Proposal: "If I'm the Edmonton Oilers, I'm calling every team asking for their crappy wingers for Mark Fayne."

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Quote by me. Take that, Friedman. I can play armchair GM too.

Simple enough. A trash for trash deal that could possibly benefit both parties or would likely be a complete nothing AHL deal. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who could use a change of scenery and would like another shot to stick in the NHL.

The Oilers have a weakness at RW and abundance of D in their farm system. Fayne is pretty redundant there. Although not completely useless as a depth option, he's a pretty unspectacular defenseman. He's got one year left at $3.6m, so I'm thinking a similar salary coming back. Could be valuable to a team looking for RD depth either at the NHL or AHL level.

Two possible options I've seen--both of whom cleared waivers earlier this year: Joe Colborne in Colorado at $2.5m and Matt Read in Philly at $3.5m. How do they sound? Are there any other potential options out there? Share your ideas. Get excited, people! Mark Fayne is on the block!!!

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
You're going to have to do one of the following:

1. Find a greater salary in the AHL (there isn't any I can think of).
2. Find a cheaper AHL salary that has more term
3. Retain a portion of the salary to make it work.
4. Give up a pick.

Reactions: snipes

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ehh truth be told I'd rather hang on to the depth defenceman.

The Oil's RW is a weakness, but it's not for a lack of bodies. Read would be another bottom 6 winger where you already have Kassian, Slepyshev, Pakarinen, Jokinen, Caggiula, Malone/Khaira competing for the spots.

If you're really wanting to dumpster dive for a RW, then go after a guy who can actually play in the top 6 and offer PAP or even Purcell a contract.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ehh truth be told I'd rather hang on to the depth defenceman.

The Oil's RW is a weakness, but it's not for a lack of bodies. Read would be another bottom 6 winger where you already have Kassian, Slepyshev, Pakarinen, Jokinen, Caggiula, Malone/Khaira competing for the spots.

If you're really wanting to dumpster dive for a RW, then go after a guy who can actually play in the top 6 and offer PAP or even Purcell a contract.
The substantial difference between those aforementioned players and the two I've mentioned is that only those two I've mentioned have actually produced at a reasonably substantial rate at some point in their careers. I'm all for 'upside' but from what we've seen from guys like Pakarinen, Slepyshev, Caggiula, etc...is that they really aren't much of a scoring threat at this point. I'd prefer taking a gamble on a veteran winger if the cost is low--even if they're ultimately waiver fodder over some of the depth guys currently sitting on our roster. Mark Fayne isn't doing much in Bakersfield and if you asked him, I'm pretty sure he'd like to make his way back into the NHL.

Purcell, PAP or Gionta could've been decent options but our contract limit is currently sitting at 49.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Quote by me. Take that, Friedman. I can play armchair GM too.

Simple enough. A trash for trash deal that could possibly benefit both parties or would likely be a complete nothing AHL deal. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there who could use a change of scenery and would like another shot to stick in the NHL.

The Oilers have a weakness at RW and abundance of D in their farm system. Fayne is pretty redundant there. Although not completely useless as a depth option, he's a pretty unspectacular defenseman. He's got one year left at $3.6m, so I'm thinking a similar salary coming back. Could be valuable to a team looking for RD depth either at the NHL or AHL level.

Two possible options I've seen--both of whom cleared waivers earlier this year: Joe Colborne in Colorado at $2.5m and Matt Read in Philly at $3.5m. How do they sound? Are there any other potential options out there? Share your ideas. Get excited, people! Mark Fayne is on the block!!!

If you are looking for a true "trash for trash" deal ask about Matt Moulson (but he's a LW).

The more interesting idea I've been thinking about is Kyle Okposo. Who is locked in for the next six years. He was good last year, but has had a rough start this year. Buffalo could retain salary and maybe through in a Justin Falk Dman. Edmonton should probably add futures.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you are looking for a true "trash for trash" deal ask about Matt Moulson (but he's a LW).

The more interesting idea I've been thinking about is Kyle Okposo. Who is locked in for the next six years. He was good last year, but has had a rough start this year. Buffalo could retain salary and maybe through in a Justin Falk Dman. Edmonton should probably add futures.
Edmonton would have no interest in adding a long-term deal, or even the extra year on Moulson's deal.

The reason I've mentioned Colborne and Read is because they're both impending UFAs. The idea of this is to move two or more players while having a minimal impact on the salary cap for either team. And yes, a small add of a prospect or a pick could be added in necessary scenarios.

Sure gladly give you Darren Helm for Mark Fayne. Helm or Abdelkader can go bye bye.

Again, term.

And Darren Helm.....ouch.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure of the cap implications of this deal, but I'd be willing to eat the difference in salary if the Leafs added Josh Leivo and the Oilers sent back an AHL player as a two for two deal. I just don't know if it'd be worth it from Toronto's perspective. Is Lupul's cap cleared via LTIR?

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
I'm not sure of the cap implications of this deal, but I'd be willing to eat the difference in salary if the Leafs added Josh Leivo and the Oilers sent back an AHL player as a two for two deal. I just don't know if it'd be worth it from Toronto's perspective. Is Lupul's cap cleared via LTIR?
Yup. He's also an expiring deal. I think fayne > polak and it opens up room for the leafs to make a move at the deadline.

Though adding leivo is a non starter for just fayne and bad prospects. Maybe soshnikov?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yup. He's also an expiring deal. I think fayne > polak and it opens up room for the leafs to make a move at the deadline.

Though adding leivo is a non starter for just fayne and bad prospects. Maybe soshnikov?
I'm pretty high on Leivo. I'd do the two for two and maybe add a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, leivo + lupul for fayne + 2nd I'd do.
It'd have to be a two for two--the Oilers would throw in someone like Platzer just to balance the contracts--and I'd haggle on the pick as well since we are adding about $2m in salary. But that's the kind of deal that could make some sense for both teams IMO.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I'm pretty high on Leivo. I'd do the two for two and maybe add a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
The Oilers haven't had a 2nd rd pick in what feels like ages. It cost us getting depth players at last years TDL by not having it, I doubt Chia will flip for someone like Lievo

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Benson pick was two years ago. I think what you're trying to say is we haven't developed a 2nd round pick in what seems like ages. Like I said, I'd haggle with them in that scenario because we're ultimately adding $2m in cap with that particular deal. But I think Leivo could be a worthy gamble. His productivity has been pretty consistent when he's had the opportunity to play. And I'm sure he'd be a whole lot happier in Yamamoto's spot at RW next to Connor, than in the pressbox at the ACC eating popcorn every night.

Lupul and Leivo for Fayne, Platzer and a 4th would be my counter. $2m is a lot of wiggle room for Toronto.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What is the point? Fayne's gone after this year anyways. Whatever you get for him doesn't make us better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad