If Crosby played in the 80s, 90s

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Pretend if Crosby played in the 80s, 90s and he was born in 1965. So in that era would Crosby be the clear cut 3rd best player behind Lemieux and Gretzky? If the answer is No who is better than Crosby or close to Crosby in the 80s/90s?

If Crosby played in the 80s/90s. I think it's fair to say he probably won't have anywhere close to awards/all star teams he has right now. Crosby is the best player for the last 10 years if you look at his whole career but if you look at season by season a lot of times he is not the best player. He only has 2 Hart and Ross out of 8 healthy seasons. So would people still think he is top 5 to top 10 player of all time if he played in 80s/90s?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes, he would be the clear cut 3rd best player in the 80s and 90s. He would basically be an equivalent player talent wise to Jagr.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He'd be the 3rd best after Gretzky and Lemieux. I guess Messier, Bourque and Roy all could potentially be the guys ahead of him.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He'd still be somewhere around 11-15 for me.

The reason why I asked this question because if you play in the same era as Gretzky and Lemieux it might impact your legacy once it's all said and done. Take a look at Yzermen. If there was no Gretzky and Lemieux around. Yzermen would won the hart In 1988 and 1989. Also Ross in 1989 and probably another Pearson.. So Yzermen legacy would of been greater.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The reason why I asked this question because if you play in the same era as Gretzky and Lemieux it might impact your legacy once it's all said and done. Take a look at Yzermen. If there was no Gretzky and Lemieux around. Yzermen would won the hart In 1988 and 1989. Also Ross in 1989 and probably another Pearson.. So Yzermen legacy would of been greater.

Yzerman would have won the Hart once. 87-88 Fuhr was 2nd in voting behind Gretzky and would have won over Lemieux and Yzerman.

Your point still stands, outliers like Gretzky and Lemieux happening so close to each other will definitely stifle the award cabinets for other players in their position. Was it Messier who finished directly behind Mario and Wayne in points twice twice? Selanne also finished behind Mario once. A lot of other guys too, but thise cane quickly to mind.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Pretend if Crosby played in the 80s, 90s and he was born in 1965. So in that era would Crosby be the clear cut 3rd best player behind Lemieux and Gretzky? If the answer is No who is better than Crosby or close to Crosby in the 80s/90s?

If Crosby played in the 80s/90s. I think it's fair to say he probably won't have anywhere close to awards/all star teams he has right now. Crosby is the best player for the last 10 years if you look at his whole career but if you look at season by season a lot of times he is not the best player. He only has 2 Hart and Ross out of 8 healthy seasons. So would people still think he is top 5 to top 10 player of all time if he played in 80s/90s?

It's not too hard to look at a player's career in a vacuum unless you have an agenda. You can play the "if he played in the 80s and 90s" card with other Top 10 players and argue they would be rated lower all-time.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I can easy counter this argument that he wouldn't be as highly rated by saying that playing in those eras he would be better and put up more points. Goalies weren't as good and did not have the equipment as they do now, coaching and video wouldn't make him easier to exam and defend, the list goes on. You will never be able to account for everything to do a fair comparison.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal

He would never win an Art Ross in that era. Jagr is clearly better than him and he would never survive the roughness of the 90s.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He'd be the 3rd best player but his legacy would be impacted in a huge way. Not just because of the awards he'd lose, but because he wouldn't be close to Gretzky/Lemieux in pts so he'd quickly be brushed aside in regards to this "top 5-10" all time talk.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
He'd be the 3rd best player but his legacy would be impacted in a huge way. Not just because of the awards he'd lose, but because he wouldn't be close to Gretzky/Lemieux in pts so he'd quickly be brushed aside in regards to this "top 5-10" all time talk.
How? Jagr is top ten all time and is comparable to Crosby.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016

If you put today's Crosby into the 80's and 90's he would have just dominated. Would have put up 150-200 points a season. Would have been close or on par with Mario.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
If you put today's Crosby into the 80's and 90's he would have just dominated. Would have put up 150-200 points a season. Would have been close or on par with Mario.

Did you have the opportunity to watch Mario play in his prime years?
I highly doubt that Crosby would be in Mario's tier in regards to offensive talent and production. However, I believe that Crosby and Jagr are more comparable in that regard.
The advantage that Crosby possesses is his superior leadership and 200 foot game.
In the 80s and early 90s I would assume that statistical prediction models would grant Crosby 130-160 points per year. However, he is not comparable to Mario in terms of purely offensive talent.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Can we put relevant thread titles and not "Crosby", this is clickbait and i will not stand for it

#banclickbait2017

Last edited by a moderator:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

People have no problem in ranking players like Yzerman, Bossy and Trottier appropriately despite not winning more awards.

It's ridiculous to actually think this would matter.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Doesn't seem to have affected guys like Messier, Trottier, Yzerman, etc. when discussions of all-time greats comes up, even though they played during that era.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Rocket Richard and Jean Belliveau have 1 Art Ross between them and they are regarded as Top 10 players by many.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
People have no problem in ranking players like Yzerman, Bossy and Trottier appropriately despite not winning more awards.

It's ridiculous to actually think this would matter.

When have any of those guys ever come up in 5-10 all time discussions? Never.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad