If awards are being announced over time this year, what's on Jun 27?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I’m confused by your confusion.

The schedule is all laid out there. 27th looks like the presentation show where they will announce all the “big trophies”… Calder, Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, Norris.

Reactions: wetcoast and Voight

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They always do it like this. Announce the finalists throughout the playoff, the award show is who wins

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They always do it like this. Announce the finalists throughout the playoff, the award show is who wins
As per the link they will be announcing winners of certain awards before hand. But I guess the big 5 if you want to call it that will be announced June 27th.

Can't remember how it was done last year as it seems similar

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
As per the link they will be announcing winners of certain awards before hand. But I guess the big 5 if you want to call it that will be announced June 27th.

Can't remember how it was done last year as it seems similar

Seems like they wanted to shorten/streamline the awards show this year. I'm a little bit surprised that Selke/Adams didn't make the cut as one of the majors. I'm planning on being in Vegas for the draft, so I might be a sucker and buy a ticket for the awards show too. I attended in 2015 and didn't remember it dragging too badly, although they probably got some feedback from the attendees who maybe preferred to expedite things.

Edit: looks like last year's show clocked in at just under two hours without commercials. Kopitar/Bergeron opted not to attend and had pre-recorded acceptance speeches for Lady Byng/Selke.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Seems like they wanted to shorten/streamline the awards show this year. I'm a little bit surprised that Selke/Adams didn't make the cut as one of the majors. I'm planning on being in Vegas for the draft, so I might be a sucker and buy a ticket for the awards show too. I attended in 2015 and didn't remember it dragging too badly, although they probably got some feedback from the attendees who maybe preferred to expedite things.

I don't get it, even the draft itself with the talk about doing it remote.

I remember being 12 or 13 and attending the draft and it was quite the memorable moment(although in hindsight it was a disaster for the Oilers). Being there seeing all the teams and players as a kid was very exciting. Them going away from that just seems like a missed opportunity to promote the game.

Whether being in person or watching the draft/awards on TV the NHL sure doesn't seem to want to promote the low hanging fruit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I remember being 12 or 13 and attending the draft and it was quite the memorable moment(although in hindsight it was a disaster for the Oilers). Being there seeing all the teams and players as a kid was very exciting. Them going away from that just seems like a missed opportunity to promote the game.

Whether being in person or watching the draft/awards on TV the NHL sure doesn't seem to want to promote the low hanging fruit.

The NHL is gradually eliminating all the things that make it different/better than other sports, and are totally out-of-touch with what fans like/want.

In the case of ruining the draft, that's just pure cheapness (don't want to pay to fly all the scouts to a destination) and laziness (get an extra weekend at home during the summer).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The NHL is gradually eliminating all the things that make it different/better than other sports, and are totally out-of-touch with what fans like/want.

In the case of ruining the draft, that's just pure cheapness (don't want to pay to fly all the scouts to a destination) and laziness (get an extra weekend at home during the summer).

I don't think the NHL decided to change it because that's what the league wanted. They gathered feedback from the teams and there were enough who preferred to stay at their home base. Teams had a taste of that with the pandemic drafts and things operated smoothly enough.

While I like that everybody was there in person for NHL Draft, I have witnessed how quickly teams gtfo once it's over. In 2019 I thought I made pretty good time leaving the draft, gathering my luggage, and getting to the airport. I was surprised to be among Colorado's group going through security. Then I spotted LAK/ARZ's crew already at adjacent gates. In 2015, I was surprised when the Penguins staff was slumming it with me on Southwest. For some reason I assumed they'd have a chartered flight but they were flying commercial.

I think there's still some confusion about what a decentralized draft means. It won't be exactly the same as the pandemic drafts where the teams and prospects all stay home. The NHL still plans on having a host team/city and the prospects would still attend. Teams would still send a notable alum, current player, and/or some higher up to announce the pick.

Realistically future NHL drafts will still look the same to the vast majority of fans. Bulk of the fans in attendance wouldn't know the difference between Rob Blake and a small legion of unnamed scouts greeting the Kings pick vs. them sending Luc Robitaille or Drew Doughty like the NFL Draft.

Although we'll see if more prospects opt to stay home like the NBA/NFL. That was one unique thing that every potential first rounder attends and there'll still be guys to hear their names in the late rounds (or guys like Sean Durzi who sit through the entire draft and not get picked).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How is this year any different to other years?

Sounds like they are making a concerted effort to shortening the show this year, so they've been announcing some of the other awards ahead of time to save time. The show will have the "major" awards (Calder/Norris/Vezina/Lindsay/Hart). Ie, the Lady Byng, Adams, and Selke were part of the show previously but are now announced beforehand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad