If Boston loses to Florida, SHOULD they blow it up?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think we can agree to disagree on Coyle. His production this year was mostly due to his role, and on a traditional "good" team he'd be the #3. (And when I thought about it - having a #3 in the #1 role might not be a bad thing from a team defense perspective depending on the players involved.)

I haven't concentrated enough on McAvoy's P/O performance to have a valid opinion. If he is buckling like you suggest - it would be a case where he isn't as good as his reputation would indicate.
Your opinion on Coyle is completely fair so no problem. McAvoy is a #1D so I don't want to say otherwise. He has it tough playing against a stacked Panthers team upfront but he was less than dominant for certain against a depleted Leafs offense.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
As others have said this was a bridge year. Sacrificed a lot to give last years roster a go, didn’t work, ran with what we had. No fault to Zacha/Coyle/Geekie, they’re not top-6 centers. They’re fantastic 3rd line centers or fringe 2nd at best, and they played great considering the circumstances until the playoffs.

We don’t have the depth to compete with the top teams anymore. Easier to key in on Pasta when there’s no other threat on his line. We have money and some decent prospects who could surprise, though the overall farm is weak. What they do with them will dictate if they’re a consistent 1st/2nd round out, or eventually compete again.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Trade ullmark for a top 6 forward.

Start there. I wouldn't blow it up at all tbh. Just needs about 2 forwards better than Zacha and Bs are back in business. And that isn't a shot at Zacha.. but he's not a 1C on a cup winner. 1W.. yes. 2c.. yes. Pasta looks very alone offensively to my eye

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What a crazy thread. Team is in the 2nd round with Geekie and Coyle as their top 2 centers. Great goalies, all their main assets are locked up, and they have a strong history of developing talent. And people want to blow it up?

Sign Lindholm in the offseason and get back at it.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Bruins fans, what's the word on that Lysell guy? I see his stats in the AHL were pretty decent this year.
Ton of talent. There's been criticism from coaching that he doesn't have the work ethic, drive, and/or attitude to be at the next level yet, and he's not exactly someone you can plug on the 4th line and expect to succeed.

I don't get to watch him much but he's hopefully getting closer. Has some real upside but we'll see at training camp.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
A team with arguably a top-5 to 7 offensive player, arguably a top-5 to 7 defensemen, and two top-5 to 7 goalies needs to blow it up? They’re a few pieces away from completing their retool and have plenty of cap space to make that happen.

Kind of a weird thread tbh.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I hate Boston as much as the next guy, but why? it's stupid

Last year - people expected they'd be a bubble team and likely miss playoffs. Instead - they had arguably the greatest regular season ever.

This year - they lose their top 2C, including Bergeron who is a team defining player - and everyone expects them to again revert back to a bubble team. Instead - they're top of league all year, very close to president's trophy again

Why would you blow it up? They've done great past 2 years. Maybe tweak a bit here and there.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Blowing a team up is such a stupid idea, and even stupider for the Bruins right now. The Bruins have a top 5ish offensive player that is 27 (and just signed for 8 years), a 26 year old #1 D (that's regressed slightly, but is still a #1, and signed for 6 years), and one of the best goalies in the game (that they will resign). That's what teams 'blow it up' hoping to get.

Only on HFBoards are mid to late 20s players 'over the hill'. This isn't the 70s anymore, guys are smoking darts between periods and crushing 18 bud heavies every night - look at how many guys remain at or near peak well into their mid to late 30s.

Winning culture is as important as anything else. This year was supposed to be a bridge and they over achieved. Stick to the plan, sign the best C available in the off season, and let's see if Poitras picks up where he left off pre-injury.

The only time I might consider if is if a team gave our 4 or 5 giant retirement contracts to loved vets and they are just running out the clock on cap hell. That probably doesn't even fit the 'blow it up' definition though.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This is a thread?

What's to blow up? Bergeron and Krejci just retired. Rask before that.

We're in the middle of a retool and we get all the cap space next year. Lol this is the fun part.

Weird thread is weird.
Half this board thinks you have to tank to get top picks to become a good team.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
They just need some legit centers, the hard part is those are rarely available without overpay in free agency, bottoming out for a draft pick, or making a hockey trade, or lucking out with a struggling player. Bruins will have a tough time making a 1 for 1 hockey trade without losing another key piece though.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They just need some legit centers, the hard part is those are rarely available without overpay in free agency, bottoming out for a draft pick, or making a hockey trade, or lucking out with a struggling player. Bruins will have a tough time making a 1 for 1 hockey trade without losing another key piece though.
They need PLD!

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I think the Bruins are one Brendan Gallagher, one Josh Anderson and one Christian Dvorak away from being a modern NHL Dynasty.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad