Idea for more scoring: penalty shot before every power play

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
Would this work?

If the NHL isn't interested in calling more penalties, why don't they make the penalties called more exciting?

The player that was wronged gets a penalty shot, and if he doesn't score, his team then gets a regular two minute power play.

Too complicated? A slap in the face of tradition? Let me know.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Would this work?

If the NHL isn't interested in calling more penalties, why don't they make the penalties called more exciting?

The player that was wronged gets a penalty shot, and if he doesn't score, his team then gets a regular two minute power play.

Too complicated? A slap in the face of tradition? Let me know.

Nope. Too complicated.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Counter proposal: Each team starts the game tied 10-10. At the end of each period, both teams get an additional 5 goals. Scoring would be through the roof!

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I know people want more goals, but ideas like these are... :facepalm:

Counter proposal: Each team starts the game tied 10-10. At the end of each period, both teams get an additional 5 goals. Scoring would be through the roof!

lol :laugh:

KreiderHouseRules*

I like the outside-the-box thinking but it's too much IMO.

Perhaps when a team is already shorthanded, if they take a second penalty, they can choose either be down 5 on 3 or face a penalty shot.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Really dumb.

Can we make a separate forum for the "need more goals" people?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sorry, OP, but pass on this one.

IMO, just "more goals" created by gimmicks isn't exactly what the NHL needs. A more exciting product that highlights player skill and creativity is.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Penalty shots should only happen when they are warranted. Shootouts should go away forever too.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Each goal counts six points with a extra point shootout to follow. Also 3 points for hitting the post or crossbar, and two points to the defense if they kill off a 5-3 PP

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Something to increase goal scoring without killing the spirit of the game is to "change" the goalposts/crossbar structure of the net to improve the % of shots hitting the posts and going in. I don't know what is the average numbers of pucks that hit the post over a game but these shots just rarely ends up as a goal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo the game will be healthier when we get more scoring 5 on 5, with higher quality goals. Boosting scoring by emphasizing special teams seems forced and will just lead to more diving and puts a bigger focus on refs to determine the outcome.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Trim goalie equipment call obstruction and hooking fairly. That's all we need for scoring to get back to reasonable levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad