Ice time as a motivating factor

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I rarely post, but I've been reading some of the reactions to the Ryan and Merrill signings, and I wanted to add something. I get why some aren't happy, but I really don't see a downside.

Pretty much all coaches will tell you that ice time is an important motivational tool, maybe THE most important tool now that douchebag coaches are being outed. Most good teams have a few players who will give 100% regardless, but the rest need something more to bring out their best. That's usually ice time. Theoretically, more IT might = better stats. Better stats might = more $. More $ + increased role might = a happier player. A win for everyone.

Unfortunately, the Wings aren't close to having the level of talent necessary for that. Therefore, I think Yzerman's strategy to sign players like Ryan and Merrill to cost-effective contracts is a good one. As some have pointed out, they're (marginally, at least) better players than most of what we have now, but, IMHO, not so much better that younger players have no hope of an increased role. If one of our youngsters can't beat out Ryan or Merrill, then how good are they REALLY? I think it's pissing on the pyramids, team culture-wise, to be handing out playing time without it being earned.

But I'm kinda stupid and wrong a lot, too, lol. Thoughts?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Stevie learned that if you throw a whole bunch of inexperienced players out there you get a total poop show.

Let the kids earn their ice time. I'm OK with having a few aging vets on 1 or 2 year contracts.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think you are spot on man:

Players reason's for signing short term deals with us:

1) Opportunity - More playing time than on a contender. Thus more stats, thus more money in future, like you said
2) Tight UFA market. Money is tight right now, there probably are not a lot of teams blowing the bank. So limited options anyway
3) Yzerman has some personal cache as a quality person, and great GM. I bet he is super honest with these guys. He probably tells them this:

"We need you on the team, you will get good playing time. Our young kids are good and need mentors. If you excel with us, we will resign you for more money later. If we end up with young kids taking over for you, well then you will get lots of playing time here and can parlay that into $ on a new team. Win for us, win for you."

Detroit's reasons for short term signings.
Keep our options open for positions for prospects.
Short term deals can be traded to contenders for assets.

Basically Riskless or us. Great Opportunity for the players coming in here.
Top 4 and Top 6 positions open to people who can excel. On a year with all the teams not shelling out big bucks.
Those perks are attractive!

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think you're bang on

And it isn't frustrating because the contracts fit the situation in terms of length and cap hit and it isn't a lifetime deal for career bottom 6 players like Helm, Abdelkader, etc.

There is an obvious timeline with these deals and now that Holland and Babcock aren't here, we know players are a lot more likely to get IT and opportunity based on merit rather than age

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I rarely post, but I've been reading some of the reactions to the Ryan and Merrill signings, and I wanted to add something. I get why some aren't happy, but I really don't see a downside.

Pretty much all coaches will tell you that ice time is an important motivational tool, maybe THE most important tool now that douchebag coaches are being outed. Most good teams have a few players who will give 100% regardless, but the rest need something more to bring out their best. That's usually ice time. Theoretically, more IT might = better stats. Better stats might = more $. More $ + increased role might = a happier player. A win for everyone.

Unfortunately, the Wings aren't close to having the level of talent necessary for that. Therefore, I think Yzerman's strategy to sign players like Ryan and Merrill to cost-effective contracts is a good one. As some have pointed out, they're (marginally, at least) better players than most of what we have now, but, IMHO, not so much better that younger players have no hope of an increased role. If one of our youngsters can't beat out Ryan or Merrill, then how good are they REALLY? I think it's pissing on the pyramids, team culture-wise, to be handing out playing time without it being earned.

But I'm kinda stupid and wrong a lot, too, lol. Thoughts?
Good post, but I think you miss the final piece to it.
You do not have enough icetime to give around.
If you have 4 centres and 2 first line centres get 20 min each and 2 last line centres get 10 min each, that is 60 min.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad