If Brent Burns wins the Art Ross will Joe Thornton be seen as the best "mentor" ever?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Since Joe Thornton got traded to San Jose he has done some incredible things. I've never seen any guy get as much out of mediocre players as Joe before. It's mind boggling what he's done with guys like Cheechoo, Marleau and Burns over the years.

When he arrived in San Jose he turned Cheechoo into a Rocket Winner in his first year and if it wasn't for Cheechoo getting a career ending injury, Thornton would've made him go down as one of the best goal scorers of this generation.

Before Thornton came to San Jose Marleau had never hit 30 goals or 60 Points. But Thornton took him under his wing and showed him the way and now Marleau has 7 30 goal seasons and 7 60 Point seasons. And Marleau also hit 500 career goals this season, something that he would've never done without Thornton. When it's all said and done there's a very good chance that Thornton will drag Marleau into the Hall of fame one day!

And just look at Burns. The guy was an outcast and never really found any success playing multiple years in Minnesota. And he wasn't all that great in his first few seasons in San Jose either. But then he and Joe started to hang out a lot during the 2014-15 season. Joe saw the potential in Burns and even started to grow a beard to make Burns feel more at home. Burns has now hit 60 Points 3 times and 25 goals twice after this. Remember that Burns played a full 10 seasons Before this were he was pretty mediocre. And there's a chance Burns might win the Art Ross this season, which would make Joe just the second player to center a defenseman to the Art Ross. And I'm not sure we should count Esposito since Orr was generational.

So with all this in mind would Thornton be the best mentor ever in hockey if Burns wins the Art Ross? Has anybody else come close to getting this much out of mediocre players before?

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It was actually Tomas Hertl that did it. When Hertl showed up you can see how he helped Burns take his game to the next level.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not sure all of that can be attributed to Thornton, but he definitely seems like a good leader

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
No. With that said, Thornton is a good leader and mentor to younger players.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Not sure all of that can be attributed to Thornton, but he definitely seems like a good leader

You can't argue with facts. There's no trade that has had such a positive impact on a team and it's players as the Sharks trading for Thornton. He's been rock solid for almost 12 seasons now.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
How is Burns' success tied to Thornton? How exactly has he 'mentored' him?

You aren't making any sense.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Burns was drafted as a right winger and has played some forward throughout the years.

Perhaps the guy who mentored him as a defenseman should get some of the praise.... But I guess that was Thornton?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Burns was drafted as a right winger and has played some forward throughout the years.

Perhaps the guy who mentored him as a defenseman should get some of the praise.... But I guess that was Thornton?

But burns was never good this offensively until he had a season and a bit playing on the same line as thornton.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Stupid beard mentor, maybe. They've both taken their "I live in an abandoned phone booth" look to the next level. So yes, in terms of being phenomenally wealthy, but looking like a complete vagabond, yes, he's the best ever at that. They both look completely ridiculous, but somehow I think Burns is actually the mentor in this relationship. He's a wack job and would have been no matter who he suited up for.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lemieux is generally cited as a mentor to both Crosby and Jagr, two guys who will go down as top 20 players of all time. Beliveau was viewed as the mentor for most of the young players that became the 1970's dynasty Habs (LaFleur, Lemaire, etc). Joe Thornton while helping others become elite players for periods of time, doesn't have that type of legacy.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I look forward to any arguments to the contrary.

What about Larry Robinson, he used to be an assistant coach with the Sharks, I'm sure he had an influence on Burns too.

Robinson_Larry_1.jpg

That's maybe a week of mentoring, tops. Burns would have outgrown him by then.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Good mentor? Yes. With respect to Brent Burns? Really hard case to make, as Burns had already been an All-Star with Minnesota.

There's something that Pavelski and Burns have mentioned about working with Thornton and Marleau is that they've learned the necessity of good conditioning and off ice habits to keep performing well on the ice as they get older. I mean, it's pretty absurd to have guys in SJ regularly have career years in their 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad