom pairing to Carolina, either moving players up to the top 4 or shuffling.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I’d be interested in seeing how many teams have 50% of their D intact from 2020 (Slavin, Pesce, Skjei.)

I expect most teams see similar turnover on their bottom pairing to Carolina, either moving players up to the top 4 or shuffling.
Many do. Some suffer for it. Canes have done a wonderful job. But it's been a bit of a whirlwind in the bottom 3 or 4. I've just not have seen the same amount of trading in most other similar quality teams. While they all do some, of course.

I mean trades, as in non-trivial trades, not just bringing people up from the minors. Just count 'em trades.

(The D corps looks fine. It's just funny how hard it is to keep track on it. Casual people like me. I never actually played hockey for a salary, I confess.)

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Bill Peters is smiling

This is Bill Peters smiling
875A7530-BB37-45F7-9F0F-68DBAFB6A160.jpeg

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Many do. Some suffer for it. Canes have done a wonderful job. But it's been a bit of a whirlwind in the bottom 3 or 4. I've just not have seen the same amount of trading in most other similar quality teams. While they all do some, of course.

I mean trades, as in non-trivial trades, not just bringing people up from the minors. Just count 'em trades.

(The D corps looks fine. It's just funny how hard it is to keep track on it. Casual people like me. I never actually played hockey for a salary, I confess.)
Every team has a whirlwind in the bottom pair. Because it's the bottom pair. You have a 23 year old rookie who is NHL ready? You play him on your bottom pair, and you let your UFA 30-something bottom pair guy go. The Canes are hardly any different from other teams in the league. Without doing the math, I'd argue anecdotally we actually have more top 4 stability than many other teams. Slavin, Pesce, Skjei have been in the same spots for years. It's been a churn to find a Hamilton long-term replacement, and it looks like we have that spot locked down for this year and the next two with Burns. I'd bet we'll re-sign Slavin and one of Pesce/Skjei, so we'll need to find another top 4 D in the next two years. It's possible that guy is Chatfield or Morrow, and it's possible we'll trade or go to free agency. Part of Brind'Amour's philsophy seems to me that he thinks the D plays better with stability, game in game out.

I was doing improv shows last night and didn't watch any of the game. But just to those who say we had a bunch of low-quality outside shots, that's not true. By my count, we had 26 shots in the slot (from the parts of the circles closest to goal to the goal), and the Ducks had 9. We also had a lot of outside shots too, but when you take 50+ shots the heatmap will look red everywhere. The average team takes about 30 shots a game. Imagine taking ALL of those shots from the slot, and that was basically our game last night.

Lastly, maybe I'm just an optimist, but I don't really care if we lose to the Ducks that much. I care 100% more if we beat playoff teams, and the Canes are really good at beating playoff teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad