Ideas to Make NHL Playoffs More Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Being a fan of soccer, I think there are a couple elements that I would love to see introduced into hockey. The idea of promotion and loaning players.

I think that teams that narrowly miss out on the playoffs should be rewarded for trying. Unlike the teams that tank. I would love to see an additional playoff format where the top 4 teams in each conference go through a consolation playoff series (during the second round of the NHL playoffs and end in the third round so as not to take attention away from the main prize. I suggest 2 best of 5 series in the first round and then a best of 3 series in the final round for each conference. The winner gets either the Clarence Bowl in the West and the Wales Trophy in the East. The reward doesn't stop there. Both winners would receive a 5 point boost the following season which would aide any future playoff push. Other side benefits would be more revenue, interest, rivalries and turnover in competitive balance the following season. I know people here won't like the idea. But, more hockey can only be a good thing.

As well, I would like to see the idea of players being loaned considered. I would only restrict loans to occur cross conference and that loaned players could not play against the team that are being loaned from. I think such moves would increase player movement (with the possibility of a completed trade if a loaned player would be highly coveted by the receiving team). Only players below 25 years of age could be loaned. Only 1 loan would be allowed per team per season. Loans would potentially allow players to develop in a more supportive environment. For instance, if Edmonton would like to see Hall have the chance to learn success from a winning team and bring that over back to Edmonton (while getting some kind of compensation and the salary being paid for), I think all parties would benefit from the situation.

What do you guys think? Keep an open as I am suggesting ideas that would provide us with more hockey and more player movement. These are things we are all wanting.

Also, as an aside, I think trade deadline should be more of an attempt to discuss possibilities for playoff contending teams while mentioning trades as they come. Relying on trades for news just proves to be boring if there are no trades.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
There is nothing wrong with playoff hockey.

/thread
Couldn't have said it better.

Although many people will say they go too far into the summer, but that's really more a fault of the length of the regular season.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with playoff hockey.

/thread

I'm simply adding another playoff format to teams that don't make the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It doesn't affect the SCF. It just gives the top 4 teams in each conference that don't make the playoffs to play more hockey. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Nicole-Scherzinger-no-baby-no.gif

No to all that.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Not surprised that people are being close minded. No one likes change. Just surprised that no one wants to see more hockey and player movement.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think people are understanding what I'm suggesting. Am I altering the playoff format for the Stanley Cup?

Uhhh, yes?

I think that teams that narrowly miss out on the playoffs should be rewarded for trying. Unlike the teams that tank. I would love to see an additional playoff format where the top 4 teams in each conference go through a consolation playoff series (during the second round of the NHL playoffs and end in the third round so as not to take attention away from the main prize. I suggest 2 best of 5 series in the first round and then a best of 3 series in the final round for each conference. The winner gets either the Clarence Bowl in the West and the Wales Trophy in the East. The reward doesn't stop there. Both winners would receive a 5 point boost the following season which would aide any future playoff push. Other side benefits would be more revenue, interest, rivalries and turnover in competitive balance the following season. I know people here won't like the idea. But, more hockey can only be a good thing.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Only if they wear skates and ride unicycles, and instead of sticks they use their hands, because then they can juggle.

edit: With the hype McDavid is getting I certainly hope he can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad