Ideas to improve the free agency market

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Op basically seems to want to make the actual NHL less competitive and less exciting in order to make the off season more exciting.

Can't we just find other things to excite us for a couple of months when there's no hockey?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Just a few thoughts on the subject.

Keep RFA status. It helps smaller markets.

Increase the difference between salary floor and cap. As of now it's way too small. Lower the floor a little, increase the cap. I say that for a very simple reason: most cap team are 2 injuries away from being cap floor teams. This is ridiculous.

It wouldn't help FA market, but I'd also do something like that:

-Teams can have one superstar contract. It's given to a player you drafted and doesn't count against the cap.

-Or, cap hit of a player is 90% of his salary if it's a player you drafted.

The one thing that would help FA market is to get rid of guaranteed contracts. Let's say the max term is 8 years, but the team can opt out of the contract after 4 or 5 years. The guy then becomes FA. Long and guaranteed contracts are one of the major reasons why FA market sucks. Most star players are out of the market for 8 years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Move FA to before the draft. More trades at the draft that way.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How can we make free agency good?

You know I have a long time, almost 20 years and free agency used to be great back in the day free agency used to be exciting you had guys like mogliny, Blake, Cujo, Belfour, Amonte, Geruin Roberts and more hit free agency regularly. Even as recent as 2009 you had Gaborik, Gionta, Cammerlli and others

and that doesn't even mention 2006 which had the likes of Chara and Savard.

But since about 2010 free agency has sucked I think we have to bring some excitement back into free agency because it used to be a day fans looked forward to now it's nearly pointless.

That needs to be fixed but how?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
all the free agents should show up to one place and turn it into an auction.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The NHL is making it easier for teams to retain players. It's a good thing for small market teams to have an easier time re-signing the stars, but obviously everybody else is going to take advantage of the same rules. I don't know what you can do that wouldn't hurt the small market teams that the NHL wants so badly to succeed.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Today more players who know they are not going to resign with their teams gets moved on trade deadline to team that more likely trying to sign them. So fewer players make it to free agency.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
If you got rid of RFA's, the draft would almost become pointless. You might as well just do a junior/college hockey free agency instead of a draft, 90% of team's RFA's would just move constantly. Not a fan of it

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The FA Market will never be interesting as long as there's a salary cap.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'd like to see the UFA age lowered to 25, but that's just IMO. I really want compensation for high paid players to be a thing. For example, if you lose a player that gets paid $7.5 million per season, you get a 1st after pick 30 as compensation for the next year. I'd do it:

$7.5 million and above: Compensation of a 1st
$5-$7.5 million: Compensation of a 2nd
$4-$5 million: Compensation of a 3rd
Below $4 million: No compensation

The picks would be at the end of rounds and in the next draft year. For example, using the Pens, they lost Jokinen ($4 million), Orpik ($5.5 million) and Niskanen ($5.75 million) of notable salaries, so they would get 2 picks after the 2nd round and 1 pick after the 3rd round. Those picks shouldn't be tradeable either.

It'd be interesting to see RFA remain as is until 25, then make an 'in between' period of a few years where if the player signs with another team, the team that developed them gains picks in compensation depending on salary.

Allows more player mobility, but compensates teams who develop talent then lose it.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Maybe make it so teams only get rfa status twice or even once.

Not so that they are rfas until 26/27 thats way too long

Another thing should be buy outs that dont go against caps. I know poor teams will complain but they get enough

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
I wouldn't mind seeing the rfa age lowered to 24 or 25. I feel that teams end up overpaying on high end forwards who are usually leaving their peak years by the time they hit ufa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad