I wouldn't trade Wotherspoon for Erixon

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In my opinion Brodie, at this current moment is a solid #3 guy, who is projecting to be a #2.

By playing with Giordano, Brodie is essentially allowed to jump into the play more often, ect. He can afford to take risks, as well as, make mistakes because Giordano will fill a lot of those lapses.

If you paired Brodie with a guy like Smid on the top pairing, would he still look like a #2? I don't think he would.

So, by saying they would be a 'top-pair' on a contender, you are saying they are an established #1, and #2 guy. Where what is really happening is, Giordano is carrying the pairing, not to say Brodie isn't good, but without a guy like Gio, I don't think he would look nearly as good.

Doesn't a guy being a #2 guy basically already imply that he needs a #1 guy to play with him in order to be effective? If that wasn't the case, he'd be a #1 guy.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
From a post on CP:

This has been asked quite frequently by a number of outside fans.
Is Brodie being carried by Gio's outstanding play? Is Brodie the key in Gio's turnaround year?

Some simple numbers to answer:

Brodie w/o Gio: Goals-for %: 40.4%. Possession (corsi) %: 47.4%
Gio w/o Brodie: Goals-for %: 44.4%. Possession %: 47.7%

Together: GF%: 56.9% Possession %: 57.6%

Match made in heaven.

Brodie and Giordano compliment each other tremendously well. They make each other better and it's fair to say, neither would be as effective if paired with someone else on the Flames defense core.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I do agree that Brodie is probably considered a very good #3 right now, but like Anglesmith said he is already facing the opposing teams toughest players and he's doing very well at it. Basically, he is playing on the top pairing and succeeding quite well at the task.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do people think that it gets harder to play on the top pairing when your roster is a championship contender, or do they think that Brodie's play holds us back from being a championship contender?

I would argue that of all the things that contribute to our lack of success, Brodie's play is not one of them, and that if anything, when our team becomes stronger, playing those top pairing minutes will only get easier.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
was one of the bigger Tspoon supporter back when no one knew who he was, glad to see him perform like I thought he would!

His mobility and positioning will make him stay in the NHL for a long time.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Do people think that it gets harder to play on the top pairing when your roster is a championship contender, or do they think that Brodie's play holds us back from being a championship contender?

I would argue that of all the things that contribute to our lack of success, Brodie's play is not one of them, and that if anything, when our team becomes stronger, playing those top pairing minutes will only get easier.

You make a very good point. He's playing great on the top pairing. Regardless of which team you're on, you can't take that fact away. I would say the only reason some might hold back on calling him a #2 was his inconsistent play during the start of the season.

He went from playing great after Bouwmeester was traded and essentially taking his role to playing like crap back to playing great again. If he starts next season with how he plays now he's a legit #2 (though I think so already).

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Brodie is great and all, but if he has any bust factor it's in a similar manner to John Michael Liles, great puck moving D, smooth skater, a bit of a liability in his own zone. It kind of held Liles back from being in that next tier.

ummm-no.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wotherspoon has been somewhat sheltered, but keep in mind the competition he is facing is still a notch above what he was facing on the Heat. Also Hartley keeps throwing more and more minutes at the guy as of late, and he keeps elevating his game. This is why I am just so impressed with him, and why I think he can definitely become a top 4 dman.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I am having a huge smile on my face reading about how good Brodie is but guys, this is a thread about Wotherspoon and Erixon, yet the two names have not been mentioned as much as Brodie. xD Our defense is looking great though! So much... pessimism. ;)

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
One point that I wanted to make was that Wotherspoon has literally only played 12 NHL games.

Whose better through their first 12 games of their NHL careers? Wotherspoon now, or Brodie from 3 years ago.

I'm not even sure what the answer is, but I think it puts in perspective the ascension and potential of T-Spoon.

I for one am so confident in the development abilities of the Flames organization with their young guys that's hard to believe. Who would've thought we'd ever be saying that right now?

But ever since Brent Sutter was gone in concert with Iginla and Bouw going (I love Iggy and I hope he wins the cup with Boston and then eventually comes home, but) the culture has changed so dramtically.

If the FLames were still trying to win with the old core would Backlund even be in the NHL? Now he's developing into one of the better two way centermen in the NHL with some mentions of the Selke even.

Would Brodie have flourished to this degree?

I mean obviously Backlund is playing better because he's been healthy and given a consistent opportunity, but make no mistake this has a lot to do with culture to.

All of sudden these guys from D.Sutter's era look like stars (Backlund and Brodie) not to mention all the Feaster gems.

I'm just giddy for 2-3 years from now when Klimchuk and Poirier are getting a legit look, not to mention Gaudreau, perhaps even Jankowski and Baerstchi (the forgotten leper).

It's late.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes but like I said, I don't think hes a #2 guy, yet. I think he looks like a #2 guy because of how good Gio has been on his pairing.

So what you're saying is that he's only a good #2 defenceman when he's playing with a true #1 defenceman (how Gio has been playing). Again, that sounds exactly like the definition of a #2 defenceman. :huh:

Most #2 defencemen around the league would look significantly worse without their #1-calibre partner around. And if they wouldn't, then that would by definition make them a #1.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So what you're saying is that he's only a good #2 defenceman when he's playing with a true #1 defenceman (how Gio has been playing). Again, that sounds exactly like the definition of a #2 defenceman. :huh:

Most #2 defencemen around the league would look significantly worse without their #1-calibre partner around. And if they wouldn't, then that would by definition make them a #1.

I have been on the sauce all night so my reply wont be the most articulate, speaking of which why are we both still on hf at this time? :laugh:

I am saying he has yet to be a #2 guy period. Gio has carried a ton of the load for that pairing and it allows Brodie to an extent, pick his spots. I agree that most #2 D would look worse without a #1 guy on their line, but still, there is a difference between an established #2 who can carry a line on his own, and be a steady top pairing presence, and a guy who while good, is clearly the 'accent' to his pairing so to speak.

Id love to see some info on Brodie's Corsi while Gio was out.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
From a post on CP:

This has been asked quite frequently by a number of outside fans.
Is Brodie being carried by Gio's outstanding play? Is Brodie the key in Gio's turnaround year?

Some simple numbers to answer:

Brodie w/o Gio: Goals-for %: 40.4%. Possession (corsi) %: 47.4%
Gio w/o Brodie: Goals-for %: 44.4%. Possession %: 47.7%

Together: GF%: 56.9% Possession %: 57.6%

Match made in heaven.

Brodie and Giordano compliment each other tremendously well. They make each other better and it's fair to say, neither would be as effective if paired with someone else on the Flames defense core.

Here you go, II.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
One point that I wanted to make was that Wotherspoon has literally only played 12 NHL games.

Whose better through their first 12 games of their NHL careers? Wotherspoon now, or Brodie from 3 years ago.

I'm not even sure what the answer is, but I think it puts in perspective the ascension and potential of T-Spoon.

I for one am so confident in the development abilities of the Flames organization with their young guys that's hard to believe. Who would've thought we'd ever be saying that right now?

But ever since Brent Sutter was gone in concert with Iginla and Bouw going (I love Iggy and I hope he wins the cup with Boston and then eventually comes home, but) the culture has changed so dramtically.

If the FLames were still trying to win with the old core would Backlund even be in the NHL? Now he's developing into one of the better two way centermen in the NHL with some mentions of the Selke even.

I mean obviously Backlund is playing better because he's been healthy and given a consistent opportunity, but make no mistake this has a lot to do with culture to.

All of sudden these guys from D.Sutter's era look like stars (Backlund and Brodie) not to mention all the Feaster gems.

I'm just giddy for 2-3 years from now when Klimchuk and Poirier are getting a legit look, not to mention Gaudreau, perhaps even Jankowski and Baerstchi (the forgotten leper).

It's late.

Both Brodie and Backs were good defensive energy guys under Sutter. They've flourished more offensively under Hartely though

JulianHopper*

Of course you wouldn't trade Tyler Wotherspoon for Tim Erixon.

You would never trade a prospect with upside like Wotherspoon for another that's been around for 3-4 years now. Also Erixon didn't want to play for the Flames which is fine but we shouldn't trade our good prospect for someone that hasn't been able to crack an NHL lineup in 4 seasons.

Tyler Wotherspoon is like a young Regehr and he'll play next season for the Flames.

JulianHopper*

It's late.

I've been a TJ Brodie fan right from the beginning and he hasn't disappointed. I didn't think at the time that he should be down in Abbotsford either but up on the big team here.

Brodie's been improving and getting better with every game right back to the beginning of the season.

Pretty much the same player as Mark Giordano but a bit smaller. He'll more than likely fill out and get bigger as he gets older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad