If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
They need legit top two centers, a legit #2 D, and a winger to compliment Pastrnak. At minimum.

They have some good pieces. Nothing great.

They might squeak into the playoffs consistently. But they are no longer elite.

They also need guys like McAvoy & Pastrnak to start playing up to their full capabilities in the postseason.
Is Lindholm not a legit #2?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bruins could sign Lindholm and trade for PLD. It’s risky but the reward could be two top centres. Retool complete.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Minus Marchand who should retire a Bruin, there are 3 Bruins who i wouldn't trade (Pasta, Swayman and maybe McAvoy). The rest of the team I would make available for the right price. I wouldn't sell everyone for draft picks rather NHL players. A trade like Middlestat for Byram is what I would be looking at. Try to get a young center with upside who could be a 1 or 2C.

Not sure what the official definition of blowing it up is but having everyone available minus 2 or 3 guys may or may not qualify for "blowing it up".

My biggest fear for the Bruins is giving a guy like Lindholm and huge contract and he doesn't revert to the player he once was and the Bruins then have an 7 year boat anchor. Personally I think he is going to get the biggest over payment in FA because there are so many teams who need a top center. I wouldn't want to be the team that pays him 7 or 8 million a year which I think some idiot GM is going to give him.
Lohrei is also untouchable. More than McAvoy at this point IMO

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They won't be a contender again until they find a true #1 D like Chara was for them. McAvoy is the Marner of defense. Great regular season player, can't be relied on once the playoffs start. Was the worst Bruin on the ice in the Leafs series as well.

Trade McAvoy for a top 30 C, sign Lindholm and then trade the farm + Ullmark for the best dman you can get.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Finding a 1C is going to be tough, but nobody should forget the Poitras is coming back. He's not the solution, but that could be a top 6 C that they need. Coyle and Zacha can cover the 2C and 3C roles.

At least a retool needs to take place. Ullmark will help with that. Keeping him would be a detriment to that. The additional cap space will help too. Pending the rest of this series, I can see Edmonton wanting him badly.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
At least a retool needs to take place. Ullmark will help with that. Keeping him would be a detriment to that. The additional cap space will help too. Pending the rest of this series, I can see Edmonton wanting him badly.
Carolina might also be looking at Ullmark. Not sure the Bruins would want him to go to another eastern team though. It depends on who gives the best return

Reactions: JimmyG89

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Carolina might also be looking at Ullmark. Not sure the Bruins would want him to go to another eastern team though. It depends on who gives the best return
I thought they might as well, but they still have Andersen for another year and let Kochetkov take the reigns. Devils might be the spot too.

Reactions: BB79

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What's to blow up?

Trade Marchand, Pastrnak, Swayman or McAvoy... nope.

This was supposed to be a transition year and it is.

Bunch of cap space next year, good young core developing, they're killing the retool.
Im more impressed they’ve been able to transition on the fly as their young talent have really stepped in and grown and matured so fast. Any team would kill to have that much young talent improve so quickly. Lol

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
What is there to blow up ? What is there to sell ? It is just a band of older mid players that criminally over achieve

We doing the old thing again? They have 4 players over 30 signed next season. 2 of them (lindholm and Ulmark) are 30. Coyle their second oldest is 32.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
No. They're in a position to retool and strengthen. Montgomery sees the needs, if they can be filled, next year will be even better than this one.

Reactions: Czechboy

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The Bruins were supposed to be a bubble team this year, instead they overachieved and got bounced from the second round in 6 against a very good Florida team. This calls for a blow up why? Plus they kind of already did 'blow it up' by losing their old guard over the last few seasons, they just didn't have to bottom out to transition from the Chara/Bergeron/Krejci/Rask teams.

C is a major question, but if they keep staying in the mix it's worth seeing how that position shakes out over the next couple of seasons. Do they get a Lindholm and he is the 70 pt two-way C that's been so standard on this roster for years? Does Draisaitl indicate he's going to price him self out of Edmonton, because these two teams seem perfect mirrors of one another and natural trade partners. Maybe Poitras come back next year and still look like a legit 2 C?

The NHL isn't EAs NHL. Purposely getting bad rarely pays off.

And lastly: To blow it up, I assume that means trading guys like Pasta & MacAvoy. These are home grown players recently signed to long term contracts. If we can get them to wave NTCs and move them, how's that impact future contract negotiations with other players? I can't see it sitting well with the majority of players, and it might break that tradition of reasonable contracts the Bs have benefitted from for years. Loyalty often begets loyalty, and the Bruins org has proven to be loyal to their players (even to our detriment) for years.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Agree with half the posters.. B's are in a great spot and don't need to blow up anything. Use Ullmark to get assets, use your cap space to add players you need. They are in great shape with G, F and D. A legit 1C is the big need in my eyes.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Bruins need a 1C and to toughen up their Dmen. We have too many PMD/ TWD. Forbert is garbage, Peeke is and unknown but looks good, and wotherspoon is a AHL defenseman.

Carlo and Lindholm are soft, so can't expect much physicality out of them, leaving Mac, which he was his own worst enemy this year. They need to rebuild their D-core desperately, Florida and even Toronto exposed how soft they are in their own corners and behind the net.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bruins have a 1A goalie, a Franchise Winger and a top five dman, there is literally no reason to blow it up. Its a bridge year, have money to spend to sign swayman and upgrade the forward group. lots of good FA options and the D is set for next year and signed. Trade Ullmark for picks or a young player and you are cooking. Add in Poitras and Lohrei as two rookies who took big steps this year, dont expect Boston to fall off a cliff.
McAvoy is not a top 5 Dman.

Reactions: sanscosm

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This is some truly groundbreaking analysis. That weak depth had them in the run for the presidents trophy until the last 2 wks of the season, and had them finish a point behind the Atlantic winner, and knocked out the leafs mega core in the first round. They’re a piece or 2 away from being a juggernaut
Those two pieces aren't available in FA this summer.

There is only two players who should be 100% untouchable: Swayman is number one. It's obvious he is a number one goalie and has Vezina potential imo. Crazy that the Bruins have had vezina level goaltending for nearly 20 years. Thomas/Rask/Swayman/Ullmark. And...they have one cup to show for it.

Second is Pastrnak. Now if Edmonton came calling and offered Draisaitl for Pastrnak, Boston takes it and runs. But that isnt happening. You need scorers. And he is the only guy who is a pure scorer.

McAvoy is not in that Makar/Fox/Hughes tier. He will never win a norris barring injuries to all those guys. He's a very good 1 D. I wouldn't openly shop him. But if a team came calling with a crazy offer, you take it. I wouldn't put him as totally untouchable though. He is not a good playoff performer though. He needs to get better in that area. And fast.

Nobody else on that roster is good enough or young enough to be 100% safe imo. Marchand is on the decline. Maybe you etc a 2nd rounder for him.

Lindholm is not a legit #1 D. He has not been good in the postseason.

I think it's time to start asking what Sweeney & Neely bring to the organization. Sans being beloved alumni players.
U aren't trading Marchand for a 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad