If Hockey had a real World Cup, would that be the best way to grow the game?

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Just allow NHLers to play in the Olympics. It's the next best thing after a hockey World cup.

This, however it might fun to have some countries send their B teams to play, it could certainly add some depth and surprises upsets.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I think a big tourney organised by the IIHF in the winter would be a good thing. I would choose 24 Teams, with this amount of teams there will definitely be blow outs but nothing to crazy estonia or china would be able to hold canada with nhlers to only 10-11 zero with strict defense plays. A tournament like this could also attract a lot of casual or new fans around the world in my opinion especially in countries where the sport isn’t that big. I remember in the year 2018 when we played in the WC final, there were a lot of people that definitely had no clue about hockey, who were interested and watched the final. In my opinion hockey isn’t one of the most popular sports but many people who haven’t watched seem to like it and keep some interest in it. I recognized this a lot with friends of my when i visited a hockey game with them or watched on tv.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Every lower tier team would try to get Ukraine's and Belarus' lumberjack coaches of the late 90s, early 00s. Would be awful hockey. A best on best olympics with two tiers would be better.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Every lower tier team would try to get Ukraine's and Belarus' lumberjack coaches of the late 90s, early 00s. Would be awful hockey. A best on best olympics with two tiers would be better.

I saw this comment including Belarus and was like "I'd bet my life savings that this guy is Swedish."

Checks profile: "from Uppsala, Sweden"

2002 still hurts, huh? Lol

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I saw this comment including Belarus and was like "I'd bet my life savings that this guy is Swedish."

I am Finnish, 2002 Belarus played hockey.

I saw Finland get knocked out by Russia and thought I'd fall on hard times in school. Stayed up a little longer and saw Sweden's game and went to school with a smile :D

In the world champs Belarus were lumberjacking too.

Reactions: WaW

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Belarus is a low tier team, thats a fact. it has nothing to do with being swedish or not. If you think Belarus is some sort of top 6 team in hockey then you are deluded.

• Haha
Reactions: kudla

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
What a pipe dream. Hockey can't get equality amongst a dozen countries, let alone what you've suggested.

I honestly believe if hockey wants a reasonable world cup, then it needs to condense teams not add. The fact that only 6 or so teams can win, and with half of those teams being a very rare occurrence, does add to the competitiveness or excitement. Hockey isn't as big as other sports and is a strictly winter sport. It's also expensive to get started up. It's just not going to take off in countries that can't support its requirements.

I'd like to see a tourney/cup set up like:

Canada
USA
Russia
Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark)
Rest of Europe (Czech, Slovakia, Germany)

Then we'd see some stacked teams with some balance competition, rather than some poor countries with 3 NHL players get slaughtered by teams with the NHLs best.

Have each team play each other once and knock off the 5th place team. 1v4, 2v3 and winners go to the gold match, and loser's bronze.
Speaking of pipe dreams I would prefer a World League
with 8 Canadian national squads, 6 each for US, Russia, Sweden and Finland and 2 each Switzerland and Germany.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pretty sure Olympics would be the best way to grow the game.

How would World Cup grow the game? Only hockey fans even know about World Cup.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Does international hockey move the goalposts all that much? I don't think so. The best way to grow the game is to make it entertaining and accessible.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I am Finnish, 2002 Belarus played hockey.

I saw Finland get knocked out by Russia and thought I'd fall on hard times in school. Stayed up a little longer and saw Sweden's game and went to school with a smile :D

In the world champs Belarus were lumberjacking too.

Fair enough lol. Your point is valid then lol

Belarus is a low tier team, thats a fact. it has nothing to do with being swedish or not. If you think Belarus is some sort of top 6 team in hockey then you are deluded.
Yeah its almost as if absolutely no one is here arguing that Belarus was ever a top 6 team.

The strawman has a pretty hectic schedule all over the internet every single day. You should try giving him a break.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Do fans of sports like Cricket, Volleyball, Water Polo, Rugby, Lacrosse, spend so much thinking about how to grow the game?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Do fans of sports like Cricket, Volleyball, Water Polo, Rugby, Lacrosse, spend so much thinking about how to grow the game?
Those are summer sports that are:
A) not as expensive and
B) more accessible and easier to learn and play

Got legs that can run and hands that can catch or throw? Good to go. Not the same with ice hockey.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Canada USA Russia Finland Sweden Czech Slovaks Germany 8 teams best on best is what we need

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Everyone complains there are only 6 or 7 teams in hockey that can win a tournament like this...But I think there has only been 8 nations to ever win the FIFA World Cup. It just happens it is easier for countries to be okay at futbol than hockey given the entry for the population.

We should be marketing the game throughout the rich euro countries right now, and make a push to add hockey culture for the quickly developing nations in Asia next like Korea Japan Indonesia China

Reactions: Czechboy

member 305909

Everyone complains there are only 6 or 7 teams in hockey that can win a tournament like this...But I think there has only been 8 nations to ever win the FIFA World Cup. It just happens it is easier for countries to be okay at futbol than hockey given the entry for the population.

We should be marketing the game throughout the rich euro countries right now, and make a push to add hockey culture for the quickly developing nations in Asia next like Korea Japan Indonesia China
In football you can win the world cup or the euros but not even qualify for the next big tournament. There is so much harder competition. The two sports aren't even remotely comparable.

Hockey is comparable to a sport like rugby which also has only 5-6competitive countries.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
In football you can win the world cup or the euros but not even qualify for the next big tournament. There is so much harder competition. The two sports aren't even remotely comparable.

Hockey is comparable to a sport like rugby which also has only 5-6competitive countries.

Again only 8 countries have ever won the world cup so what you are saying isn't all that true....just means there are a lot more teams similar to the swiss/slovakia level in football than in hockey

Reactions: mattihp

member 305909

Again only 8 countries have ever won the world cup so what you are saying isn't all that true....just means there are a lot more teams similar to the swiss/slovakia level in football than in hockey
The world cup is only played once in four years and has been played 22 times. You can't really have a lot of winners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Put it this way. The capital of Canada Ottawa can't even sell out their arena. Hockey is not a particularly big sport. Until it becomes cheaper it will remain so. It's a rich white people sport always has always will be

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Those are summer sports that are:
A) not as expensive and
B) more accessible and easier to learn and play

Got legs that can run and hands that can catch or throw? Good to go. Not the same with ice hockey.
That does not answer my question.

However, I will play along. Unfortunately, there is no way to make it cheaper. Building and Maintaining ice rinks is expensive. Equipment is expensive (as is equipment for all sports). I am 47, I remember when I was 10 my dad bought me a baseball bat that cost $17 and my mother yelled at him for spending so much. Now, bats cost $300-400 easily. Unless you want the government to start funding hockey programs there is not too many ways to make it cheaper. NHL teams have Learn-to-Play programs, my daughter started in Rangers learn to play. First session was 10 weeks, cost $295 and included head-to-toe equipment. All I had to buy was hockey tape. Her 2nd session, Stephane Matteau was coaching. Brian Mullen came to another. Over MLK weekend we were at a tourney outside Philly. Before one of her games, there was a Jr Flyers Learn-to-Play program. Todd Fedoruk was there coaching. Now, she is goalie and if you do your HW you can find great deals on used gear.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad