Idea for Powerplay Rule Changes

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So I was bored today and decided to look into how the total number of penalty minutes per season have been trending over the last couple of seasons. I remember there was plenty of discussion during last season about the number of penalties being down and how refs were letting a lot of things go that should have been called, such as embellishment, interference, holding, and hooking.

So, like we thought, the total number of penalty minutes per season have been going down lately.

2010-2011 – 30,140 total penalty minutes
- A 2.8% decrease from the previous year -

2011-2012 – 27,565 total penalty minutes
- A 9.3% decrease from the previous year -

2012-2013 – 16,696 total penalty minutes in only 48 games (on pace for 28,522)
- A 3.5% increase from the previous year -

2013-2014 – 26,895 total penalty minutes
- A 6.0% decrease from the previous year -

2014-2015 – 23,818 total penalty minutes
- A 12.9% decrease from the previous year -

Now obviously this isn't because players are playing more disciplined, they're just getting away with more and I think everyone can agree we want to stay as far away from dead puck era, interference-heavy hockey as we can. I think most of can also agree that an increase in goals would be a good thing.

I don't like the idea of making the ice bigger and I certainly don't think making the goals larger is a smart move either.

So what I was thinking is that a good way to theoretically increase scoring, compensate for refs calling less penalties, and discourage players from taking the risk of hurting their teams by committing these penalties would be to do two things:

1) If a goal is scored during a minor penalty, the powerplay continues for the full two minutes (same as if it were a major)

and

2) If a team scores when a minor penalty call is delayed they should still get the powerplay.

What do you guys think, good idea or no? I know this isn't some miracle solution but I think it could help, even if only a bit. Maybe there's something obvious that makes this stupid that I didn't think of. I'm also not sure if this has been discussed before, if it has been then I didn't see it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I believe this would be rolling back changes made thanks to the 70s Montreal dynasty that ruined teams with the full 2min PP that wasn't cancelled by scoring.

It's for the best they forced that change, giving Gretzky a guaranteed 2 mins in the 80s would have been fully stupid.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I believe this would be rolling back changes made thanks to the 70s Montreal dynasty that ruined teams with the full 2min PP that wasn't cancelled by scoring.

It's for the best they forced that change, giving Gretzky a guaranteed 2 mins in the 80s would have been fully stupid.

So you think this would be a bad idea?

I mean there's no 70's dynasty or Gretzky anymore to take advantage of this and dominate the league.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I think they should just enforce the rules they already have in place. How many times did we see a blatant interference go uncalled last season?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So you think this would be a bad idea?

I mean there's no 70's dynasty or Gretzky anymore to take advantage of this and dominate the league.

No I'm fine with it. We don't have any super-talents breaking the game or all-time great dynasties floating around. Only possible downside would be making refs more reluctant to call penalties.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think they should just enforce the rules they already have in place. How many times did we see a blatant interference go uncalled last season?

Yeah, but how?

I would love for them to just do their damn jobs, but I doubt that'll happen so this is a way to make up for that.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Just call interference penalties again. I remember a time when you could chip the puck in from the blue line and if the defender cut you off, it was interference. Now, if you chip it in, they can ride you into the boards with no call.

Voracek would be wholly unstoppable if they made this change

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
lol, could you imagine how much worse our team would have been over the past 3 years with our D if those rules were still enforced? Ugh.

Actually, it's always frustrated me how poorly our big, slow defenders were at capitalizing on this trend.

Like that's something Grossmann could have actually been useful for, but he never regularly stood guys up at the blueline when it got chipped behind him.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
I voted no. The main reason being that if a team were awarded the full 2 minutes regardless of how many goals are scored during that time, even less penalties would be called. A minor penalty could become a huge momentum swing for a deadly PP, so refs would be hesitant to call a minor that could potentially give a team 2-3+ goals.

I think the best solution is to call penalties by the book. Interference is the one that could really turn the tides, making the game more entertaining and increasing scoring.

Along the lines of increasing scoring, the league should also decrease the size of goalie pads. The pad technology these days would allow for this without compromising player safety.
The people that propose increasing the size of the goal crack me up. Just decrease pad size.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Totally agree about the interference. Every time a forward dumps the puck in he is getting slowed up by the defensemen. There should be zero contact allowed in the situation. I dont care that slowing the forward down results in less injuries to defensemen. Put the onus on the defensemen to avoid the hit. Another reason scoring is down is the amount of shot blocking. Not sure there is anything that can be done for that though.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
So I was bored today and decided to look into how the total number of penalty minutes per season have been trending over the last couple of seasons. I remember there was plenty of discussion during last season about the number of penalties being down and how refs were letting a lot of things go that should have been called, such as embellishment, interference, holding, and hooking.

So, like we thought, the total number of penalty minutes per season have been going down lately.

2010-201130,140 total penalty minutes
- A 2.8% decrease from the previous year -

2011-201227,565 total penalty minutes
- A 9.3% decrease from the previous year -

2012-201316,696 total penalty minutes in only 48 games (on pace for 28,522)
- A 3.5% increase from the previous year -

2013-201426,895 total penalty minutes
- A 6.0% decrease from the previous year -

2014-201523,818 total penalty minutes
- A 12.9% decrease from the previous year -

Now obviously this isn't because players are playing more disciplined, they're just getting away with more and I think everyone can agree we want to stay as far away from dead puck era, interference-heavy hockey as we can. I think most of can also agree that an increase in goals would be a good thing.

I don't like the idea of making the ice bigger and I certainly don't think making the goals larger is a smart move either.

So what I was thinking is that a good way to theoretically increase scoring, compensate for refs calling less penalties, and discourage players from taking the risk of hurting their teams by committing these penalties would be to do two things:

1) If a goal is scored during a minor penalty, the powerplay continues for the full two minutes (same as if it were a major)

and

2) If a team scores when a minor penalty call is delayed they should still get the powerplay.

What do you guys think, good idea or no? I know this isn't some miracle solution but I think it could help, even if only a bit. Maybe there's something obvious that makes this stupid that I didn't think of. I'm also not sure if this has been discussed before, if it has been then I didn't see it.

Well... Yeah, but...

Do you think a change of rules would really help? Dont you think teams are just bad at current rules? And first the teams have to improve, and then we could also probably change the rules? :sarcasm: Sorry I just fell in love with some "logic" I saw on this board lately :laugh:

Hashtag Berube

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The only change i suggest is giving a team the powerplay if they miss the penalty shot. The offence to cause this is usually worse than a standard minor penalty so i'd say a slightly harsher penalty is due.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad