OT: Icelandic Chant at Oilers games?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So I've been watching some sport events the past few months and I've seen this chant which originated from the Euro Cup Icelandic supporters (the Minnesota Vikings football team has also adopted it). I was thinking that we could do a similar chant at Oilers games. Maybe strike some fear in our opponents' eyes ;)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So I've been watching some sport events the past few months and I've seen this chant which originated from the Euro Cup Icelandic supporters (the Minnesota Vikings football team has also adopted it). I was thinking that we could do a similar chant at Oilers games. Maybe strike some fear in our opponents' eyes ;)

this could be a fun thread

snow balls fights during the game

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hockey really needs chants. It is by far one of worst crowd experiences of any major sports (tied with CFL). NFL fans are on their feet making a ton of noise the entire game. Football is Europe is just nuts and fans are chanting the majority of the time. Hell even Euro hockey is lively

Hockey is only lively in the stands during goals, so 4-5 times a game for 30 seconds. Otherwise its so dull and you can hear a pin drop rest of game. I always wondered how to get a Euro style chant in Rogers. Maybe on Reddit/HF/twitter

Maybe not a copy of a chat, an original one tho

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Minny does it for the Vikings, the state has a rich Scandinavian heritage and plus, it's football, crowds are always bananas there. Zero chance it would ever work or be done in Edmonton.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Why not go full euro-mode.....

Imagine this in the arena....this would strike some fear in our opponents.

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Icelandic chant? Nah...

All we need to do is get back into the playoffs and get the classic "LET'S go OI-lers!" *clap, clap, clap-clap-clap* going at full blast while Kassian destroys Keith Tkachuk and McDavid waltzes around Giordano for the game-winning goal in the Battle of Alberta.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
You mean Scottish club Motherwell's chant that the Icelandic team emulated.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why not go full euro-mode.....

Imagine this in the arena....this would strike some fear in our opponents.

This is a strange continent. If something ever happened here they'd call out the police, RCMP, Army, and every tactical squad on hand because somebody had fireworks and flags..

Which would have been confiscated upon entry.

If you throw a jersey on the ice here theres an investigation and public enquiry..:sarcasm::popcorn:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Icelandic chant? Nah...

All we need to do is get back into the playoffs and get the classic "LET'S go OI-lers!" *clap, clap, clap-clap-clap* going at full blast while Kassian destroys Keith Tkachuk and McDavid waltzes around Giordano for the game-winning goal in the Battle of Alberta.

Most of the fanbase hasn't heard this. Would need a video showing them what to do.

Next to a youtube on what is this thing called BOA or playoffs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Icelandic chant? Nah...

I never did like Keith Tkachuk either.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hockey really needs chants. It is by far one of worst crowd experiences of any major sports (tied with CFL). NFL fans are on their feet making a ton of noise the entire game. Football is Europe is just nuts and fans are chanting the majority of the time. Hell even Euro hockey is lively

Hockey is only lively in the stands during goals, so 4-5 times a game for 30 seconds. Otherwise its so dull and you can hear a pin drop rest of game. I always wondered how to get a Euro style chant in Rogers. Maybe on Reddit/HF/twitter

Maybe not a copy of a chat, an original one tho

Maybe the reason this doesn't happen in hockey is because the tickets are so expensive. The kind of people that can afford them every game aren't the ones most likely to be singing and chanting.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe the reason this doesn't happen in hockey is because the tickets are so expensive. The kind of people that can afford them every game aren't the ones most likely to be singing and chanting.

This for the win. The bedlam one see's in football stadiums is largely working class borne. It isn't people in suits checking their stock profiles every 5mins while the game is going on and that complain about crowd noise because they can't hear their cellphone call or perusing what to all order on their premium experience menus.

The NA sporting experience is all about suds, food, lots of food, and gazing mindlessly at bigger and bigger video displays. Basically everything that occurs here in arena/stadia is a disconnection from the game vs what takes place in Europe or in Soccer everywhere else in the world.

To me a profound disconnection occurred when other people started talking so much about whats missing in this or that stadium or arena. It really magnified to me that it isn't at all about whats going on on the ice anymore. Its what kind of franks, burgers, beers, concessions they have and the fancy premium seating and splashy electronics.

We've gotten away from the actual sporting game on this continent. Its all just become coddled entertainment. With smorgasboard options. Complete disengagement, moreso with SN lounges, suites, viewing lounges, arena theaters ect. Rogers has 1200 TV monitors. Think about that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This for the win. The bedlam one see's in football stadiums is largely working class borne. It isn't people in suits checking their stock profiles every 5mins while the game is going on and that complain about crowd noise because they can't hear their cellphone call or perusing what to all order on their premium experience menus.

The NA sporting experience is all about suds, food, lots of food, and gazing mindlessly at bigger and bigger video displays. Basically everything that occurs here in arena/stadia is a disconnection from the game vs what takes place in Europe or in Soccer everywhere else in the world.

To me a profound disconnection occurred when other people started talking so much about whats missing in this or that stadium or arena. It really magnified to me that it isn't at all about whats going on on the ice anymore. Its what kind of franks, burgers, beers, concessions they have and the fancy premium seating and splashy electronics.

We've gotten away from the actual sporting game on this continent. Its all just become coddled entertainment. With smorgasboard options. Complete disengagement, moreso with SN lounges, suites, viewing lounges, arena theaters ect. Rogers has 1200 TV monitors. Think about that.

They should just tear down these fancy stadiums and build outdoor rinks with standing room grandstands for a nickel a person so we can concentrate on the game. Oh right, the players sign multi year multi million dollar contracts that need to be paid for somehow, meaning the team has to generate millions in revenue per game, those money grubbing ******** catering to the filthy rich. How dare they.

We need to turn the clock back to 1946 when players had second jobs and fans cheered like lunatics at all times because of the goings on on the ice. Or did they.

Watch some old tape. They didn't.

Rexall was always a mausoleum, back into the 70's except at playoff time and that is well documented not to mention I've been going to the games with season tix since 1977 and know how quiet it is there except at certain times and playoffs which haven't happened in a decade. But it's not because of "rich fans".

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Why icelandic not something from Canadaian aboriginals.

How about not. We don't need scripted chants. Nothing wrong with fans spontaneously cheering for what happens on the ice when things are actually interesting enough to cheer for and not the excruciating bore-fest hockey has become.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I always liked the "here we go, Oilers, here we go!" singing chant from the 80s. Apparently Messier invented it and the fanbase took it over. Time to bring it back?

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
its amazing how much a rowdy crows will pump up a team. sadly, katz wants to market to families and the non rowdy crowd so, theres no chance any of this will happen.

lets go oilers and here we go oilers and those kinds of cheers are so archaic

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
its amazing how much a rowdy crows will pump up a team. sadly, katz wants to market to families and the non rowdy crowd so, theres no chance any of this will happen

God forbid families and people who want to enjoy a hockey game live dare want to attend a hockey game. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00