Idea on Draft Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
If the league deems it unplausible to conduct a regular draft like usual, there needs to be some kind of connection and continuity with holding it in a hotel lobby and only inviting a few players.

Why not have all 30 teams send Bettman their top 45 rankings for the 2005 draft anonymously, and then invite the top 30 or so players that come up on all of the lists? These guys would be locks to be picked by atleast the third round and it would provide less heartbreak.

Seems like a simple concept that maybe didn't even need its own thread, but any thoughts?

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
I guess the one problem would be that GM's can change their mind last minute. They may get information at the end that makes them shy away from a player and it would look pretty bad for the one guy out of the group of 30 to not get drafted in the top 3.

The way they normally hold the draft is fine, they just need to cut down on the garbage time in between picks. Nobody cares about hearing the Stanley Cup champion congratulated 4 dozen times, and the host city doesn't need to be praised every single time you get to the podium. Get up there, announce your pick, give them their jersey, pose for a photo, and get off the stage. If they got rid of the filler the thing would be over in half the time.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
NYR469 said:
teams won't go for that because teams don't want anyone to know who they have ranked where

What you're saying is even though you're sending it in anonymously, teams would still not want to shed light on the players that may not be known. I can see that now. I was just thinking along the lines of the teams not showing their lists.

But there is no easy way to do a half-assed draft like they're saying in a hotel. I mean especially when its supposed to be Crosby's big coming out party.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Balej's Dance said:
But there is no easy way to do a half-assed draft like they're saying in a hotel. I mean especially when its supposed to be Crosby's big coming out party.

How about Carnegie Hall (www.carnegiehall.org)... Background mood music by Yo-Yo Ma... Monologue and Master of Ceremony by Ellen DeGeneres...

Either that or Big Apple Circus (www.bigapplecircus.org)...

;)

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
What you're saying is even though you're sending it in anonymously, teams would still not want to shed light on the players that may not be known. I can see that now. I was just thinking along the lines of the teams not showing their lists.

yeah most of the guys are obvious and teams will agree on, but if a team sees someone as a sleeper in the 2nd or 3rd round that other teams might not be looking at they aren't going to want to draw attention to that guy.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
That's a very good point, also even though these would be "annonymous", they would have to be sent in by each team and if a leak occurred to the other teams I can't imagine the scouting department would be too happy if a team just ahead of them in the draft got a hold of the list and after comparing rankings noticed the thing that you did (but until that point they didn't), that makes you reconsider who you pick).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad