If Edmonton doesn't make the SCF this year, is the departure of either McDavid or Draisaitl inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I mean, neither are in their contract year and are signed for 1-2 more years between them. If they blank the next few years then I would say maybe. I could see Draisaitl moving on but I would say it would be 50/50 for McDavid.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi and Romang67

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Yes. They will trade Dries to OTT for Brady (plus other pieces to even it out) if they don't make it far, and Dries will re-sign since he'll get to play with his fellow German friend in Stutz.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Kelly

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think if Edmonton doesn't win the Pacific bracket it might be the biggest chokejob of the McDavid era. Worse than them getting swept by Winnipeg and Colorado.

Their bracket is Vancouver, LA and Nashville. Two of those three teams missed the playoffs last year, the other the Oilers beat 2x in a row.

I don't know if Drai leaves though because I imagine Edmonton will pay him more than anyone else would.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I think if Edmonton doesn't win the Pacific bracket it might be the biggest chokejob of the McDavid era. Worse than them getting swept by Winnipeg and Colorado.

Their bracket is Vancouver, LA and Nashville. Two of those three teams missed the playoffs last year, the other the Oilers beat 2x in a row.

I don't know if Drai leaves though because I imagine Edmonton will pay him more than anyone else would.

Sure but both are very good teams THIS year, which is what actually matters. Vegas missed the playoffs the year before they won the Cup as well, didn't make them any less of a team.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sure but both are very good teams THIS year, which is what actually matters. Vegas missed the playoffs the year before they won the Cup as well, didn't make them any less of a team.

I think this version of the Kings is the weakest Kings team. They were a Chicago last minute puck over the glass penalty away from being an 8th seed.

The PLD trade set them back. I imagine most Kings fans would reverse that trade if given the chance.

Their goalies are a 36 year old Cam Talbot that they signed as a UFA for 1M and David Rittich who they signed as a UFA for 875K.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I think this version of the Kings is the weakest Kings team. They were a Chicago last minute puck over the glass penalty away from being an 8th seed.

The PLD trade set them back. I imagine most Kings fans would reverse that trade if given the chance.

Their goalies are a 36 year old Cam Talbot that they signed as a UFA for 1M and David Rittich who they signed as a UFA for 875K.
This is all pretty true.

Reactions: bretpatrick7

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

Their goalies are a 36 year old Cam Talbot and David Rittich.

I think they are pretty much about the same as the last 2 years. Most expected a jump from them this year and it didn't happen. I agree with you on the PLD trade and I think that's the thoughts from most on it as well. Talbot and Rittich aren't a scary duo, however they did finish 3rd in GA in the entire league, so they don't need anything special from their goaltending.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think they are pretty much about the same as the last 2 years. Most expected a jump from them this year and it didn't happen. I agree with you on the PLD trade and I think that's the thoughts from most on it as well. Talbot and Rittich aren't a scary duo, however they did finish 3rd in GA in the entire league, so they don't need anything special from their goaltending.

You got to admit it's a pretty favorable bracket. The defending champs are now in the other division.

Here - just based on points this season:

Vancouver has the lowest point total of any divisional winner this year.
Edmonton has the lowest point total of any divisional second seed this year.
LA has the second worst point total of any divisional third seed this year.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Don't see Drai leaving, the only one I could see going is McDavid back home to Toronto, especially with the fact that Friedman dropped a report a few years back that the Leafs are operating with the intention of leaving a boat load of cap space the year McDavid is a UFA, but even that is a long shot.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Don't see Drai leaving, the only one I could see going is McDavid back home to Toronto, especially with the fact that Friedman dropped a report a few years back that the Leafs are operating with the intention of leaving a boat load of cap space the year McDavid is a UFA, but even that is a long shot.
If McDavid doesn't win a Stanley Cup in Edmonton, his one and only desire as a free-agent will be to go wherever he thinks there is a very good chance of winning.

Somehow, a club that hasn't won three rounds since 1932 probably isn't going to be his first choice.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yes, it'll be an embarrassment if they can't make the west finals this year and if that happens I think mcdavid, especially drais see the writing on the wall and will want out asap.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They have a decent enough team this year.

At some point - you just gotta win. You can't let others win for you. I don't think they're going anywhere.

Also - they're my pick to win the cup this year

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
How many more years can they withstand futility without a drastic change?

p.s. Oilers fans, don't get mad at this thread. Consider it an anti-jinx in your team's favor.

The fact they are no facing vegas in the first round is a bounces. It is not so much about cup finals but going beyond the first round. If they get by LAK I can see them making the conference finals.

And just to be the devils advocate. We could have a thread on whether or not Matthews will want out of TO if the leafs do not make the final this year.

If they were playing Vegas in the first round? Oiler would be on the golf course first week of may

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The only way they depart Oilers is through free agency (if they don't want to stay in Edmonton)
impossible to trade, Oilers would be asking too much and nobody could pay the value

McDavid is signed until 2026
Draisaitl until 2025.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Of course not. I expect them to throw a lot of money at both of them when the hit FA, and as Wyshynski likes to say "NHL players don't like to move their stuff".

The only trade I could foresee is Draisatl at next year's trade deadline if the Oilers are out of the playoff race, which is unlikely.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad