If Dave Nonis could only re-sign Jay McClement or Dave Bolland who would you pick?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully Dave Nonis is able to re-sign both Jay McClement and Dave Bolland before both are set to become UFA's. However for some reason let's say he is only able to re-sign just one of them. Between Bolland and McClement who is the more important to re-sign and you would be ok if the other one signed somewhere else.

The play of McClement on the Leafs penalty kill speaks for itself and he is the major reason why it improved last season.

However Bolland has the Stanley Cup Final experience and already this season he has scored some key goals, like his two against the Flyers and the overtime goal against Edmonton.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Hopefully Dave Nonis is able to re-sign both Jay McClement and Dave Bolland before both are set to become UFA's. However for some reason let's say he is only able to re-sign just one of them. Between Bolland and McClement who is the more important to re-sign and you would be ok if the other one signed somewhere else.

The play of McClement on the Leafs penalty kill speaks for itself and he is the major reason why it improved last season.

However Bolland has the Stanley Cup Final experience and already this season he has scored some key goals, like his two against the Flyers and the overtime goal against Edmonton.

Given your question in the thread title, the third poll option doesn't seem to make sense.

That said, this is a tough one but if I had to choose I would pick Bolland. He brings more offensive capability and experience than I feel McClement does even though his defensive game is elite.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The raises to current Leafs has already made keeping both McClement and Bolland more difficult.

With cap dollars in short order it would be McClement that would have the smaller contract and the easier player to fit within the cap system. He is also the key to the PK so he is more important than Bolland as "Defense wins Championships".

Priorities
1) Both
2) McClement
3) Bolland
4) Neither

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
McClement hands down.

My biggest fear is seing Bolland and Raymond given multi-million multi-year deals. That said, dumping Colborne may make keeping Bolland more of a necessity but of the original question, McClement.

leafstilldeath*

Keep both, get rid of Bozak. Zero use for the team.

:yo::yo::yo:

Seconded!

Both Bolland and McClement are important players for the Leafs. Bozak should be traded for a top 6 C now that we have both Bolland and McClement occupiung 3C and 4C with Smith as an additional C if required.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is why Kulemin won't be back, IMO. It'll come down to 2 of those 3 and I'd definetly rather Bolland+McClem than Kulie+Bolland or Kulie+McClem

Kessel's new big raise may have cost the Leafs either Kulemin or Bolland for cap reasons.

McClement at $2-$2.5 mil with his new raise will likely still be able to be accommodated in the teams salary cap.

If Nonis can remove that boat anchor JM Liles off the team without retaining significant salary he might be able to save losing someone else for cap reasons.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
shouldn't we entertain the idea that McClement or Bolland (or both) will take a discount to remain here? Didn't Bolland take a cut to stay in Chicago? didn't McClement leave money on the table to come to Toronto? So even if they get raises - it might not be to the detriment of the club.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I`m worried that we may be too close to the cap to keep either player with the contracts being given out to our high profile players. Kessel at 8M, Phaneuf at God only knows, Lupul and Clarkson both >5M etc.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
McClement could command up to 3 million per year.

Do you think I'm crazy for saying that? Yea, maybe a bit. But pretend you are McClement's agent for 2 minutes. This is what I would do if I was him.

Look at comparables. Last off-season the Oilers gave a 3 year, 9 million dollar contract to Boyd Gordon. In a similar role, similar age and a similar style of play, he could be used as a guy that is negotiated around. He is also very valuable to a team and that will be stated that he gets tons of penalty kill time (likely to be tops in the league again for forwards).

Hopefully McClement could take a home town discount, but if it comes down to it, I take Bolland if I have to choose 1. Bolland could serve as a 1st line centreman in a pinch, which is something that I don't think McClement could do. I would also say that Bolland is capable of killing penalties, not to the extent of McClement, but he's one of the top penalty killers on the team. So for the sake of choosing 1, Bolland takes it based on versatility to the team.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I would MUCH rather keep Bolland over McClemant. Bolland can actually provide some offense and being a pest while still being a defensive player and someone that can PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad