Ides of February

Since we got a couple of days to regroup here We should talk about what some of us have already alluded to. These next 5 weeks are as crucial as they are tough.

40E47489-884D-488E-99E4-FD83F6ACD1CC.png

Til mid February I see only 2 of 13 games in which the Wings should be the favorites rn (PHI, OTT). Apart from that only fat cats on the menu.

So where does this team have to be by mid February points wise to have a legit shot at the playoffs? Where do you personally think it will stand by then?

Is there a scenario in which you start the process of selling by mid February or esrlier? TDL is on 8th March.

Note: by March the schedule eases up a ton. Lots of games against teams worse than us or equal.

21BD8E4D-94AC-448F-8036-CDDA793ABC17.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JediOrderPizza

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
They probably have to go at least .600 to stay in the race. That's a lot of good teams and I'm feeling they probably don't do that.

Hard to say when they should sell, I think last year the Jeannot trade really set the market (Feb 26th), Hronek got traded three days later (March 1st) and is what allowed us to get a 1st for Bert. The deadline was March 3rd.

So maybe wait until a dumby GM overpays for a middle six guy and try to profit.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
20 points available between now and the all star break. All are tough, considering our recent history with Ottawa. Gotta feel like north of 10 points is a must to stay in it.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It's the make it or break it time of year. I agree that the team probably has to go around .600 to warrant trying to stay in the race and it is going to be a very difficult path with the teams they are facing.

With that said this team is very confidence dependent and they appear to be getting it back at the right time for this run. Get a big win or two early on vs. these top teams and I could see this team going on a streak. One way or the other I don't see the Wings doing a big selloff this year. I don't think Kane gets moved, and I think there is a decent chance he resigns.

I would not be opposed to Stevie dealing Fabbri and Maata at the deadline regardless of our position. I think we need to clear up some cap and roster space, and the deadline is the best time to do that and maybe get an asset back. Berggren and Fabbri are about a wash but Berggren is significantly cheaper for next season and Ed and Maata are also probably a wash and Ed has the potential to be much better sooner.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
If by the end of january we are within sniffing distance of florida (like 3-5 points behind) we should be in good shape.

Devils have injuries everywhere, carolina, tb, dallas, phi, ott are winnable games, calgary and one of the edmonton games is winnable, we will probably lose at home to LA,

I said it before, 9 - two point games is minimum for this month for us to have a shot. With the devils hurt, that increases our chances of a wildcard at least. We already got 3 of 9, so just need those last 6 to come. Would love it if we could steal one from toronto or florida

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I honestly don't think we will be close to the playoffs. We don't play well enough consistently enough and the teams ahead of us are basically all better than us. Even last night against Anaheim we played pretty crappy for half the 1st period, got going, and then coasted a bunch.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I honestly don't think we will be close to the playoffs. We don't play well enough consistently enough and the teams ahead of us are basically all better than us. Even last night against Anaheim we played pretty crappy for half the 1st period, got going, and then coasted a bunch.

Inconsistent play makes the team hard to predict. I said couple of months ago Lyon gives the team the best chance at the playoffs. All we can hope for is that Lyon continues to play well like he did last night, and steals enough games to get the team into the playoffs.

Also, looking at the schedule, I think the WSH, NYI, FLA games will dictate whether or not Stevie buys or sells at teh deadline. I'm no gonna expect any early trades this season.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It really comes down to what's been said to the guys on expiring deals. I have to think they discussed trade deadline possibilities with Kane and Gostisbehere when they initially signed those 1 year deals. So unless the team actually keeps up with that .600 threshold across that tough stretch (and I don't see it happening), those guys are probably out the door just from Yzerman keeping to what they agreed on.

But that might be about all the selling they do. I could see them extending Perron. I don't think their collection of spare goalies has a lot of trade value. Sprong, I'm not sure. He's been good, but I don't know that he stays with the Wings unless he gets a bigger role at ES.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It won't be easy, but I like that we play comparatively better against better opponents and are finally getting solid goaltending. .600 hockey can be done.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
We'll know it 2 weeks, 4 top eastern contenders in the next six... ( Car/Tor/TB/FLA ). 4-2, 4-1-1, 3-1-2. Those situations put the Red Wings in good shape. None of the games are give me's playing Oilers and Kings even if it is home.

This is how it'll be going forward, everyone wanted in the playoff race, hello you're in it still, this is the real thing. This is how it feels! Roller coaster highs and lows!

Now they pull something like 1 or 2 wins in this next 6 game stretch, sure, we can talk about selling. They cannot come close to pulling what they did in DEC.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00