If AZ made a 16m offer sheet for Matthews should the Leafs match it? Please read OP first.

If AZ made a offer sheet of 16m for Matthews for 7 years would the Leafs match it?

• Tor fans: Match it

• Tor fans: Don't match it, take the draft picks

• AZ fans: Go for matthews no matter the cost

• AZ fans: Dont make this offer sheet

• Non Leaf/AZ fans: match the offer sheet

• Non Leaf/AZ fans: take the drafth picks

Results are only viewable after voting.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Since when did exposure matter to NHL players? Arizona is a massive market if the yotes can tap into it. Nobody thought hockey could survive in California either but it’s thriving there. I’m not saying it will happen but from a business perspective it makes sense.
We were not talking about the player rather than the league. Though some do care about endorsement opportunities.

It is possible Matthews would rather play on a bad team with no depth to be home rather than be the franchise player on an O6 team but until there is any indication of this it is all speculation with dubious motives.

It is not Arizona fans clinging to this idea I notice.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
We were not talking about the player rather than the league. Though some do care about endorsement opportunities.

It is possible Matthews would rather play on a bad team with no depth to be home rather than be the franchise player on an O6 team but until there is any I diction of this it is all speculation with dubious motives.

It is not Arizona fans clinging to this idea I notice.

Im not clinging to anything. Its something to talk about. Dont be so sensitive about something that probably wont happen. Dubious motives? yeah its a consipiracy. Its totally fine when everyone is coming to Toronto but we are not allowed to talk about Matthews in the same way or else the motives is "hating the leafs". He is one of the best young players in the NHL. he is from the area. He could change the entire future of that franchise. Is it really that crazy of an idea? You will then mention "Well other guys like Ehlers and Nylander wernt offer sheeted!" yeah because they are not on the same planet talent wise as Matthews. This is one of the very few players worth thinking about offer sheeting.

Endorsements. I keep hearing this being brought up. I think its a silly argument. People make it seem as if it takes 5 minutes to shoot a commercial or something. One of the last things players want to do is use their free time to do tons of endorsements. 1 maybe? Yeah sure. Nobody cares about O6 teams except their fans. I dont believe its a selling point or anything.

Reactions: libertarian

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Im not clinging to anything. Its something to talk about. Dont be so sensitive about something that probably wont happen. Dubious motives? yeah its a consipiracy. Its totally fine when everyone is coming to Toronto but we are not allowed to talk about Matthews in the same way or else the motives is "hating the leafs". He is one of the best young players in the NHL. he is from the area. He could change the entire future of that franchise. Is it really that crazy of an idea? You will then mention "Well other guys like Ehlers and Nylander wernt offer sheeted!" yeah because they are not on the same planet talent wise as Matthews. This is one of the very few players worth thinking about offer sheeting.

Endorsements. I keep hearing this being brought up. I think its a silly argument. People make it seem as if it takes 5 minutes to shoot a commercial or something. One of the last things players want to do is use their free time to do tons of endorsements. 1 maybe? Yeah sure. Nobody cares about O6 teams except their fans. I dont believe its a selling point or anything.

Lots of hot air.

I don't covet other team's franchise players unless they are moving. I find it insensitive.

You say this is an interesting topic but what so interesting? Matthews leaving the Leafs.

This is not about bringing a cup to Zona, Not about saving their franchise..so what is so interesting. A player wit a contract who might against all odds go home?

Seems random in an HF kind of way.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Lots of hot air.

I don't covet other team's franchise players unless they are moving. I find it insensitive.

You say this is an interesting topic but what so interesting? Matthews leaving the Leafs.

This is not about bringing a cup to Zona, Not about saving their franchise..so what is so interesting. A player wit a contract who might against all odds go home?

Oh okay. We shouldnt discuss anything on a hockey message board. Got it.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lots of hot air.

HF told us for YEARS that no star players were going to come home, and up until JT they were right. The only reason JT came over was because we're cup contenders, the Islanders are in an awful financial/arena situation and did not look like they were going anywhere competitively. Matthews is not going to leave for Arizona because they are still a bad team with an even worse situation. End of story

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

How many of those other players from the Toronto area did the Leafs end up signing? Yes they did get Tavares however that was still a rare thing? We never saw the Leafs sign Rick Nash who re-signed with Columbus 1 year before he could have become a UFA or Steven Stamkos who decided to re-sign with Tampa a few days before he could have become a UFA in July 2016.

Also I will the Stamkos example once again that I used before. After his ELC had finished he was an RFA and there was talk that the Leafs should give him an offer sheet, however that was done by the Toronto media and I remember they said the Leafs have the money to do something like that. However as we all know that never happened.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
HF told us for YEARS that no star players were going to come home, and up until JT they were right. The only reason JT came over was because we're cup contenders, the Islanders are in an awful financial/arena situation and did not look like they were going anywhere competitively. Matthews is not going to leave for Arizona because they are still a bad team with an even worse situation. End of story
You forgot how HF also told us that Tavares decided months in advance he would sign in Toronto, because they didn't want to give Kyle Dubas any credit for being able to sign him. Of course those same people forget how Tavares also meet with the Lightning, Sharks, Bruins, Stars and of course the Islanders a week before July 1st. Plus the fact that Tavares choose the Leafs at approximately 9:00 PM EST on June 30, 2018. So for someone who had decided on playing in Toronto months in advance it didn't seem like that.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

At approximately 9:00 p.m. Eastern time on Sat., June 30, Tavares called Dubas. “I told him I wanted to come,” Tavares says. “‘Let’s get it done.’”

The Maple Leafs committed to $11 million. It was over.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Oh okay. We shouldnt discuss anything on a hockey message board. Got it.
Discuss what you like, I'm just saying it is far fetched and desperate.

If you cannot sit back and see there is nothing here but a way to bug Leaf fans I cannot help you, but that is the only interesting thing in this topic.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You forgot how HF also told us that Tavares decided months in advance he would sign in Toronto, because they didn't want to give Kyle Dubas any credit for being able to sign him. Of course those same people forget how Tavares also meet with the Lightning, Sharks, Bruins, Stars and of course the Islanders a week before July 1st. Plus the fact that Tavares choose the Leafs at approximately 9:00 PM EST on June 30, 2018. So for someone who had decided on playing in Toronto months in advance it didn't seem like that.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

I love how it's changed so much too. Leaf fans were laughed-at for suggesting Tavares might want to sign in Toronto. All of a sudden, he was always going to the Leafs and Dubas did nothing. LOL.
Just bump up the old Tavares thread from late June. NO ONE said Toronto except a few Leaf fans.

Dubas by all accounts did a brilliant presentation. Better than any competing GM did.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
How many of those other players from the Toronto area did the Leafs end up signing? Yes they did get Tavares however that was still a rare thing? We never saw the Leafs sign Rick Nash who re-signed with Columbus 1 year before he could have become a UFA or Steven Stamkos who decided to re-sign with Tampa a few days before he could have become a UFA in July 2016.

Also I will the Stamkos example once again that I used before. After his ELC had finished he was an RFA and there was talk that the Leafs should give him an offer sheet, however that was done by the Toronto media and I remember they said the Leafs have the money to do something like that. However as we all know that never happened.

Oh, so there were no rumblings from your fanbase of how they want to "come home" then and that was the single argument? The point still stands that its the same exact argument used by you guys and yet, apparently it is not allowed to be used with Auston Matthews. Weird. There were tons of threads about Stamkos and how he was going to sign in Toronto. Yet we cannot discuss the possibility of Auston going to Arizona......

If you notice a lot of the comments by your fanbase at the end says things like "End of Story" or "Not happening, Period" seems like they want to shut the conversation down because it touches a nerve or something.

Last edited:

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
You realize players themselves are fans, right? Otherwise, why do we hear so much about "pajama boy"?

yeah i guess maybe? Do you believe being an O6 team has any bearing on guys signing in certain places though? It may have a slight impact but i dont believe its that much. Hed be a fan growing up regardless of them being an O6 team or not.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Oh, so there were no rumblings from your fanbase of how they want to "come home" then and that was the single argument? The point still stands that its the same exact argument used by you guys and yet, apparently it is not allowed to be used with Auston Matthews. Weird. There were tons of threads about Stamkos and how he was going to sign in Toronto. Yet we cannot discuss the possibility of Auston going to Arizona......

If you notice a lot of the comments by your fanbase at the end says things like "End of Story" or "Not happening, Period" seems like they want to shut the conversation down because it touches a nerve or something.
1 significant player of hundreds has chosen to come home. Naturally Arizona will do it on their one and only try despite it making no sense for either side.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Doing something like this is a lose-lose proposition for Matthews.

If he goes to AZ, he ends up on a bottom feeding team with no money to build a true contender. At best, he can hope for a playoff team that may get lucky and go far once or twice.

If TO matches, Matthews effectively handcuffs TO's cap flexibility and hurts their ability to bring in better players to increase their chances of winning.

Players know that if they want their team to have a chance at seriously contending they'll have to leave some money on the table like McDavid did. So signing an offersheet like this instead of trying to work with TO to come to some sort of reasonable contract is like shooting himself in the groin... twice.
Maybe Mathews only cares about the money.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The funny thing is if Arizona even tries this the Leafs will go ahead and sign Matthews still and then be given the green light to pouch Arizona guys when they hit RFA’s...the Yotes don’t want any of that smoke.
How?
The Leafs won't have any money to do so after signing Mathews to a contract that pays him $16 million per and whatever Marner receives.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Whichever Leafs win the cup in Toronto basically has the keys to the city for life. Hell Gilmore has that and he didn't even get to the finals.

The top selling sweater last season was guess who?

This year my money is on JT.

This isn't like Pittsburgh or Tampa bay where you win a cup and it's like "ok cool what evs"

You win a cup in Toronto you basically become a religion.

Just look at these boards. Every single gd thread is either about the Leafs, or devolves TO the Leafs somehow. And which Leafs do they devolve too? Marner or Matthews or JT.

He goes to Phoenix and cool! He may make the market swell a bit. But he will NEVER receive the plateau of attention and spectacle that he receives while in Toronto.

Kid was just named captain of the Atlantic division for crying out loud. I can think of a at least half a dozen players more deserved of the honor.

The difference is Pittsburgh and TB have won cups in the modern era.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
How?
The Leafs won't have any money to do so after signing Mathews to a contract that pays him $16 million per and whatever Marner receives.

You have no clue what the salary cap will be in a few years. The Leafs spend to the cap, the Coyotes to the floor...who do you think will win that battle.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
But yeah, no way I pay him 16M. It will hurt to lose him but it means we keep the team together and get 4 firsts. Use them to upgrade the rest of the roster.
Yup. Plus we grab OEL when they are forced to move him all the while enjoying their lottery picks due to a dismantled team.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You have no clue what the salary cap will be in a few years. The Leafs spend to the cap, the Coyotes to the floor...who do you think will win that battle.
Let's be realistic a lot of teams will be spending to the cap so the bidding wars will begin and end in bloodshed. Leafs may not be competing with Arizona but the rest of the league. In a no cap league your argument would carry weight. Still offer sheets cost draft picks and UFA like Tavares aren't of the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad