Post-Game Talk: Ice Pigeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
A Wes McCauley special.
And he's "well-respected amongst his peers". People think he's cool for his stupid penalty mic schtick, but he's just as inconsistent and bad as the rest.

Team played good. Special teams and Jarry made the difference.

Wish Gallant didn't start playing with the Tom Renney Line Generator in the 3rd. I understand benching Blais but the lines were all over the map when we had been playing fine 5v5 with the initial lines.

Also wish Gallant would deploy the guys a little better at the end of periods. Blais should never be out there in the last couple minutes. You don't always have to roll 4 lines.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Wes McCauley is an embarrassment he's pure garbage
He’s worked the Stanley cup finals almost every year for the past 10 seasons and is the most respected official in the game. He straight up missed the call. The only way I think that goes uncalled is he might have thought the Pens player got the puck first right as he initially dove down. The NHL should re-write that rule though because it’s dumb that if you “get the puck” you can take a player down. USA hockey that basically runs all youth hockey has the rule that if you dive and take a player out it’s an auto penalty. The NHL should consider that for sure.

Reactions: CasusBelli

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Loss is 100% on Gerard for benching Krav
Wrong.....the loss is on Turk I agree with but only because he should have used his TO when they were gassed in the 2nd and had just iced the puck......that was the HF Turning Point IMO . We had our chances earlier and failed to bury them early and Penguins are Penguins and never quit with Crosby as a leader .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Only watched the 3rd
..trochek and kreider looked good...not much else going on
We were good early.....Turk blew the game IMO....should have called the TO . That changed it all . Panarin was gassed latter part of second for the most part and that was like playing shorthanded and he probably gave the puck away about 4 times with high quality no look passes to the Pens .....We have lots of excuses but we should have clipped the Pens early . Oh well...a nice run .

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I don't like dumping on Blais. He was a good player last year before Slewban got him. I think it's sad that his career was possibly ruined on a dirty play like that. It's a shame.
Unfortunately Blais probably did not have a step to lose in his game . I would send him down or trade him . I'm sure more ice for the kids and Rydahl will be more beneficial for us . Also....I would go right to Gauthier and inform him that Blais is gone/going because he would not or could not play the robust style we needed from a 4th line guy .....a face to face with a dose of hard reality and hope it registers. Cuylee and Othmann both can replace them next season or this season for that matter.....in fact I get Cuylee in the games ASAP for Blais .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Hopefully we can grab a win vs the Islanders. My only beef with this team is that, when Gallant was hired, Drury talked about players slotting where they belong. If that actually happened Goodrow would be on the 3rd line center or 4th line, Brodzinski would be either 4th or Hartford, Vesey 4th line. We are missing 1 player for our top 9, otherwise it should be

Panarin Zib Kravtsov
Kreider Trochek ???
Laf Chytil Kakko
Vesey Goodrow Gauthier

I can handle Vesey with Kreider and Trochek, and Brodzinski taking that spot on the 4th line. Does this seem unreasonable to anyone???
Maybe a cameo appearance by Cuylee on the 3rd line at LW and switch Laf to 2nd line RW for a few games....give us a different look and a bit of a bruiser type guy with Chytil line . Laf has to or should be playing in the top 6 and doing that on his wrong wing looks at the moment to be the only way it happens although I would prefer Kreider move over and leave Laf on his natural wing .....I hope they can figure it out . The way things are shaping up....Laf might be the kid that is shipped out if they go hog wild on trades .

Othmann's game in the Junior event will make them rethink things for that left side .....it is shaping up to be a log jam with Panarin-CK Laf-Cuylee-Othmann-Blais,

DId you get tickets for any of the Junior Tournament games ?

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I really wanted Blais to work out. And I feel bad for him and his injury. He might not be fully recovered from the injury but that's no excuse to be a bonehead.

I just don't see any signs he is going to work out here. I think it's probably time to take the loss and move on.

Reactions: bobbop

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Blaming refs is not the best. We failed to take advantage of a million chances we had and are responsible for making that missed call so decisive.

Reactions: Holocene

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Maybe a cameo appearance by Cuylee on the 3rd line at LW and switch Laf to 2nd line RW for a few games....give us a different look and a bit of a bruiser type guy with Chytil line . Laf has to or should be playing in the top 6 and doing that on his wrong wing looks at the moment to be the only way it happens although I would prefer Kreider move over and leave Laf on his natural wing .....I hope they can figure it out . The way things are shaping up....Laf might be the kid that is shipped out if they go hog wild on trades .

Othmann's game in the Junior event will make them rethink things for that left side .....it is shaping up to be a log jam with Panarin-CK Laf-Cuylee-Othmann-Blais,

DId you get tickets for any of the Junior Tournament games ?
I went to the Austria Germany pre tourney game in Antigonish but I'm too busy at this time with hockey to go to much else. Did you?

Reactions: leetch99

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Wrong.....the loss is on Turk I agree with but only because he should have used his TO when they were gassed in the 2nd and had just iced the puck......that was the HF Turning Point IMO . We had our chances earlier and failed to bury them early and Penguins are Penguins and never quit with Crosby as a leader .
They made a rule change a couple years ago, the team that iced the puck isn't allowed to call a timeout.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Perhaps someone could use a data driven approach to determine how often the refs call penalties in certain situations and when. Intigrate some game situation into that, like score, how many penalties have been called, how many on each team. Break it down by which refs have tendencies to do what. Stuff that may make a big difference in say one important game, like a playoff game. I don't know, I am just a simple man without the vast resources of the Rangers.
add when due for a tv timeout

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Jarry was the difference that game. On to the next one.

We better beat the isles.

Special teams too. Right now PP1 is predictable and PP2 a work in progress. The PK let in 2 which can't happen if you want to win tight games.

Chychryn is tantalizing, he would help round out this team's d core and offense, but his injuries are a concern especially for the price GMBA demands.

Reactions: Ruggs225

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
It feels like the 3 things that make this Rangers team very hard to beat, night in, night out are:

1: Igor. He was good last night but not great. I thought he lost his angle on the Malkin goal and was caught moving on the Rust tip in. The Crosby breakaway, I can't fault him much on that one, Cindy has done that to alot of great goalies.

2: Our power play. Basically MIka and Panarin making plays. Mika is fighting it right now. He's a streaky player. When he's on he's one of the best centers in the league so we just have to live with it but we could've used a play from him last night. ALso, I like the way Panarin has played during the streak but I thought he couldv'e passed the puck a little more effectively last night (in lieu of some of the shots he took).

3: The kid line. When they're on create a match up night mare for opponents. Last night they looked good early but disappeared last half of the game. And as previously mentioned, that shift in the third where they came out on the ice and no one gave KAM an outlet to pass it to was not good. Hopefully a coachable moment that they learn form.

Gotta beat the Piles tomorrow night.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Haven't read this thread yet, but my 2 cents, sorry if said already.
Sammy just may have earned a near permanent spot in the stands.
We were fortunate enough to score an early goal, played GREAT and literally did everything right EXCEPT not taking at least a 2 goal lead when they had the chance. PP did them in big time.
You cant expect to win in Pitt by taking stupid penalties and expecting the refs to NOT be stupid. How in the hell did they stop play when WE had possession going down the ice, and if the refs saw that the net was off, why in the hell didn't they see Carter crushing Lindgren is what caused the net to be off?
Just a typical shit show by the refs in Pittsburgh.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Thought they played a solid game for the most part. Jarry really shut the door in the second and that was the difference. If they break through and make it 2-0 or even 3-0 I think the Rangers take it down.

They had some really great possession shifts but just couldnt finish.

Man, do I hate the Penguins when they score on home ice. Some of the most annoying fans in the league. Up there with the Devils and Montreal

Sammy jinxed the Rangers when he just HAD to say they were #1 in the league on the road PK. Pens scored within seconds after. And then again. Thanks.

The other Sammy, I dont know what else to say. That deal is aging like an apple on a forest floor. May go down as one of the worst in Rangers history.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t think Jarry made any real crazy saves. He was just solid. The posts more than anything were the difference. He was beaten clean multiple times and got lucky. We should have been up 2 or 3-0 at the end of the first and thru the first half of the second.

Loss stings still game we should have had

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad