Proposal: If Edmonton offered to trade McDavid to Chicago for Bedard++ Does Chicago accept, or do they keep Bedard?

If Edmonton offered McDavid to Chicago for Bedard++ - does Chicago say yes? Or do they keep Bedard?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is just for a fun hyptohetical, and only looking at it from Chicago's perspective, and whether they would say yes, or no if Edmonton made the offer.

1. I don't think there's any chance Edmonton ever does offer McDavid up, so it's just a hypothetical. This poll is asking if they did, how does Chicago react? You can comment on how unlikely you think this would be for Edmonton to do so if you want, but i'm specifically asking about Chicago here, assuming Edmonton is the one offering. Does Chicago say yes, because McDavid is McDavid? Do they say no, because they need to rebuild completely and Bedard is much younger (and should also be great)?

2. The "++" is open to interpretation. In a vaccuum McDavid is worth more than Bedard for trade value (a few people might disagree). So assume Chicago adds to balance out the trade. Whether it's prospects, or some picks, maybe even unprotected 1st round picks, or a combo...just assume that they add. You can comment on what you think the add would be - but try to focus a bit less on that. Bedard is by far the center piece of trade from Chicago's perspective, and I'm curious if Chicago would forego an 18 year old Bedard to land McDavid today.

I added 3 poll options - but I'd rather people vote option 1 or 2, and try to ignore what the "add" for Mcdavid would be. But if you can't get past not knowing what it would be, you can vote option 3 if you prefer.

Connor Bedard is a generational prospect, I think he's probably earned that desgination. But there's no guarantee he'll be as good as McDavid or Crosby - maybe not even close. Daige failed miseably and was probably close to generational prospect too. More recently, Lafreniere heavily touted #1OA has stumbled a lot. What if Bedard isn't that good, does Chicago really risk passing on McDavid for a prospect? But on the other hand - Mcdavid is already 26 years old. Chicago's team absolutely sucks - they're not ready to win/contend anytime soon, even with McDavid. Rebuilding alongside Bedard for a few years fits their window better, as opposed to sucking for 2-3 years with McDavid until he's old/declines, or is up for UFA again.

What does Chicago do?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
McDavid is nearly 27 years old and will be exiting his peak (although he'll still be a 120-130+ point producer for at least 4 more years). Bedard could give them that level of production from 20-28 so there's more bang for your buck. Plus, it'll take 3 years or so for Chicago to even be a playoff performer so McDavid's prime will be wasted. Chicago should play the long term game.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Chicago needs to rebuild their entire core. It would make no sense to trade any of their top prospects, it won't get them a cup anyway.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
What does McDavid do for Chicago in this scenario?
He's the best player in the NHL, playing with the 2nd (or 3rd) best player in the NHL and can't get anything done.
What's chicago going to get out of 3yrs of McDavid with an AHL roster?
Sure they could piss away their 29m (after this trade) on UFA, but none of the UFA's this year are any good.

And on top of that they're giving additional assets to Edmonton, which just further hampers their ability to add to the 3 McDavid years.

I don't think it's a question of is McDavid better than Bedard, it's obvious what the answer there is. I don't even think Bedard will ever be at McDavid's level, but you still say no in this scenario, Chicago isn't McDavid away from making the PO let alone contending. All it does is throw them into purgatory of not being bad enough to make meaningful improvement with picks, and not good enough to win anything.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Even if this was the right hockey decision for Chicago, and it’s absolutely not, they’re not trading the kid who sold $5mill+ in seasons tickets over 24 hours for anything.

Edmonton would have to add, honestly. Not because Bedard us better than McDavid, obviously, but simply because it makes neither hockey sense nor marketing sense at this point in their rebuild timeline.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Surprised a lot of people saying yes, this makes no sense fore chicago tbh

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is just for a fun hyptohetical, and only looking at it from Chicago's perspective, and whether they would say yes, or no if Edmonton made the offer.

1. I don't think there's any chance Edmonton ever does offer McDavid up, so it's just a hypothetical. This poll is asking if they did, how does Chicago react? You can comment on how unlikely you think this would be for Edmonton to do so if you want, but i'm specifically asking about Chicago here, assuming Edmonton is the one offering. Does Chicago say yes, because McDavid is McDavid? Do they say no, because they need to rebuild completely and Bedard is much younger (and should also be great)?

2. The "++" is open to interpretation. In a vaccuum McDavid is worth more than Bedard for trade value (a few people might disagree). So assume Chicago adds to balance out the trade. Whether it's prospects, or some picks, maybe even unprotected 1st round picks, or a combo...just assume that they add. You can comment on what you think the add would be - but try to focus a bit less on that. Bedard is by far the center piece of trade from Chicago's perspective, and I'm curious if Chicago would forego an 18 year old Bedard to land McDavid today.

I added 3 poll options - but I'd rather people vote option 1 or 2, and try to ignore what the "add" for Mcdavid would be. But if you can't get past not knowing what it would be, you can vote option 3 if you prefer.

Connor Bedard is a generational prospect, I think he's probably earned that desgination. But there's no guarantee he'll be as good as McDavid or Crosby - maybe not even close. Daige failed miseably and was probably close to generational prospect too. More recently, Lafreniere heavily touted #1OA has stumbled a lot. What if Bedard isn't that good, does Chicago really risk passing on McDavid for a prospect? But on the other hand - Mcdavid is already 26 years old. Chicago's team absolutely sucks - they're not ready to win/contend anytime soon, even with McDavid. Rebuilding alongside Bedard for a few years fits their window better, as opposed to sucking for 2-3 years with McDavid until he's old/declines, or is up for UFA again.

What does Chicago do?

It's not a good trade for either team. Edmonton is building something with McDavid, no need to mess it up.

Chicago is years away from competing. McDavid would bolt as a UFA rather than go through a rebuild.

What does McDavid do for Chicago in this scenario?
He's the best player in the NHL, playing with the 2nd (or 3rd) best player in the NHL and can't get anything done.
What's chicago going to get out of 3yrs of McDavid with an AHL roster?
Sure they could piss away their 29m (after this trade) on UFA, but none of the UFA's this year are any good.

And on top of that they're giving additional assets to Edmonton, which just further hampers their ability to add to the 3 McDavid years.

I don't think it's a question of is McDavid better than Bedard, it's obvious what the answer there is. I don't even think Bedard will ever be at McDavid's level, but you still say no in this scenario, Chicago isn't McDavid away from making the PO let alone contending. All it does is throw them into purgatory of not being bad enough to make meaningful improvement with picks, and not good enough to win anything.

It's not McDavid that can't get anything done. It's shitty management that can't build a good supporting cast. 5M a year on a long term deal for Jack Campbell??? Taylor Hall for Larsson??? Yakupov, Puljuarvi?? The Nurse cap hit??

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Even if this was the right hockey decision for Chicago, and it’s absolutely not, they’re not trading the kid who sold $5mill+ in seasons tickets over 24 hours for anything.

Edmonton would have to add, honestly. Not because Bedard us better than McDavid, obviously, but simply because it makes neither hockey sense nor marketing sense at this point in their rebuild timeline.
Marketability-wise - McDavid >> Bedard

If Bedard can sell tickets or season tickets, McDavid would sell even more. At the absolute worst, you can maybe say it's a wash, but I don't think it is.

One of the reasons Chicago might entertain such a trade is probably precisely due to this factor, if their owners think they can milk a ton of money by McDavid in a Blackhawk uniform, even if it might be hard to win a cup with him.

It's not McDavid that can't get anything done. It's shitty management that can't build a good supporting cast. 5M a year on a long term deal for Jack Campbell??? Taylor Hall for Larsson??? Yakupov, Puljuarvi?? The Nurse cap hit??

I agree with this. That's another reason Chicago might do this trade. Maybe they just believe Edmonton has royally messed up managing the roster around McDavid, and are confident that getting a peak/prime McDavid for a few years is a big enough trump card, that they are confident they can retool into a top contender with him quickly. Just because Edmonton can't build around McDavid, doesn't mean they wouldn't do a much better job.

It's probably tough with how badly Chicago tanked this year - but I suppose crazier things have happened.

Reactions: 26Mats

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Marketability-wise - McDavid >> Bedard

If Bedard can sell tickets or season tickets, McDavid would sell even more. At the absolute worst, you can maybe say it's a wash, but I don't think it is.

One of the reasons Chicago might entertain such a trade is probably precisely due to this factor, if their owners think they can milk a ton of money by McDavid in a Blackhawk uniform, even if it might be hard to win a cup with him.

McDavid is 27 years old with 3 years left on his deal. The Blackhawks spent the last two years selling their fans on a rebuild, taking a left turn with ‘Surprise! We have the best player in the league but we’ll still be trash and then he’ll leave’ is not the marketing win you think it is within the context.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The issue with proposals of trading McDavid is that the other team would need to gut their team to make it work. And Chicago would need to gut a latrine to try to make it work and that's just nonsensical.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Mcdavid is 27 next year in his 9th year a grizzled vet. The hawks don't have the pieces needed to take advantage of mcdavid in his latter prime years. Easily the keep bedard and build around him

Reactions: Video Nasty

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Mcdavid is 27 next year in his 9th year a grizzled vet. The hawks don't have the pieces needed to take advantage of mcdavid in his latter prime years. Easily the keep bedard and build around him

Summed it up perfectly. McDavid is the only player I would consider trading Bedard for and the only way I could consider doing it is if the team I had was built to win now…but if it were, then I wouldn’t have the #1 pick to begin with.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Surprised a lot of people saying yes, this makes no sense fore chicago tbh
Dunno..what if Bedard is a bust or not as impactful as people expect ?

You’re guaranteed elite scoring from McDavid plus millions in profit from merch, tickets, TV deals.

I personally would consider it

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Too close to UFA, Chicago likely has Bedard for 11 years (3 year ELC + 8-year max extension as RFA)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I can't believe McDavid turns 27 already next season in January... My god

I swear Covid totally erased 2 years of life

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Edmonton needs to add substantially if they want Bedard. McDavid is obviously better right now, but Chicago aren't ready to win anyway and when they will be Bedard is the much better choice. McDavid can take a team-friendly deal as UFA if he wants to come on board at that point.

• Haha
Reactions: Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Edmonton needs to add substantially if they want Bedard. McDavid is obviously better right now, but Chicago aren't ready to win anyway and when they will be Bedard is the much better choice. McDavid can take a team-friendly deal as UFA if he wants to come on board at that point.

Come on now, neither team would be willing to trade places in the competitive cycle and both would be completely within reason. Don't frame it like a one sided rejection. That's disingenuous.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Come on now, neither team would be willing to trade places in the competitive cycle and both would be completely within reason. Don't frame it like a one sided rejection. That's disingenuous.
With Bedard any team including the Oilers would have a brighter future as there's plenty of time to put together a winning team. With McDavid they have three more chances left, after that they have no pieces for a rebuild.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
If McDavid just signed an 8 year extension maybe Chicago considers it. Otherwise it’s not even worth thinking about.

Bedard’s development will coincide with the rest of the franchise’s development, which is huge for the Hawks because they have a lot of cap space and a lot of draft picks to build their team around. Adding McDavid right now and giving up Bedard and more picks would hinder the team’s rebuild and probably make them mediocre for a few years before McDavid leaves. And then they’re stuck in a much longer rebuild with fewer assets than they do now.

You take Bedard and build your identity around him for the next decade+.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
There's value to having ELC cap hit for a star that can't be matched by a vet. McDavid is a generational talent, but he'll make $11.5M+ more than Bedard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad