If a player is going to play the last game of his career in SCF Game 7...

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
...do you think he should be in the lineup if the team has a better and/or healthier player who could replace him?

EDIT: And let's assume the player in question has been a part of the team during the postseason and has been playing in at least few other playoff games (so not some 4th string goalie or career AHLer who has few NHL games).

Last edited:

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Nope!

That's considering that the distraction of leaving him out is compensated completely and then some by dressing the better player.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
No! This shouldnt even be a question. This is pro sports, if the team has a better chance to win with someone else, you are not playing.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Game 7, you dress the best line-up, period. By the same token, if the score is 7-0 after two periods, you try for 10 - 0. That's the nature of pro-sports. No free rides.

Now, if we're talking about game four of a probable four-game sweep, I could see inserting a team-leader veteran who will mostly ride the bench. But that's an exceptional case.

For me, the cruelest scratch is one like Jim Peplinski (Flames) in game six, 1989. Peplinski was a lifetime Flame, pillar of the team and community for almost a decade, and a good playoff performer. He had set up the game seven OT winner in round one, for example. Yet Terry Crisp scratched him before the Cup-clinching game six in Montreal (the positive side is that Lanny McDonald was in). Peplinski had to suffer the indignity of hoisting the Cup from the commisioner dressed without a jersey on.

A few months later, Peplinski retired, age 29.

As they said in The Karate Kid: "No mercy!"

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t care if you’re literally Scotty Bowman; if you intentionally ice a less than optimal lineup in a game that means everything, you are a f***ing idiot and you deserve to be fired.

Feb 24, 2017
Well in ‘03 the Devils inserted Ken Daneyko into Game 7 of the Cup Final for his final game after him being a scratch for most of the playoffs.

They won and pitched a shutout. Of course I’m not going to claim he was a difference maker in the game. It has happened though.
He was a scratch for 11/24 playoff games
That’s not even half, where one more than half is what you would need for the very loosest definition of “most”
But yes I do remember the surprise insertion into game 7 over oly t

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
you ice the best lineup possible. you dont jeopardize anything for an entire organizations history to satisfy one player. im sure said player will be glad to win a stanley cup if they do win over playing and potentially losing.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Chicago let Kimmo Timonen play 3 minutes in the cup final when they beat Tampa.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Depends on the players history in the league. If it was a once superstar you do it for sure

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not if that player isn't better than guys your benching. This is professional sports...

I get that but how much more is a bit player on the fourth line going to change? If Jagr was going into his last game, you put him in over your fourth liner

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
What if a player has birthday and it's only a first round game 2? Should be be in the lineup over a better player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad