Ideal 2014-15 AHL Alignment

wingsfan09

Jun 21, 2014
I'm glad I didn't renew my Griffins season tickets for next year. I'm getting sick of playing the same team every night. We played all of this past season home and away against 13 teams. We didn't get to see Utica which is in the western conference. Why do they set it up that way?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm glad I didn't renew my Griffins season tickets for next year. I'm getting sick of playing the same team every night. We played all of this past season home and away against 13 teams. We didn't get to see Utica which is in the western conference. Why do they set it up that way?

Based on Milwaukee, GR played a typical AHL season schedule. The Admirals played 2 games against Utica for a total of 14 different teams. This was the first time in 7 years that Milwaukee played Rochester, also in the same conference.

BTW; Welcome!

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
makes no sense that syracuse would want to be in the northeast, when they can be with both utica and rochester..... but then again this is the AHL......

People need to realize the conferences have ZERO effect on the schedule. Until the AHL moves teams to the west coast, the midwest teams will face an extremely limited number of teams compared to those in the east.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
People need to realize the conferences have ZERO effect on the schedule. Until the AHL moves teams to the west coast, the midwest teams will face an extremely limited number of teams compared to those in the east.
I think people do realize that. They are saying it is stupid.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
They made it sound like Adirondack would be in the west when they had the presser a few weeks ago. Something like "we'll be seeing quite a few new teams". Utica and Adirondack for a weekend road trip is likely the idea, they're not that far apart. Especially if the teams fly into Albany, Glens Falls is a little under an hour and Utica is just over, maybe 75 min or so.

I personally liked it better in the 90s when we'd see 10 teams fairly often, then the Atlantic Province teams would come through for a game or two. It seemed like we could recognize the opponents better, more rivalries developed, and we knew what to look for. I've got the full AHL live deal and very rarely watch a western game. And the extra round of playoff is too much. Have a knockout tournament in April and early May. Get it over with, plus there'd be more drama and excitement.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They made it sound like Adirondack would be in the west when they had the presser a few weeks ago. Something like "we'll be seeing quite a few new teams". Utica and Adirondack for a weekend road trip is likely the idea, they're not that far apart. Especially if the teams fly into Albany, Glens Falls is a little under an hour and Utica is just over, maybe 75 min or so.

I personally liked it better in the 90s when we'd see 10 teams fairly often, then the Atlantic Province teams would come through for a game or two. It seemed like we could recognize the opponents better, more rivalries developed, and we knew what to look for. I've got the full AHL live deal and very rarely watch a western game. And the extra round of playoff is too much. Have a knockout tournament in April and early May. Get it over with, plus there'd be more drama and excitement.

Actually, I think it's time to force the League to mandate that all clubs must play each other at least twice, whether it's by realignment or master schedule...

no matter who bids to host the League classic, the Eastern fans don't see the Western teams and vice versa, but for two days we have to celebrate all 30?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Actually, I think it's time to force the League to mandate that all clubs must play each other at least twice, whether it's by realignment or master schedule...

no matter who bids to host the League classic, the Eastern fans don't see the Western teams and vice versa, but for two days we have to celebrate all 30?

Holy #$%^ you mean to tell me that hutch and I actually finally agree on something???? Wait!!!!!!!! It's not april is it????????

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is

"CHRDANHUTCH":

How about if we send the cost of the travel to play all 30 teams each season to you to underwrite that cost...........................

That is the only way it would ever happen......................

Just too dam expensive to travel that far to play each team in the league......................

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Holy #$%^ you mean to tell me that hutch and I actually finally agree on something???? Wait!!!!!!!! It's not april is it????????

Happened to me once, Axe - the other boarders wouldn't speak to me for a month. :D

"CHRDANHUTCH":

How about if we send the cost of the travel to play all 30 teams each season to you to underwrite that cost...........................

That is the only way it would ever happen......................

Just too dam expensive to travel that far to play each team in the league......................

You're a spoilsport, Zeke. You're right ........... but you're a spoilsport. :D

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Happened to me once, Axe - the other boarders wouldn't speak to me for a month. :D

"Rumblick":

This is my view on playing the teams in the West...............

Binghamton plays Toronto x2 each season they play Hamilton x2 each year, last year they played Utica 4x, and Rochester 6 or 8 times that is all of the West I need to see.........

I want to see Syracuse, Hershey, WBS, Allentown, Utica (as we used to play them in the Old NAHL league in the 70's) and Rochester......

The rest of the teams even in the East I have no real desire to see them as 2 games with some of them is all I want to see them each season................

The rest of the Western teams I am sure they are good teams with a good loyal fan base, but I have no desire to see them, I want to see the teams I know as I wrote above they are my rivals..................

I would only want to see the Western team is to meet them for the Calder Cup Final Series................

Would love to see a Binghamton Vs Rochester match up in the Calder Cup finals........ Hell I can dream Can't I???????????

Like Baseball used to be before they started inter league play.......

Would make an exception for a Rochester Final Series......

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
"Rumblick":

This is my view on playing the teams in the West...............

Binghamton plays Toronto x2 each season they play Hamilton x2 each year, last year they played Utica 4x, and Rochester 6 or 8 times that is all of the West I need to see.........

I want to see Syracuse, Hershey, WBS, Allentown, Utica (as we used to play them in the Old NAHL league in the 70's) and Rochester......

The rest of the teams even in the East I have no real desire to see them as 2 games with some of them is all I want to see them each season................

The rest of the Western teams I am sure they are good teams with a good loyal fan base, but I have no desire to see them, I want to see the teams I know as I wrote above they are my rivals..................

I would only want to see the Western team is to meet them for the Calder Cup Final Series................

Would love to see a Binghamton Vs Rochester match up in the Calder Cup finals........ Hell I can dream Can't I???????????

Like Baseball used to be before they started inter league play.......

Would make an exception for a Rochester Final Series......

The old NAHL of the 70's had
Binghampton
Mohawk Valley (Utica)
Syracuse
Long Island
Cape Cod
Maine
Johnstown
Philadelphia
Buffalo
Beauce

That was a GREAT "old time" hockey league.
Last time Johnstown won the cup was a 4-0 sweep of the Broome Dusters - ironic.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Operating under the assumption that the whole thing could be tossed under the transcontinental railroad next season (and remembering what we all know - divisions, and even conferences, don't necessarily equate to scheduling), how 'bout we have a little fun for one year?

WEST ( 14 TEAMS ):

South: Charlotte, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Texas

Northwest: Chicago, Grand Rapids, Iowa, Milwaukee, Rockford

Central: Hamilton, Lake Erie, Rochester, Toronto, Utica

EAST ( 16 TEAMS ):

Atlantic: Bridgeport, Hartford, Manchester, Portland, Providence, St. John's, Springfield, Worcester

East: Adirondack, Albany, Binghamton, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Norfolk, Syracuse, Wilkes-Barre.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Eastern Conference
Atlantic - Manchester, Portland, Providence, St. John's, Worcester
Northeast - Adirondack, Albany, Bridgeport, Hartford, Springfield
North - Hamilton, Rochester, Syracuse, Toronto, Utica

Western Conference
East - Binghamton, Hershey, Lake Erie, Lehigh Valley, WB/Scranton
Midwest - Chicago, Grand Rapids, Iowa, Milwaukee, Rockford
South - Charlotte, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Texas

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Atlantic Conference:
Bridgeport
Hartford
Manchester
Portland
Providence
Saint John’s
Springfield
Worcester

Eastern Conference:
Adirondack
Albany
Binghamton
Hershey
Lehigh Valley
Syracuse
Utica
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Central Conference:
Charlotte
Grand Rapids
Hamilton
Lake Erie
Norfolk
Rochester
Toronto

Western Conference:
Chicago
Iowa
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
Rockford
San Antonio
Texas

Go with a four-conference structure and have the playoff format the NHL had proposed in 2011. This better sorts the teams by time zone.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Well I guess I'm already in ok shape then because you are talking to me now.....or is it because you've been there and feel sorry for me??:D

Don't you just hate it when spoilsports come up with logic...he can expect a very witty retort I'm sure.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
The old NAHL of the 70's had
Binghampton Broome Dusters of Binghamton
Mohawk Valley (Utica) Comets
Syracuse Blazers
Long Island Coughers
Cape Cod Cubs then Codders
Maine Nordiques
Johnstown Jets
Philadelphia Firebirds
Buffalo Norseman
Beauce Jaros

That was a GREAT "old time" hockey league.
Last time Johnstown won the cup was a 4-0 sweep of the Broome Dusters - ironic.

"SenorChifles":

That was great hockey back in the old NAHL........

Each team had their own personality in that league, the players gave you what they had...................

Not like today where they play the same system SAD................

I used to love all the fights, not like today where they give you a ton of penalty minutes for nothing, back then you had to earn those minutes..............

Far from the watered down game they play today those games were exciting and entertaining, how I loved those games...................

Back then Hockey was Real Hockey, men were men, cars were real cars not like today a computer with wheels, & the girls were beautiful............

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
"SenorChifles":

That was great hockey back in the old NAHL........

Each team had their own personality in that league, the players gave you what they had...................

Not like today where they play the same system SAD................

I used to love all the fights, not like today where they give you a ton of penalty minutes for nothing, back then you had to earn those minutes..............

Far from the watered down game they play today those games were exciting and entertaining, how I loved those games...................

Back then Hockey was Real Hockey, men were men, cars were real cars not like today a computer with wheels, & the girls were beautiful............

"Old time hockey, Eddie Shore"!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad