I think there's an issue with the practise schedule/conditioning/sports science

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
In 2015, I know this team got super into sports science. Dr Jeremy Bettle left at the beginning of this season, he was the head of that department. I also remember hearing multiple times on the radio how they now favour short practises and basically more rest. They've changed how they've practised and something has changed within the sports science department.

The reason I'm mentioning this now is because it's clear this team has some sort of conditioning issue or to be more general, a 'game intensity' issue. They don't seem to be able to carry that intensity game to game or even between periods. No team plays the full 60 nowadays but even a full 45-50 is rare here. I know people like to blame players and they're partially at fault but I don't think that a talented team collectively has this many lapses in 'intensity'. I really think they need to overhaul how they practise or are conditioned because it has to be affecting them.

I know their sports science department deserves credit for injury recovery and how they've helped players in that regard and maybe they aren't at fault at all but the way the team is practising is not leading to game prepared-ness and we've seen this under two very different coaches now.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It’s not really the team’s responsibility to get the players in shape though, at least imo.

coach give you a day off and you were tired in the 3rd? Use the day to get into the gym, take some personal responsibility for your career.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
coach give you a day off and you were tired in the 3rd? Use the day to get into the gym, take some personal responsibility for your career.

I think you're referring to personal player conditioning. I'm referring more to team conditioning and game prep in general which comes more from practises or scrummages. I don't think their personal conditioning is an issue, I'm sure they're in as good shape as any other team or better since they're young. But their game prep seems flawed and that has to come from the team practise schedule.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think you're referring to personal player conditioning. I'm referring more to team conditioning and game prep in general which comes more from practises or scrummages. I don't think their personal conditioning is an issue, I'm sure they're in as good shape as any other team or better since they're young. But their game prep seems flawed and that has to come from the team practise schedule.

I am, it doesn’t seem like they are in good shape to me.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Reimer's last season, he had to play much because Bernier was already run down by Babcock.
Reimer played 3 games in 4 nights not only once and then had a groin injury in practise.
How could he play 3 in 4 and then even more practise. Babcock haha SMH

Then the medical department brought Reimer back much too early and Babcock threw them under the bus.

That should have been 2015-2016 season. The medical department, nothing to write home about

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I could be wrong but the sports science team is largely comprised of dual role employees who handle both the Raptors and the Leafs. One of the major advantages the Raps have is a top notch team, I don’t think this is where the Leafs are falling short in on ice performance.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a nice theory to let these guys off the hook, but if they were serious competitors and noticed a dip in endurance levels, would there not be a conversation about how they should change things up and be better? From players to coaches to sports science?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad