Identity?

FROLIK

Oct 28, 2008
Hi everyone, following the board for awhile. Enjoy the interesting takes on things.

Curious about what you guys think about the identity of this team going forward. Our cup years had a certain identity/swagger if you will. Not sure what direction we're going in, besides having a lot of young talent. Seems all over the board, maybe it will present itself later. Just don't see a clear strategy. Thx guys.

Go Kings Go!!!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Second this.

But really it’s expected. Young guys are just trying to fit in and not make mistakes, culture is a learning process too. Thinking of the Kings circa 2008, those teams had no identity either. We should see that develop more next year, then it should be clear by 22-23. I think TM will be given every chance to take this team to a high level, but if things are still directionless after next season he will be gone.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Too soon to tell what the next "era" will be like, it is in it's infancy. There is a lot of talent coming in quickly, but the character shelf has yet to be restocked.

This is the first season without the grinding, board battling wingers associated with Kings hockey over the last dozen years. Lots of new faces trying to find their way either into the league or in their first year with this organization in flux.

The biggest issue has been the failure of the "core" to carry not just the scoring burden, which has been okay, but frankly they were lousy at setting a standard of play or any level of accountability. This was to be expected, as these same players needed those qualities to be purchased from outside the organization just to win one playoff round. Good guys, lousy leaders.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Welcome. :thumbu:

That's my biggest issue with Blake as GM. So far, he hasn't done much to create a team identity. He played most of his career on a Kings team without one so he might only know that from his time with the Avs. Is that enough? Doesn't look like it.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Last season I thought the identity the team was forming was a puck hound/competitive identity. Guys like Iafallo and Gundy were always chasing down the puck, keeping plays alive, and forechecking well. This season, I haven't seen too much of that, other than when JAD/Moore/Gundy were playing well together. Ultimately, it might be early to form an identity. The team's roster has been in flux for the past few years. I think next year we may see some semblance of what our future team will look like. I think if the team starts off slow and sucks by December, I can see Todd getting canned. We will then see a new coach form the identity. Alternatively, we will see if with a better roster, Todd has the Kings playing like the Sharks when they were really good.

Reactions: apadilla

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The only identity TMac has in his long career is that of choking. Take that as you will.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the lack of one is the biggest issue this team has right now. The blown leads, the getting caved in, the lack of passion, the inability to connect on passes...the 1-3-1 makes my eyes bleed. I'm biased though because I'm firmly on the fire TM train. Unless we can have some sort of cohesion in the first quarter of next season, the seats have to start getting hot.

And it's not just winning teams...even the Terry Murray Kings had an identity. We shouldn't be several years into TM's coaching and have no clue what they're trying to accomplish. Right now the best I can come up with is

1. if we turn puck over in offensive zone, keep pressure/forecheck on; if defending team controls the puck, back off and set up 1-3-1;
2. Use 1-3-1 to force dump-in;
3. f*** up breakout, outright lose puck, or glass-and out to one forward with no support so they can dump the puck and set up 1-3-1 again.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
In seriousness, I think it too early to say. We are very, very young outside of Kopi, Doughty and Quick. Until one of the younger guys says "Step aside Old Man, I've got this" I think we are in a bit of purgatory. I do agree with most on here that we need to see some improvement next year, maybe not the playoff, but darn well be in serious contention to the end. I personally think we are 2 years away from being decent and a serious playoff threat and 3-4 years away from being good. Stanley Cup good? Who knows. If the kids really turn out to be something and Blake makes some shrewd and productive moves...sure. If they turn out to be average and Blake shits the bed....I think we get another rebuild on top of this rebuild coming.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
seriously, what identity?

they're completely disengaged save for 1 or 2 random players a night, they all look like they're going to work a mcdonald's night shift or something, collect the paycheck and go again.

they're supposed to be faster but play a passive trap (poorly), don't hit, aren't tough, and can't break the puck out to set up the supposed rush opportunities a faster team should get

i've completely lost faith in tmac's system. completely. and i think the team has too. they've quit on every coach though, which i think goes back to the original question..

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

FROLIK

Oct 28, 2008
Thx for the responses. Everybody makes a good point. And I agree maybe a too soon/ambiguous question. But the TM points I think are on spot on. He has no identity really. Not sure how you guys feel about Tortorella, but he feels like a Sutter type, and what the Kings need in a year or so, if he's available. I think we have his type of players for the most part. They need somebody like that to get some type of an identity established. Or we will be like this for awhile.

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Thx for the responses. Everybody makes a good point. And I agree maybe a too soon/ambiguous question. But the TM points I think are on spot on. He has no identity really. Not sure how you guys feel about Tortorella, but he feels like a Sutter type, and what the Kings need in a year or so, if he's available. I think we have his type of players for the most part. They need somebody like that to get some type of an identity established. Or we will be like this for awhile.
not sure a torts/sutter type gets anything out of kids these days though to be honest.. sutter made a group of grown men realize they needed to sack up and get it done. i'm not sure you grow under a guy like that, you just get challenged enough to get mad about it

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
not sure a torts/sutter type gets anything out of kids these days though to be honest.. sutter made a group of grown men realize they needed to sack up and get it done. i'm not sure you grow under a guy like that, you just get challenged enough to get mad about it

Torts seems to be liked by his players a lot more than Sutter. Torts is an amazing coach and deserves another job.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Kings are playing catch up to Vegas and Colorado. Skill and speed is what is the target now. Need to add in forecheck, breakouts, and PP.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
5LEyUsW.gif

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Country Club, Surf Club, Kennel Club

in L.A there is no such thing as Fight Club

Reactions: Gjwrams

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think one of the key words McLellan has mentioned numerous times is "pace". The aimed for identity is not necessarily speed or possession, but thriving on movement.

It hasn't been culminating yet. But someone like Vilardi would benefit in this system - he thinks very quickly and can route the puck effectively.

So as far as identity, I'd say the target is "pace"

Reactions: Schmooley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad