I think the Blues go From Missing the Playoffs to finishing as the #1 Seed in the West This season

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’m a big O’Reilly fan and was disappointed St. Louis got him: he’ll be a great player for the blues. That said, after watching Stastny in Winnipeg, I can’t agree that he’s a better player.
After watching him in stl for 3.5yrs, I confident in saying he is. Maroon had 13pts in 17 games with NJ... I would not expect that to be his new norm. Stastny is a 50ish point guy imo.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I think the Blues improved a lot, and I've seen some people who think along the lines I do who still don't love them, and that's been weird to me. All said... eh. Still think they're the third best team in that division, but that's mostly because Nashville and Winnipeg are bonkers-good.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
First bold, I'm gonna disagree on that one entirely. I'd prefer Berglund to Bozak.

Second Bold, I dont think it's a very big upgrade like some seem to think. ROR isn't a 1C and that's the role he's going to be asked to fill. I dont think it's going to go over nearly as well as others seem to think.

Also think there's some significantly high expectations on Thomas as well. There's no guarantee he's a better player than Thompson would have been next year for the Blues or anything. Lots of rookies struggle in the first couple of seasons in the NHL.

And as I alluded, they got worse in net. Allen is such a massive question mark and at least last year they had a reliable #2 who stepped up and kept the Blues in the playoff picture when Allen sucked. They dont have that #2 this year and if Allen struggles I expect it to snowball pretty fast.

I think they got marginally better offensively while also getting worse in net. It's ultimately all going to come down to the play of Allen.
I wont stake my life on Bozak and Berglund, but after seeing Berglund for years....he's at best not a liability. He has burst where you think he's finally going to be an impact player then he goes back to doing nothing and getting benched. I havnt really watched any shift to shifts of Bozak but generally I find conflicting reports.

I'm fine with Orielly being a little better but at the end of the day...he's still better. If he puts up 60pts, I'm happy.

Thomas is absolutely better then Thompson. I'd bet money on that. He's better then Fabbri

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Eagerly looking forward to watching the Burgundy Juggernaut collecting an easy ten points from them tbh

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I like what they did this offseason, they're definitely a stronger team. I wish i could have more faith in Allen but he runs hot and cold too often and they're committed to him for 3 more years.
I'm not sure what they have for goalies in the pipeline, hopefully someone promising.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I want O’Reilly to do well surprisingly let’s just hope he finds his love for hockey again and if he has a bad year let’s hope he learns to be a bit better with the media and I love the blues Makeup.

Real question is can Allen handle the load and that’s been a question in st Louis with number ones like Elliott and others for a few years now. With brodeur there that cbs likely help. Losing Hutton as a backup may hurt. Not that Hutton is amazing but the best save percentage speaks volumes. The blues should also hope
That Tage Thompson doesent become what Blues scout projected him to be...but it’s not that big of a risk or loss as of now, sobotka is expendable sure... meh. We need depth the blues wanted top player so it looks More like a win win. I always say best players wins deal but 3-5 NHL pieces like Steve dangle said is never abbac trade. Especially since berglund could be a perfect third liner capable of 15-20 goals not saying he will but capabale. Then there’s two pretty decent picks. Low first and high second but anyways back to St. Louis.

The defense is sick the youngsters look great and tarasenko should bounce back. If rabbri gets healthy then they have one of the best top 9’s in the NHL.

I think they can be a playoff team I have them third.

Last edited:

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
They are going to be very, very good. And I do believe goaltending will be better.
Well, with words like this I can’t doubt you lol.

However, that said I also do think they can finish 1st in the central. Depends if Allen can be that playoff version of himself from 2017, if O’Reilly can continue to be a dominate two-way centerman, and of course have luck with injuries.

Reactions: byrath

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I have a soft spot for the blues since they don’t have a cup like us, I cheer for them every spring when I don’t have anyone to cheer for lol. Well them and ovi and since that’s over now for ovi, that I won’t cheer for him again but it’s not a priority for me now when watching and cheering on playoff teams.

Reactions: TK 421

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I like what they did this offseason, they're definitely a stronger team. I wish i could have more faith in Allen but he runs hot and cold too often and they're committed to him for 3 more years.
I'm not sure what they have for goalies in the pipeline, hopefully someone promising.

It's ok, nobody sane has faith in Jake Allen. I mean even Jake Allen doesn't have faith in Jake Allen.

They have 23 year old Ville Husso who has a ton of international experience and a lot of pro experience as well. He was recently voted the 6th or 7th best goalie prospect on the polls board and was AHL Best Rookie tender. Most of his pro experience so far was Liiga but he has serious starter potential and Doug Armstrong specifically cited "leaving light at the end of the tunnel for Husso" when explaining why Chad Johnson only got a 1 year deal.

He's the reason Blues management isn't freaking out going into a season with Allen starting and Johnson backing him up.

Reactions: bukwas

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
There will be no season for Blues unless Jake Allen finds himself again.

He's proved he has the nerves to play like elite, but the current stats are just redonkylously bad.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think the opposite. They are a very meh team. Best player is a winger, goaltending is a head case, no true #1 C. I don't see them making it out of the first round if they squeak in.
Pretty much this. Even the OPs prediction could happen but thell get knocked easy breasy out of the playoffs quite early again. Then next off season thell mess around with the lineup a little and this board will have thread after thread telling us how the next year will be different and they will go far and they will again be bounced early or like last year fail to even make the playoffs lol. Repeat...

Reactions: Kamiccolo

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
They look better on paper, but I actually think Allen is the x factor here. If he can play decent, they should get in, but I kind of think he falters and St. Louis misses again. That's how I have it predicted. I don't have them making it in solely because of goaltending. Maybe Husso steps in quicker than I thought, but I just don't have faith in their goaltending.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
This is gonna be a longgggggggg season if no one outside the blues fanbase can comment on the team without invoking the name of Allen

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Thomas and Kyrou are going to be stars in this league. A high end center and a blazing scoring winger are just what this teams needs. The top 9 looks really good without these two, imagine if they turn out great like I think. Also, they are getting young stud Fabbri back. He was heading to elite-ness before his ACL’s. And their top 4 D is elite.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Thomas and Kyrou are going to be stars in this league. A high end center and a blazing scoring winger are just what this teams needs. The top 9 looks really good without these two, imagine if they turn out great like I think. Also, they are getting young stud Fabbri back. He was heading to elite-ness before his ACL’s. And their top 4 D is elite.
I guess we all have dreams :biglaugh:

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Wasn't once, but I am not surprised with your response. Utter trash, as usual.
I think you should expect such responses when you claim St Louis' entire offense is a line too high

Or did you think you can make outlandish comments without having anyone notice?

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Or did I say their C's and one of their wingers are too higher?

Don't let facts get in the way, though...
Explain to me how a 65+ point, top 3 faceoff man, and extremely strong defensively Ryan O'Reilly is not a 1C

Then explain to me how Schenn isnt a 2C and Bozak isnt a 3C too. Because claiming OReilly isnt a 1C can stand for a good debate but how the hell arent Schenn and Bozak perfect in their spots?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Explain to me how a 65+ point, top 3 faceoff man, and extremely strong defensively Ryan O'Reilly is not a 1C

Then explain to me how Schenn isnt a 2C and Bozak isnt a 3C too. Because claiming OReilly isnt a 1C can stand for a good debate but how the hell arent Schenn and Bozak perfect in their spots?

I think ROR exceeds 70 points this year centering Tarasenko. Could be even more depending who plays LW

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Sorry, how many seasons does O'Rielly have at 65+ points again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad