• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
We all want him to re-sign with Blues, but there is possibility Army - Pietro has silenced talk Pietro's future already. Lets play game where we're 100% sure he doesn't re-sign with Blues.

What is your choice?

Please don't bash or go personal in this thread, keep it clean.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
I want to keep Pietro more than the next guy, but that’s a tough package to turn down. I would probably push for one of their LD prospects, and do a mini re-tool.
It hurts to say, but from an asset management POV you almost have to take ~that package.
*if there is a 0% chance of resigning*

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I would normally lean toward going for the Cup, however, winning back to back Cups is so incredibly difficult. These guys are going to be gassed come playoff time and the team is already hurt by the loss of Tarasenko(who may or may not be back for the playoffs).

You can say "well the Penguins won back to back Cups just a few years ago." Ok, well they also did it without their #1 d-man Kris Letang for the second Cup. Helps to have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel up front but at least we'd still have a quality defense and Nylander up front after the trade.

The reason for saying no to the trade is that the West is wide open once again. Petro is our MVP. Always has been. Even with it being difficult to win back-to-back, it won't take a superteam to come out of this conference. This team might be able to do it even without Tarasenko.

PS: my real answer is: re-sign Pietrangelo!!!

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure if we could get Nylander AND Kap for an unsigned Petro (Is the 1st the signing condition? Maybe I misunderstood your post) but if he has stated that he has no intention of resigning, I'd definitely take the assets. Especially a hall like that one.

As much as it hurts to say, I'm not a huge believer in our ability to repeat anyways

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Easy decision for me. The cup run was awesome but magical. This team could collapse with the injuries and generally not being that dominant. If Petro wants out and Toronto offers that...well it's time for Faulk to earn that extention

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I voted let him walk, I think we need to do what ever we can to resign him of course. I think if we trade him it will increase his chance of signing with another team to almost a guarantee. I want him to take our offer and I do not mean for him to take a home town discount. He could be on the Blues Mount Rushmore after being the only captain to lead us to the cup.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
First off, we should do everything to re-sign him and I think we will.

Having said that, if he hypothetically made it 100% clear he's walking and TOR offered that package. I mean...yeah I'd probably make the trade.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Petro would need to waive his NTC. Doubt that happens. I’d be surprised if Petro doesn’t finish the season with the Blues.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I voted let him walk, I think we need to do what ever we can to resign him of course. I think if we trade him it will increase his chance of signing with another team to almost a guarantee. I want him to take our offer and I do not mean for him to take a home town discount. He could be on the Blues Mount Rushmore after being the only captain to lead us to the cup.
That ignores Ransku's premise. His situation is Petro has said he will not be a Blue past this season no matter what. It's 1 last cup run with Petro or take this package for Petro and hope the new structure can be just as competitive.

Reactions: Ranksu

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
If Petro is adamant about not wanting to stay, and Toronto offered Nylander+Muzzin+ for Petro+Sanford, I’d probably say yeah to that deal.

Come playoff time, you’d get to run this

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Nylander
Blais-Thomas-Bozak
Barbashev-Sundqvist-Steen
MacEachern, de la Rose, Brouwer

Bouwmeester-Parayko
Muzzin-Faulk
Dunn-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson

Now, I know the defense isn’t as good, but that’s still a pretty darn good d-core, and the upgrade of Sanford to Nylander would likely wash out the downgrade of Pietrangelo to Muzzin. Also, Parayko would be back on his natural side, and Faulk would have his normal top 4 minutes back.

Reactions: teddygmr

Mar 6, 2012
If it is 100% assured he isn't coming back and we can get a package close to what is in the poll I would go for that.

The Blues are a great team and a legit cup contender and yes, they COULD repeat... but they are far from a total powerhouse and it would still be long odds. Last year was long odds as well, the planets just aligned and everything went our way for a change... far from a guarantee that it will happen twice in a row.

I think you have to stay focused on the long game.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d take the package from the Leafs. By adding Nylander and Kap, that could set up another trade for a RHD if needed. I’m not sure they’d add a 1st even for a signed Petro. Maybe a 2nd.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
We need to re-sign Petro at all costs. If he made it clear that he's walking and the Leafs offered that package you'd be crazy not to take it. As much as pains me to say it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
In this scenario, has Pietro said that Toronto is the only place where he will waive his NTC? If he is open to other teams, I'd try to leverage that package elsewhere to get assets I think are a better fit for us. If Toronto is the only team he'd waive for, I send him to San Antonio for the rest of the season and let him ride the bus. Why? Because if I am GM, I'd pay him 8 years at any number under $10M. If he won't sign for that on my team, f*** him. I don't want someone who has already checked out on my cup run, nor do I want Nylander.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Brian39 was sarcastically implying that one of the poll options was very unrealistic. I agree with him, in that I doubt Toronto ever offers that package. Back to the thread, I vote to keep Pietrangelo because I don't want Nylander on the Blues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
In this scenario, has Pietro said that Toronto is the only place where he will waive his NTC? If he is open to other teams, I'd try to leverage that package elsewhere to get assets I think are a better fit for us. If Toronto is the only team he'd waive for, I send him to San Antonio for the rest of the season and let him ride the bus. Why? Because if I am GM, I'd pay him 8 years at any number under $10M. If he won't sign for that on my team, **** him. I don't want someone who has already checked out on my cup run, nor do I want Nylander.

Well that's stupid. Something tells me that one of the 30 other NHL teams would point and laugh at you while claiming him off waivers. There is just no reality where Petro gets to San Antonio. And then that team (almost certainly Detroit given the current standings) would try to extend him, fail and then trade him to Toronto since he was willing to waive the NTC to go there. Or maybe Petro expands his list of teams to let them get the best possible offer so you look like an even bigger idiot when the Wings get an absolute haul for him. Either way, you're just giving assets away for free for literally no good reason. Even if you hate the package you get and don't want a "checked out" player trying to increase his UFA value, take the 1 package you have and then flip those assets for things you do like.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Brian39 was sarcastically implying that one of the poll options was very unrealistic. I agree with him, in that I doubt Toronto ever offers that package. Back to the thread, I vote to keep Pietrangelo because I don't want Nylander on the Blues.
I have a new poll question for the thread:

If Petro absolutely refuses to re-sign, would you rather see the Blues write you an apology check for $10 mil or have Tom Stillman personally spit in every beer you order at the Enterprise Center?

Last edited by a moderator:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Well that's stupid. Something tells me that one of the 30 other NHL teams would point and laugh at you while claiming him off waivers. There is just no reality where Petro gets to San Antonio. And then that team (almost certainly Detroit given the current standings) would try to extend him, fail and then trade him to Toronto since he was willing to waive the NTC to go there. Or maybe Petro expands his list of teams to let them get the best possible offer so you look like an even bigger idiot when the Wings get an absolute haul for him. Either way, you're just giving assets away for free for literally no good reason. Even if you hate the package you get and don't want a "checked out" player trying to increase his UFA value, take the 1 package you have and then flip those assets for things you do like.

Yea, you are right. I was being overly reactionary. I wouldn't really do that, and I also forgot completely about waivers. I just hate the narrative that we either lose him or trade him to Toronto, like there are no other options. Also if we do trade him its always Nylander we get back. I don't want Nylander. If they can't clear salary without giving us Nylander, I'd prefer trading him almost anywhere but Toronto.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yea, you are right. I was being overly reactionary. I wouldn't really do that, and I also forgot completely about waivers. I just hate the narrative that we either lose him or trade him to Toronto, like there are no other options. Also if we do trade him its always Nylander we get back. I don't want Nylander. If they can't clear salary without giving us Nylander, I'd prefer trading him almost anywhere but Toronto.
If trading Petro becomes a reality (which I don't think is at all realistic), then I would be targeting a futures package that allows us to stockpile future cheap talent to offset the overpay we inevitably give to whatever D we bring in to try and patch the massive hole created by losing Petro. I don't think there is any offensive player (reasonably available) that makes us a legit Cup contender this year or next year if we don't have Petro, so any trade of Petro is with an eye towards the future for me.

With all that said, if we can't re-sign Petro and Dubas is stupid enough to make this offer, you have to take it. Nylander/Kapanen/1st is just waaaaay too much total value to pass up. You aren't returning anything close to that type of value in futures. Nylander has been a 55-60 point player through his early 20s, has awesome possession numbers, a good takeaway/giveaway ratio, is decent on the faceoff dot when called upon and has consistently provided a good chunk of his offense at 5 on 5. He's a good player, his cap hit is reasonable due to his holdout last year and he has zero trade protection for the next 3 seasons so you can move/flip him if you want. Getting him (and his contract) AND a 1st AND another asset would be a great return if you for some reason become content bailing on this season and moving Petro. Even if you don't want to keep Kapanan/Nylander long term and just want futures, you can turn those two guys into multiple 1st rounders/prospects with ease.

But as I alluded to earlier, this type of package is about as unrealistic as the Blues being able to put together a package for McDavid.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Mar 6, 2012
Also, let's be realistic... a rental Pietrangelo is not going to get anything close to that back.

Also, it really also hinges on what the team looks like at the trade deadline. If we're still really banged up, and it doesn't look like Tarasenko will be back and we're sputtering or treading water... then it makes it easier to move him. You pretty much have to.

All of this is of course based on the original premise that he's not re-signing here no matter what.

It will get really interesting if the trade deadline is fast approaching and both sides (army and metro) are still not close on a number or aren't even talking...

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If we were in this scenario I'd just keep him for another Cup run (who knows maybe with a good playoffs and possible back to back cups he'd decide to stay). I wouldn't be upset hockey wise about the return although losing Petro from a fan standpoint would be a gut punch. Also I would hope we would shop around for any team looking to match or beat that offer as well.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that Petro will be extended possibly not until after the season ends. But I'm confident he'll be a Blue moving forward.

Reactions: shmotz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad