Idea to increase trades

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
And why do we want that? Why do you think that's a good thing? You haven't explained that at all.

Did you read the thread title? Why do WE want that? Who is, "We"? I can't speak for anyone else. I personally LIKE seeing an active deadline day. I like seeing teams make the last minute move to fill a perceived hole to make a run at it. So, if the NHL came to me and said, "patnyrnyg, we (this time, "WE" refers to the powers that be in the league, you know, the NHL?) want to increase the number of trades in the league. How would you suggest we go about it?" This would would be my suggestion. Do you understand now?

The cap already doesn't apply to the play-offs.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
SO TEAMS CAN MAKE MORE TRADES AT THE DEADLINE WITHOUT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT THE SALARIES FITTING UNDER THEIR CAP. IT COULD MAKE DEADLINE DAY MORE ACTIVE. I already said that.

And as I already said: cap hits are already reduced at the TDL

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
And as I already said: cap hits are already reduced at the TDL

I'm well aware, but it doesn't mean that every team can take on salary at the deadline, at least take on a large amount. Secondly, the salary the team is trading away is also discounted. So, a team wanting to trade a $2MM player for a $6MM player at the deadline for example. The $2MM they are sending away is likely only taking about $300-400K off their cap, before adding the ~1.4-2MM, the $6MM player counts for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Did you read the thread title? Why do WE want that? Who is, "We"? I can't speak for anyone else. I personally LIKE seeing an active deadline day. I like seeing teams make the last minute move to fill a perceived hole to make a run at it. So, if the NHL came to me and said, "patnyrnyg, we (this time, "WE" refers to the powers that be in the league, you know, the NHL?) want to increase the number of trades in the league. How would you suggest we go about it?" This would would be my suggestion. Do you understand now?

The cap already doesn't apply to the play-offs.

You're telling me stuff every fan knows. I know that the cap doesn't apply in the playoffs but it applies before then, including at the TDL.

We is other readers and posters here. It could also be "why does the NHL want this?" "Why would this make the NHL better?" If you're just posting a monologue and not trying to persuade anyone, what you say makes sense but I don't understand why you bother posting then. I'd assumed that you wanted to discuss your idea with other ppl and talk to them about why it was a good or bad idea, not just read it to yourself in approval. My bad.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Other than helping out Trade Central Media, why do we need more trades?
The best thing for the fan is some team continuity.

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
So, if the NHL came to me and said, "patnyrnyg, we (this time, "WE" refers to the powers that be in the league, you know, the NHL?) want to increase the number of trades in the league. How would you suggest we go about it?"
Nobody would ask this though. It's JUST YOU. Ever get that feeling where you're in the room and no one agrees with you?

Sure, trades are exciting. But we're not heartless. No one should condone uprooting human beings from their friends and family for my fleeting sense of entertainment. Speaking for myself, I'm not that selfish.

Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Trades are at it's lowest these since they introduced the cap.With potentially only 2 teams selling, they're will most likely not be much trades made this trade deadline too.

To increase the number of trades made, I thought about decreasing the cap % of said players traded by a %. Thought about 15-20% (Not sure if that would be too much or not enough to make a difference). Would obviously be a clause that teams could not trade a player then get him back right after.

What you guys think, could it potentially help the number of trades?

Teams can already retain 50% of the cost.

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
3 points for every game would help stop this fabricated parity. #1 on my wish list. I HATE the bonus point

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
You're telling me stuff every fan knows. I know that the cap doesn't apply in the playoffs but it applies before then, including at the TDL.

We is other readers and posters here. It could also be "why does the NHL want this?" "Why would this make the NHL better?" If you're just posting a monologue and not trying to persuade anyone, what you say makes sense but I don't understand why you bother posting then. I'd assumed that you wanted to discuss your idea with other ppl and talk to them about why it was a good or bad idea, not just read it to yourself in approval. My bad.

Let me see if I can help you here. It is really not that complicated.

The OP started a thread about his idea for increasing the number of trades. Do you follow me, so far?

I interpreted that as the OP likes to see trades. Understand?

As I stated, I like to see a busy trade deadline. My idea was something I had mentioned to a friend the day after a very quiet trade deadline day. MIght have been last season or the year before, or even the year before that. Also had discussed that all the talking heads seem to put the blame on the salary cap and that teams looking to make deals just could not make them work with the $. So, it occured to me since the salary cap does not apply in the play-offs, maybe the concept could be extended to the trade deadline. Follow me? It was an idea that came up in a conversation with a friend. Understand?

So, when I saw the thread, the idea popped back into my head and I was simply adding MY IDEA TO INCREASE TRADES as the thread title implies. Still with me?

Does the league NEED more trades? I don't think they NEED them. But, as I said, I as in ME, Patnyrnyg likes to see a busy trade deadline day and I think my idea could help "busy-up", "bizzify", "increase the number of trades" on trade deadline day. By eliminating each teams financial constraints, it could help them acquire what they feel is the missing piece or pieces. Still with me?

Now, if you disagree, that is fine. If you do not like the idea, fine. If you do not want to see more trades, fine. However, the OP started a thread about increasing trades. I hope I have simplified this enough for you. At this point, if you still don't understand, then I can't help you.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Nobody would ask this though. It's JUST YOU. Ever get that feeling where you're in the room and no one agrees with you?
What does this even mean? Yeah, no kidding the NHL is not going to ask me. Did you follow the thread? Go back and read it again.
Sure, trades are exciting. But we're not heartless. No one should condone uprooting human beings from their friends and family for my fleeting sense of entertainment. Speaking for myself, I'm not that selfish.

Yeah, not my concern. These guys knew long before they signed their first contract that trades were part of the business, their wives knew this was part of the business. They also have the means to visit their left behind family and friends on a regular basis. If it was that important to them, they could have tried harder to negotiate a no-trade or no-movement clause into their contracts. Let's not act like this is the same as my old company deciding to move their main call center from Jersey City to Nebraska and telling the remaning employees they could either come to Nebraska and get a moving allowance or lose their job and accept a generous severance package.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Trades don't need to be increased. Maybe teams are content to stand pat because the asking prices for rentals can be astronomical. The NHL certain wouldn't lose viewership with a less entertaining deadline. People would just stop watching that TSN trade deadline show

Mad Brills*

Majority of GM's are chicken**** is why trades don't happen anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad