Proposal: I proposed this trade for McGinn on the Sabres boards, thoughts?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Can we just give them Cole instead :laugh:

:laugh: Buffalo is quite generous these days. Although I suppose Foligno might have fallen out of favor. I haven't really followed Buffalo lately.

Yeah some people seem to fawn over Foligno but I honestly think it's a question mark at best that he's in their long term plans.

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Well we can't trade Bennett now haha

Eh. When a team's third to last in scoring and not expecting to make the playoffs, they can roll the dice on the rights to weird, low percentage, long-shot projects in exchange for outbound UFAs. Maybe not 1-1, but I could see dice rolls as something Buffalo wouldn't dismiss out of hand.

Whether Murray, Bylsma and Craig Patrick would be interested in taking a flier on this particular guy is probably up in the air, but the concept of wanting to give a guy like him a one year look isn't dead on arrival for a franchise in their position.

Patrick bought low on a Straka who looked to be washing out with the Panthers at about the same point in his career. Granted, Straka wasn't nearly as banged up and was a lot better/more versatile when he did play, but it's still sort of an apples to apples situation.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
The inclusion of Bennett is there to both clear cap space to make the cap hits even for this season. For Buffalo, he's a low risk high reward player, even if he's probably a low probability of being high reward, but he's still someone we have seen look comfortable in a top six role if and when he's healthy. They're more interested in Cole, but Bennett I think is definitely a piece that sweetens the pot based on what I said previously (albeit not by a whole lot), and the swap of picks seems fair and in line with what we're willing to part with.

Kunitz/McGinn-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz/McGinn-Bonino-Fehr
Porter/Sheary/Kuhnackel/Plotnikov-Cullen-Rust

Although actually, maybe they'd prefer taking the flier on Plots instead of Bennett, since Byslma seems to like his fourth line guys, and we're misusing him here.

Dumoulin-Letang
Maata-Daley
Pouliot-Lovejoy

At this point, we still have all of our highest picks that we hadn't parted with previously, Sprong, Pouliot, Jarry, and Murray. Not saying we should sell the farm, but if we wanted to still make a big move, this move doesn't stop us, clears up space long term and it makes us a lot more balanced at forward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
McGinn is also a huge question mark, I mean granted I would like to get rid of Ian Cole's contract, there's no way Bylsma is going to be a fan of Beau being on his team, that just spells the end of that kid's career and I would hate to see that, as selfish as it may seem.

Anyway, McGinn has a very concerning degenerative back issue, it's not something that is "taken care of" it's a ticking time bomb for when his career is over. That can happen at some point this season as well. If McGinn didn't have those issues with his back, he would have never been moved in the first place.

Re: Bennett.

I'd rather it's with a team that is happy to use kids on their roster and give them a shot. It seems as though most of the young players the Pens move don't really pan out, outside of Despres. Even if it's for a pick, with the way this franchise treats players...I hope it's to a place where they can at least have a career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad