Value of: Ian Cole

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Any interest in Ian Cole?

30 years old, LHD, ideally suited to the 2nd or 3rd pairing, one more year after this one at $4.25 million

He can be a gritty hard-nosed asset, minimal scoring - I have a soft spot for the guy but he's costing Colorado games lately with his decision making and mental laziness, and wondering if there's a team who could use him for depth on a playoff push.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If he's costing the Avs games, the extra year on his contract and his play probably pushes his value more into the "what do we add to move him" category than the "what can we get for him category".

Especially since McKenzie is reporting that GMs are saying "it’s a great time if you’re looking for a defenceman. Because there are a lot of teams who are ready to shed defencemen...". Its probably a buyers market for D and Cole isn't the kind of D that usually has a ton of value, especially with his contract.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
That's valid. I don't think he's reaching negative territory yet - he's finally adding something on the scoresheet, and he's 3rd in the league in +/- (I know), so he's not completely hapless

I actually don't hate him on the Avs roster when we're fully healthy, but with him here and Makar out, Bednar is relying on his "experience" instead of playing better, younger guys in clutch moments, and I think our D group would be better without the option to rely on Cole, because he hasn't proven to be reliable here

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

30 years old, LHD, ideally suited to the 2nd or 3rd pairing, one more year after this one at $4.25 million

He can be a gritty hard-nosed asset, minimal scoring - I have a soft spot for the guy but he's costing Colorado games lately with his decision making and mental laziness, and wondering if there's a team who could use him for depth on a playoff push.

npxjNal.jpg

Reactions: Weast and hooverdam

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I wouldn't trade him, he's too valuable. With those concrete skates he wears, he might know where Jimmy Hoffa is.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

3rd or 4th

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

You should definitely become a sales rep :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
The Avs are a playoff team, wouldn't they want him for playoff depth?

I'm not as worried about him come playoff time, and I've seen him do some clutch things during the playoffs and late in regular season matches, so its not a question of effort or toughness with Cole, its his abilities and his common sense that worry me

Realistically his awful pinch with 1:30 left in a tie game last night resulted in a Carolina win, and its that sort of thing that Avs fans are justifiably tired of

He'd be a good depth pickup for a young team aiming for the playoffs and lacking defensive depth. I feel like when Colorado is fully healthy, our best lineup will have Cole eating nachos

You should definitely become a sales rep :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Lol I am one son, and a successful one. Who knew being honest was appealing?

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Cheers.jpg

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Trade Schultz for Cole?

I'd do that.
Not the type of RD I'd prefer, but I think there is merit to adding a RS to balance the group.

Honestly though, the way Bednar seems to have a bent against Zadorov and seems to sit him at a whim whenever EJ is in the lineup, I think Zadorov is the one who ends up leaving for a bigger return.

Would be the wrong choice IMO, but something has to give with that dynamic

Reactions: ownal

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I think they'll follow the Stuart route and buy out his final year. hopefully Byram and/or Timmins will be ready for next season and so Cole will be too rich of a #7 so Sakic will simply take him out as I don't see anyone in their right mind being interested in him, now or even less in the next offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad