Ideas for alternate names for AHL teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
They sold 3000 season tix for the Albany Admirals in 1989-90 for the Global Hockey League, which never materialized. It was why they moved the Komets to Albany in 1990 to become the Choppers.

A team that folded on Feb 14 of 1991, i.e. they didn't finish one season!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Aren't both on bodies of water? Norfolk on the Atlantic and Milwaukee on Lake Michigan? I think they both work nicely until there's an Admirals/Admirals Calder Cup.

They played in 2001-02. The Milwaukee PA announcer called them Milwaukee or Norfolk to prevent confusion. I think it was guaranteed win night for the Admirals.

Yes, Milwaukee is on Lake Michigan, sixth largest in the world. BTW, the Caspian Sea is salt water and Lakes Michigan and Huron are really two lobes of the same lake, so it is higher up the list.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Which of the Admiral teams would make better sense changing their name, Milwaukee or Norfolk?

Why change either? The USN has / had plenty of Admirals, Halsey (from PA), Nimitz (from Texas), Leahy, Kimmel, King and Spruance to name a few. It doesn't confuse me.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Actually, the team in Milwaukee is named after the Admiral-brand of home appliances, which is just a shame that their original owners weren't affiliated with a different brand as we could be talking about the Milwaukee Maytags if they were.

Chicago Dominicks. The team always has Fresh players!

WolfKeeper

Aug 14, 2003
outside Chicago
www.wolfkeeper.org
Actually, the team in Milwaukee is named after the Admiral-brand of home appliances, which is just a shame that their original owners weren't affiliated with a different brand as we could be talking about the Milwaukee Maytags if they were.

That gives me an idea for Milwaukee's next mascot:

xkrkFp0.gif

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Which of the Admiral teams would make better sense changing their name, Milwaukee or Norfolk?

Agreed.

They played in 2001-02. The Milwaukee PA announcer called them Milwaukee or Norfolk to prevent confusion. I think it was guaranteed win night for the Admirals.

Yes, Milwaukee is on Lake Michigan, sixth largest in the world. BTW, the Caspian Sea is salt water and Lakes Michigan and Huron are really two lobes of the same lake, so it is higher up the list.

And they never played again nor will they unless they meet in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad